[NL20-NL50] [NL25 SH] 55 SBvsBB (hero call)

• Optroot
      Optroot
      Bronze
      Taking a shot at NL25. Only played ~40 hands at the table, my stats were probably something like 20/15 at the time. I had only defended one blind so far, he could think I'm defending really tight in this spot.

Villain (SB) is 45/30 with 18% 3b and AF of 6.0 over 35 hands, no interesting showdowns, but he was very aggressive.

Preflop: Rather set-mine+ with this player since he was so agressive, he could easily bluff off his stack when we hit. 3b is overplayed IMO, he was active preflop, so I didn't want to get 4b. I put villain on a wide range in this spot something around about 70%.

Flop: The aggressive opponent chose not to c-bet this board, I assume he isn't going for c/r here. His range is now mostly missed low hands, some crappy Axo/Kxo, some Txs,Jxs with no fd. Maybe 22-66 but I think he still c-bets these. I decided not to bet because I did not want to get c/r bluffed, even against this range I can't really call. I decided to turn my hand in to a bluff catcher and play cautiously.

Turn: This is a scary card, but it doesn't really help either villains or my range. He can have some Tx,Jx (no clubs) here, but I think he's turning the rest of his range into a bluff on this card, because he probably thinks I can't call here. Since it's a club he probably thinks he needs two barrels to get me off a random club. He also bet only 1/3 pot, I don't expect him to do this with Jx here, so I feel like his range is mostly Ax/Kx/Tx below 7. Decided to continue bluff catching, we have the 5c just in case. Would fold non-club 55 here.

River: He could have played a Tx this way but I doubt he turns it into a bluff on the river. The 8 does not help his range at all, and it's a great card for him to bet (he thinks) to get me off a club. My 55 are way ahead of his range.

Please share your comments on my thought process!

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.1/$0.25 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)

Known players:
      BB (Hero):
      $25.56
      MP3:
      $25.45
      CO:
      $25.00
      BU:
      $33.42
      SB:
      $53.97

Preflop: Hero is BB with 5, 5.
      3 folds, SB raises to $0.75, Hero calls $0.50.

Flop: ($1.5) 8, 9, Q (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($1.5) T (2 players)
      SB bets $0.50, Hero calls $0.50.

River: ($2.5) 8 (2 players)
      SB bets $1.50, Hero calls $1.50.

Final Pot: $5.5.
  • 1 reply
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Optroot
      Preflop: Rather set-mine+ with this player since he was so agressive, he could easily bluff off his stack when we hit. 3b is overplayed IMO, he was active preflop, so I didn't want to get 4b. I put villain on a wide range in this spot something around about 70%.

That's not really true. In 35 hands he could just be getting some good hands. You can't much such huge assumptions that deviate from the average of NL25 in just 35 hands. Actually, this is the danger when moving up. You over-adjust and think everyone's out to get you.

Flop: The aggressive opponent chose not to c-bet this board, I assume he isn't going for c/r here. His range is now mostly missed low hands, some crappy Axo/Kxo, some Txs,Jxs with no fd. Maybe 22-66 but I think he still c-bets these. I decided not to bet because I did not want to get c/r bluffed, even against this range I can't really call. I decided to turn my hand in to a bluff catcher and play cautiously.

OK, here is where you start to confuse yourself imo. You first assume he is giving up, then you say you don't want to get check/raised as a bluff. Think what equity his bluffing range would have and what equity your hand has. It's very poor, any hand that raises he is not really bluffing you, is it? Do you mean to say he isn't going for a bluff check/raise with your first statement? If so, itsn't the decision against a raise so much easier than you make it seem?

Turn: This is a scary card, but it doesn't really help either villains or my range. He can have some Tx,Jx (no clubs) here, but I think he's turning the rest of his range into a bluff on this card, because he probably thinks I can't call here. Since it's a club he probably thinks he needs two barrels to get me off a random club. He also bet only 1/3 pot, I don't expect him to do this with Jx here, so I feel like his range is mostly Ax/Kx/Tx below 7. Decided to continue bluff catching, we have the 5c just in case. Would fold non-club 55 here.

What's villain's range? What's yours? That rest of the range he is bluffing with.. what equity does it have against your hand, what playability does your hand have and what showdown value? You don't beat enough of his bluffs to say you have a bluffcatcher here. I would now just fold.

River: He could have played a Tx this way but I doubt he turns it into a bluff on the river. The 8 does not help his range at all, and it's a great card for him to bet (he thinks) to get me off a club. My 55 are way ahead of his range.
      Hi,

I'm glad you posted your full thoughts here. Makes it easier to learn imo.

Overall, just bet with your very weak hand when someone clearly bet so far when they had a hand. Bet IP here, he should fold more than around the 35%-40% of the time you need them to if you bet a standard sizing and just end the hand there. Your hand has no playability or equity (see comments above).

Turn is a give up for the same reasons, river call is actually very very spewy. Bluffcatch with the best hands in your range here. Here's a hand I played where I was bluffing and my opponent made a huge mistake imo. He called with a bluffcatcher that was extremely far behind my bluffs and well, I got to make my sickest value bet ever because of it. I never got 1.7x called by worse when bluffing until then in such an obvious spot.

$0.50/$1 No Limit Holdem
      PokerStars
      6 Players
      Hand Conversion Powered by weaktight.com

Stacks:
      UTG ($261.04) 261bb
      UTG+1 ($287.67) 288bb
      CO ($100) 100bb
      BTN ($100.50) 101bb
      SB ($142.11) 142bb
      EmanuelC16 (BB) ($110.85) 111bb

Pre-Flop: ($1.50, 6 players) EmanuelC16 is BB A:diamond: 3:diamond:
      3 folds, BTN raises to $2, 1 fold, EmanuelC16 calls $1

Flop: A:club: K:club: 10:club: ($4.50, 2 players)
      EmanuelC16 checks, BTN checks

Turn: 9:club: ($4.50, 2 players)
      EmanuelC16 bets $3, BTN calls $3

River: 7:spade: ($10.50, 2 players)
      EmanuelC16 bets $17, BTN calls $17

Final Pot: $44.50
      BTN shows
      J:heart: K:spade:
      EmanuelC16 shows a pair of Aces
      A:diamond: 3:diamond:

EmanuelC16 wins $42.50 (net +$20.50)

BTN lost $22