back and fourth like a yo yo!

• PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      I've become what appears to be frozzen with my poker at the moment,

i'v had some pritty brutal swings recently and need some one to shed some

light at the end of the tunnle.

basically iv been having a downswing and then i have an upswing to get back to where i was

(maybe with a minutte amount on top) only to suffer another brutal downswing. i recoved

from this downswing yesterday and now im on another downswing.

i fully accept the realities of poker. but this varriance is like a yo yo i only stay hot for awhile before it all goes stale again.

how do i get through this and continue building upwards?

the above mentioned has been over the span of about 1,200 hands.

im managing to stay cool headed at the moment, but everytime i go back on a downswing

without any progress it get more demoralising

i need some serrious help please! long descriptive and opinionated answers would very much be appreachiated...thank you!
  • 8 replies
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      Hey PocketAcesJohn,

i'v had some pritty brutal swings recently and need some one to shed some

we all have them, learn how to deal with it

basically iv been having a downswing and then i have an upswing to get back to where i was

yeah, that's poker

downswing...downswing...downswing...

You have only 4 posts in our forums, so I would assume your downswing is x% just a bad play and that's for sure

the above mentioned has been over the span of about 1,200 hands.

well, some players on this forum play 3K+ hands per day. A lot of players started with breaking even for 50 000/100 000 hands. And thats absolutely normal. On average, you can expect any profits to show up after 1 year of hard work (studying). There are no easy money to be made in poker.

You have to be process oriented, not result oriented...
      Study the game - post hands, evaluate your sessions, visit coachings, reread articles, etc
      only this way you can improve
      thinking about your results won't make you a better player anyhow, even if results are positive

Start with learning our Psychology section

good luck
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      downswing...downswing...downswing...

You have only 4 posts in our forums, so I would assume your downswing is x% just a bad play and that's for sure

OMG I HAVE 4 POSTS?? I MUST BE BAD THEN

im not a bad player, i just sighned up at your site last week.
      i've been playing 2 years and have a built up bankroll of just over $4,000
      i fully accept varrience and all the realities of poker.

but to date havent experienced anything as brutal as this before.
      i was looking for some help with how to deal with it psychologicaly
      because as i said its gettin demoralising.
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze

You have to be process oriented, not result oriented...
      Study the game - post hands, evaluate your sessions, visit coachings, reread articles, etc
      only this way you can improve
      thinking about your results won't make you a better player anyhow, even if results are positive

Start with learning our Psychology section

good luck[/quote]

the aboove help is appreachiated
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      Its 1.3k hands, wtf. If you have been playing for 2 years why are you complaining about a 1.3k hand break even spell. I can play 5-6k hands a day, and still have loosing days. Your statements show inexperiance, and by stating: "OMG I HAVE 4 POSTS?? I MUST BE BAD THEN" you are just being sarcastic, which will get you knowere, especially as xylere is right in everything he said.

You came here looking for reasurrance, and we cant give you any tbh. Come back when you have 100k hands break even. But until then post hands, read articles, watch videos, and go to coachings. Dont think your too good to do these things, because it will bite you on the arse in the form of busto. Do you think pro's stop working on their game when they get to were they are? Start posting on the forum, giving other people advice, dont just come here looking for reasurrance. As you have found, you wont get it very often.

Hard work, Hard work FTW!
      Stiev
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      Well
      first of all, i had no intentions to insult you anyhow)

what i meant is:
      everyone play worse when he is running bad, even top pros
      but they can make the difference almost invisible

but i have to agre with cannell555, your story is quite...mhh... strange) (again, don't want to insult you)
      you play for 2 years and never experienced 1.2k breakeven thing?
      I mean, its not just not "brutal", its simply super standard for all of us
      and i play poker for less then a year)
    • Velak
      Velak
      Bronze
      G'day John..

When I first read some of the replies to you, I felt they were a bit... I don't know. Unsympathetic.. harsh, maybe. Hard to describe.

But, actually, when I started to reply to your posts, I realized my reply, reading it back, actually sounded the same way. I'm trying to re-write it now, but.. please realize that we are all here to offer advice and support, and also realize that English is not always someone's first language, and sometimes what someone says, may not come out the way they intended. I am sure that xylere had no intention of insulting you, but I understand how it appeared that way.

Now.. with that said, I have to agree with all the replies you've been given. Xylere was 100% correct in all his responses to you.

