5 000 to 100 000 with one year

• Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      I've played NL SH game less than year, I haven't played so many hands, but moved up quite quickly. I feel that I can beat NL 100 level and moved lately up to NL 200. Just don´t have any motivation playing right now, so I thought that I take up a challenge. Make 5 000$ to 100 000$ starting from 1st of July 2008 and my last deadline is 30th of June 2009.

Rules:
      - I follow next bankroll management rule: move up to the next level with 25 buy-in; move down 20 buy-in.
      - I can cash out maximum 1/5th of my bankroll if I reach to 50 buy-in. (so my first cashout can be when I reach 10 000 mark, second one 20 000 and so on). Edit: After reaching 30 000 mark I can cash out as much I find it necessary for security purposes.
      - Edit: rakeback money and bonuses would be considered as part of earnings.
      - I don´t have to play x- hands per day/week/month.
      - I can make two extra cashouts or buddy transfer (for example to participate BoD or some other good events at Pokerstar)
      - I can play all the games which Fulltilt offers, mostly I would play NL SH and Tournaments (including some FTOPS events)
      -For personal reasons I can end the challenge every time I want to.

That should be all, if something remembers then I'll add it to the rules.

I won't talk my success/failure as $, but as points, since don't really like to think it as of money, but as game

Trying to add weakly overviews and if I get some good days then also add these+ maybe some thoughts and hands+analyzes about different situations

Since I had successful July so far then started game quite nicely and made 900 points. Today going to play some 26 points tourneys, let you know if I reached somewhere @ FT.

Current bankroll 5907 points.

Let the game begin.
  • 15 replies
    • lilprincess
      lilprincess
      Bronze
      lol at points :D
    • helemaalnicks
      helemaalnicks
      Bronze
      [x] financial goals
      [ ] volume goals (nr. hands)

srry, just never see it happen. No way you can make it without playing a ton of hands every month. not cashing out more makes no sense to me either.

I won't talk my success/failure as $, but as points, since don't really like to think it as of money, but as game

it IS money, thats why I advice you to cash out a lot more. Moving up in limits isnt that easy, you wont need all the money in your bankroll. Playing the limit because you want to/you feel comfortable playing at > brm imo. Makes no sense to set such ambitious goals without putting in some serious volume imo. Look at the top 100. The people who make the kinda money you're talking about are all in the top5, and all diamond (swiss, me, undercover, etc). There is nothing wrong with playing for fun, and regarding poker a hobby that can make you some extra's. However, doing that and having high expectations is not the best idea imo.

Other then that, still GL!
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Thank Nick for good advise.
      I know what you're trying to say: I shouldn't set myself goal, which I would hardly accomplish or doesn't put enough effort to achieve it.
      But actually I don't care :D

Poker hasn't never been about the money: for me it is making good decisions, trying to play better than others and hopefully money comes with that. I could fail big time, since I really haven't got so far any big downswing, but still I doesn't care.

To me it is just about game and if I'm still @ NL 200 or NL 100 or even NL 50, then I can accept that it wasn't meant to be player who makes enough money with poker.

But before if I give up I want to try where I could reach^^

Anyway back to the project. Played yesterday two 26 buy-in tourneys: 24 gtd and 9,5 gtd KO. Reached FT @ 24 gtd and I believe that I played all the tourney well. Maybe only one hand where BU open raised, I had 55 and decided to call with 10BB and go fit or fold mode: push with any Q,K,A flop; BB also called. Flop was 467 and I shoved, BB called TT and BU folded. Turn was 8, so I almost tripled up. But I should have just jam it in pf. Although I know that I probably wasn't no fold equity, he could still steal with A2 or 33.
      But another hands I played imo good, but lost a some flips and situations where I was ahead pf 33 vs AJ (pot committed call- he rivers flush); AK vs AQ- he rivered straight, but I played aggressively, stole enough, made one good re-steal and reached FT 7-th stack and 8BB. Finally I got 8-th place. Openshoved 96s from BU and BB made crying call with ATs :)

Got smt like 570 points and reached 6439 mark. (Sadly first place was 5800, but even @ FT I believe that you should play the first place and get your chips in if you believe that you have enough fold equity or you're ahead players calling range. )

Second 9,5 gtd ko tourney ended when player his his straight on the river against my tptk, so there I didn't reach itm.

