[NL2-NL10] AJo vs. btn raiser

• sketchzr
      sketchzr
      Bronze
      I think I could've ended up near enough stacking off with this hand but the river made a split pot.

Villain has raised on the btn: 60 (5) and c-bet: 100(3)

He is LAG.

I raise the turn since he could be barrelling with a draw or hold a weaker ace.

I think I could have even raised a flop like this to take it down there.

Poker Stars $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em - 6 players
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

Hero (BB): $11.01
      UTG: $4.65
      MP: $8.09
      CO: $5.23
      BTN: $10.51
      SB: $10.00

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero is BB with A:spade: J:heart:
      3 folds, BTN raises to $0.40, 1 fold, Hero calls $0.30

Flop: ($0.85) 2:club: 5:diamond: 2:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $0.60, Hero calls $0.60

Turn: ($2.05) A:heart: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $1.50, Hero raises to $3, BTN calls $1.50

River: ($8.05) A:club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $4.30, BTN calls $4.30

Final Pot: $16.65
      Hero shows A:spade: J:heart: (a full house, Aces full of Deuces)
      BTN shows Q:spade: A:diamond: (a full house, Aces full of Deuces)
      Hero wins $7.95
      BTN wins $7.95
      (Rake: $0.75)
  • 3 replies
    • kymupa
      kymupa
      Bronze
      Hello,

Preflop is fine.

How much does he bet on the turn? I think this is important since if he has to barrel a lot on the turn as well, I would prefer to muck this on the flop, since we will have hard time calling with A high on the turn OOP.

As played, I prefer just calling the turn. I think raising is a little bit of overplaying and we don't really want to see a 3bet here.

On the river I'd just shove here.

Best,
      Plamen
    • sketchzr
      sketchzr
      Bronze
      Originally posted by kymupa
      Hello,

Preflop is fine.

How much does he bet on the turn? I think this is important since if he has to barrel a lot on the turn as well, I would prefer to muck this on the flop, since we will have hard time calling with A high on the turn OOP.

As played, I prefer just calling the turn. I think raising is a little bit of overplaying and we don't really want to see a 3bet here.

On the river I'd just shove here.

Best,
      Plamen
      Only tracked him going to the turn once and that was in this hand so 100(1)

And I agree, probably should have folded but on a flop like this I guess it can be tempting to call out c-better when they most likely have nothing, and could end up checking to me on a blank turn giving me a spot to take the pot.
    • kymupa
      kymupa
      Bronze
      Well yeah I agree that most of the time they have air here but then the hand doesn't end on the flop, right?

If we call here we have to plan how to play the later streets and how to take down the pot there.

I think AJ has good value in calling, since we have A high has decent SD value here (in case he checks the turn) and he is probably going to barrel J/A on the turn.

Overall, I would say that calling is fine but only if we have a good plan how to play the hand on the later streets.