[NL20-NL50] nl20 QQ, A Standard River Fold vs Aggro Guy?

• Ghartman
      $0.10/$0.20 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

Hero (SB): $38.41 (192 bb)
      BB: $27.24 (136.2 bb)
      UTG: $20 (100 bb)
      MP: $17.51 (87.6 bb)
      CO: $20.20 (101 bb)
      BTN: $23.29 (116.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q Q
      UTG folds, MP raises to $0.60, 2 folds, Hero raises to $1.70, BB folds, MP calls $1.10

Flop: ($3.60) J 6 4 (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.90, MP calls $1.90

Turn: ($7.40) 5 (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP checks

River: ($7.40) T (2 players)
      Hero bets $3.50, MP raises to $13.91 and is all-in, Hero folds

$14.40 pot ($0.72 rake)
      Final Board: J 6 4 5 T
      Hero mucked Q Q and lost (-$7.10 net)
      MP mucked and won $13.68 ($6.58 net)

Ok, a couple of questions regarding this hand. This was played on the Anon tables so my HEM stats won't be accurate. If I remember correctly though, villain was pretty aggro, raising 5x UTG sometimes, check raising a lot etc.. I had been playing pretty snug, not getting too out of line, and just pulling in some small/medium pots here and there.

With him being aggro, I went for small sizings pre and on the flop, hoping to induce, but he didn't bite. First question is, should I be betting this turn, maybe bet fold or bet re-evaluate? And obviously, is the river an ok fold, or would looking him up be a mistake? He played it like a flush but the block bet on the river could be seen as weakness on my part, maybe I'm just leveling myself. Let me know what you think.

• 1 reply
    • EmanuelC16

Whether passive or aggressive, bad players have one thing in common: they call too much. My plan here would be to just stick to the best value sizings. Those induce from bad aggressive as well while still guaranteeing value.

My play in the hand would be 2 - 2.20 pre, 3.80-4 on the flop as a cbet and shove any turn.

With your sizings you have to bet turn and river to get his stack. Your hand can't get AI profitably by betting twice when the flush completes imo. You can consider :

- check /call turn, check /decide river if he doesn't float too wide.
      - check / shove turn vs wide floater and non-believer. Overpair +redraw is good enough to get it with some dead money.
      - bet turn and shove river vs complete station.