Played also one satellite to 26 token (can participate in any 26 buy-in tourney), with buy-in 5+0,5. Reached quite easily ahead, so probably playing today also 24gtd tourney and probably also some others. Let you know how it turned out. Hopefully some day I can finally win some tourney :)
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      heh) good job
      seems like your ultra nitty style pays off))
      for those who don't know:
      kaitz plays only QQ-KK and sometimes AK (not very often))
      and only when he feels there is not enough time to wait for AA :P
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
      Interresting challenge, and incredibly funny that u call it points :D
      GL with it, hope to hear from u soon
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Originally posted by xylere
      heh) good job
      seems like your ultra nitty style pays off))
      for those who don't know:
      kaitz plays only QQ-KK and sometimes AK (not very often))
      and only when he feels there is not enough time to wait for AA :P
      :D :D :D
      That tourney I luckily got 4xAA (once against KK^^), other two times too down blinds and one multiway pot with contibet.
      This hand is my favourite:
      I have 100K, BU 140K, blinds 5000/10000
      I raise UTG 12K JTs (for deception :) ), BU calls.
      Flop T74, I check, he bets 22K I shove. Should I slowplay tp :D ?
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Yesterday played 2 tourneys and 2 satellites.
      No success on 24 gtd and 9,5 ko tourney. I think I played both fine, just got unlucky at some hands and finally busted QQ vs KK vs AK @ 24 gtd (A on the river :) ) and KQ vs KJ J on the flop. Now I've played three 9,5 gtd ko tourneys and haven't reached itm. Either I'm playing bad or just a variation. Either way going to play 7 tourneys more and if I don't reach itm, then I stop playing them fro a while.
      5,5 satelitte for 26 token went also bad. Busted out 99 vs smt (didn't notice which hand called when pushed from mp 8 bb), but other satellite 26 for 216 buy-in FTOPS 1st event (1 million guaranteed) went very good. 42 participants and 4 tickets, 5th place got 72$ and 6-th 28$. I sucked out once when pushed my A4s from BU and got called AQ (should folded probably with 10BB).
      Then made probably good laydown with AK. I open raised from MP and BB pushed. I believe that BB pushing range is JJ+, AK, so I'd be mostly flipping or be behind. I had 18BB and BB had me cover. No need to take the chance with 15 players left.
      FT was very tight, mostly people opened with very good hands and often SB open folded with 7-8 BB. Anyway I stole enough to keep me for 3-th to 6th place and finally AK meet KK, TT vs AA and 2 players out quite a short time.
      I probably made one mistake: 5 players left. Shortstack pushes with 3 BB, BU calls (he had 6BB), I find K9o in SB (I had 12 BB). This should be autocall, unless I put shortstack on aces. But I thought that if shortstack doubles up, then BU is shortstack and probably he is out at the next 2 hands.
      But since I had enough chips I should call, since there is good enough chance that we could bust shortstack (and since BU was good player then we 100% check down the pot, even if one of us should hit fullhouse/quads on the flop :) )
      Finally BU got bad beat when chipleader limped! UTG with 55 and BU checked. Flop K82- shortstacked pushed K4 and chipleader called with 55, turn 7, river 5.

Total 6384, not sure if going to play today BoD or 24 gtd, since I have to wake up 7. am tomorrow to catch the train.
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Luckily no worries for staying up late tonight. Played two tourneys: 26 buy-in 24 gtd and 11 ko. After two hour both tourneys are over.
      Made one nitty laydown on 24 gtd tourney with overpair. Blinds 15/30. UTG+1 raises 105, I make from CO 300, UTG calls. Flop J74, I bet 450 into 645 pot, he makes it 900. After thinking it a while I decided to let it go. Better play is probably call flop, shove most of the turns or shove directly (but then he wont probably call with Jx, but who knows).
      My reason to choose bet/fold line. Flop is dry, so he won't really representing nothing than Jx or set (if he is tricky, then also AA, KK are possible).
      So before calling or pushing I have to answer to questions: do I believe that villain can do this move with worse hand and if he can, would he call my shove?
      I thought that there shouldn't be any reason him to min-raise with Jx, since if I have AK, then I possible have 6 outs and if he min-raises then I'd shove with overpair. So I put him on JJ, AA or KK and decided that folding leaves me enough chips (2300- 76bb) to play ahead. But all my analyzes might be wrong: fish thinks: hmm tp, he probably has AK or TT, lets re-raise to get it all-in :)
      So general suggestion: don't fold overpair on 3-bet pot :) Finally blinded to 10BB, MP made min-raise, BU called and I decided to call 1 BB and shove opn good flops. 7TQ seemed good enough, BU called tpmk and I was out.

Other tourney didn't get any hands. FInally open pushed 10BB with A6 after there had been 3 limpers and got called by A7 :) . 7 on the flop and that was all.

Dropped to 6341 points. Playing next week hopefully a lot NL 200. And maybe can give some good news and if I have time, then some graphs and hands.
    • nicusormihai
      nicusormihai
      Bronze
      Let us know how many points you made so far :)
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Hmm, a little more than 8350
      But I´m facing serious problem. I find nl 200 to be quite hard comparing to nl 100 where I crush the tables. Just have to get better and think how to handle constant 3-bettors, hopefully find answer soon enough and can crush nl 200 regulars.
      Also table selecting should be considered. But I can´t find tables with high vpip, so there aren´t so many fishes and other 5 players are mostly winning or break even players. So if I can´t beat nl 200 then I should move to the other site or stay at nl 100 and still making 2k-3k every month, if I play 30K hands per month.
    • timukasr
      timukasr
      Bronze
      Yeah, everybody are talking that skill difference between NL100 and NL200 is huge (some say that NL400 is even more simpler to beat than NL200).
    • TribunCaesar
      TribunCaesar
      Bronze
      That's definitely not true. Actually the skill gap between Nl 100 and Nl200 isn't as big as the gap between Nl200 and Nl400.
    • timukasr
      timukasr
      Bronze
      Oh...
    • Talic
      Talic
      Bronze
      Hi Kaitz! We would like to see your stats from Nl SH, I'm sure I would learn a much from them :)

IMO I play better when I think about the money as money, then I awoid pretty hard decisions when I have bad cards and I have to outplay my oponent if I want take the pot down.
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Sure, why not.
      NL 100 should be smt 22/18/3,5 if I remember it correctly
      nl 200 18/15/3. I try to add screenshot my HM database