A 1,200 hand breakeven swing? that's nothing to complain about. Actually, that's not even a "swing". Many (most?) of us here play more hands than that in a day, and if I have a breakeven day.. I'm happy with it. (It's not breakeven any more when you consider rakeback/vpp's, or other incentives).

I play SSS, and most of my days I am fortunate enough to end up ahead of where I started. But it wasn't always that way, and of course I still have bad days as well.

1.2k hands isn't even enough to begin any calculations on. Wait until you have 40k hand downswings. =) It can happen.

You sound like a beginner (and I am too, we all are, really.. this is a game you study for life) who hasn't learned yet to accept the ups and downs of this game. Over time, you will (or you won't make it playing poker).

Try to play every hand as a new hand. Forget about the previous one, once it's over. It's history. There is nothing you can do now to change it. You can only do what you can, with the cards you currently have. Focus on making the right decisions with the cards in front of you, and forget about the past ones.

Then, after your play session, I would recommend going back over your play with a tool like PokerTracker, Elephant, or Holdem Manager, and analyzing it. Look at all the hands you won money on, and also all the hands you lost money on. Did you really play them properly? Did you make mistakes? Make notes on the mistakes to help you uncover trends and leaks in your game.

You have to constantly WORK to improve at this game through study. Don't forget to utilize the free resources here, like these forums, the strategy articles, videos, and coachings

If you want to be successful at this game, it's certainly possible, but it's not easy. It takes lots of study and hard work.

Good skill to you!
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      Originally posted by xylere
      Well
      first of all, i had no intentions to insult you anyhow)

what i meant is:
      everyone play worse when he is running bad, even top pros
      but they can make the difference almost invisible

but i have to agre with cannell555, your story is quite...mhh... strange) (again, don't want to insult you)
      you play for 2 years and never experienced 1.2k breakeven thing?
      I mean, its not just not "brutal", its simply super standard for all of us
      and i play poker for less then a year)

sorry for been so hastey, i may of just interperated what you saod thhe wrong way. so appogise there, i understand what you where saying now in the correct context and i appreachiate the addivice
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Velak
      G'day John..

When I first read some of the replies to you, I felt they were a bit... I don't know. Unsympathetic.. harsh, maybe. Hard to describe.

But, actually, when I started to reply to your posts, I realized my reply, reading it back, actually sounded the same way. I'm trying to re-write it now, but.. please realize that we are all here to offer advice and support, and also realize that English is not always someone's first language, and sometimes what someone says, may not come out the way they intended. I am sure that xylere had no intention of insulting you, but I understand how it appeared that way.

Now.. with that said, I have to agree with all the replies you've been given. Xylere was 100% correct in all his responses to you.

A 1,200 hand breakeven swing? that's nothing to complain about. Actually, that's not even a "swing". Many (most?) of us here play more hands than that in a day, and if I have a breakeven day.. I'm happy with it. (It's not breakeven any more when you consider rakeback/vpp's, or other incentives).

I play SSS, and most of my days I am fortunate enough to end up ahead of where I started. But it wasn't always that way, and of course I still have bad days as well.

1.2k hands isn't even enough to begin any calculations on. Wait until you have 40k hand downswings. =) It can happen.

You sound like a beginner (and I am too, we all are, really.. this is a game you study for life) who hasn't learned yet to accept the ups and downs of this game. Over time, you will (or you won't make it playing poker).

Try to play every hand as a new hand. Forget about the previous one, once it's over. It's history. There is nothing you can do now to change it. You can only do what you can, with the cards you currently have. Focus on making the right decisions with the cards in front of you, and forget about the past ones.

Then, after your play session, I would recommend going back over your play with a tool like PokerTracker, Elephant, or Holdem Manager, and analyzing it. Look at all the hands you won money on, and also all the hands you lost money on. Did you really play them properly? Did you make mistakes? Make notes on the mistakes to help you uncover trends and leaks in your game.

You have to constantly WORK to improve at this game through study. Don't forget to utilize the free resources here, like these forums, the strategy articles, videos, and coachings

If you want to be successful at this game, it's certainly possible, but it's not easy. It takes lots of study and hard work.

Good skill to you!

thank you for the reply its greatly appreachiated, yeah i agree what i said was quite forcefully written...so i appologise for any offences that may have been taken.

wow a 40,000 downswing. put my situation into context really.

unfortunatly i odnt have the time to play that many hands a day, id say id play anything form 500 to 2000 a day. i know varrience is part of the game and we have to accept that (which i do) i was just looking for some help on how to deal with it mentally.