This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] [NL5 SH] AA postflop

• Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Poker Stars $5.00 No Limit Hold'em - 5 players
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

Hero (SB): $5.03 - VPIP: 23, PFR: 19, 3B: 8, AF: 3.9, Hands: 21586
      BB: $4.93 - VPIP: 27, PFR: 9, 3B: 0, AF: 0.0, Hands: 11
      UTG: $9.09 - VPIP: 29, PFR: 7, 3B: 0, AF: 1.0, Hands: 45
      CO: $5.76 - VPIP: 34, PFR: 29, 3B: 18, AF: 1.3, Hands: 35
      BTN: $18.34 - VPIP: 27, PFR: 22, 3B: 4, AF: 1.5, Hands: 67

Pre Flop: ($0.07) Hero is SB with A :spade: A :diamond:
      UTG calls $0.05, 2 folds, Hero raises to $0.25, BB calls $0.20, UTG calls $0.20

Flop: ($0.75) T :club: 9 :diamond: 4 :spade: (3 players)
      Hero bets $0.50, BB raises to $1, UTG calls $1, Hero calls $0.50

Turn: ($3.75) J :club: (3 players)
      Hero bets $1.80, BB folds, UTG calls $1.80

River: ($7.35) 5 :club: (2 players)
      Hero checks, UTG checks

Flop I just call, because if we raise here, only stronger will continue.

I'm not sure about my turn bet. At this point, we have about a pot bet left, but as the flop developed, I don't feel like shipping on the turn.

What you think would be the best turn line? TY
  • 6 replies
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Hi.

"Flop I just call, because if we raise here, only stronger will continue.

Perhaps this is true.

I'm not sure about my turn bet. At this point, we have about a pot bet left, but as the flop developed, I don't feel like shipping on the turn."

The Turn got worse, and your relative hand strength with AA got worse on the Turn.

Using this logic, I think 3betting Flop makes much more sense than calling and then leading the Turn when your hand equity decreased.

It's a pretty nasty spot, and I would not lead. If it gets checked around then I would bet the River.

Thanks
    • Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Hi mbml,

Yeah, this hand did my head in. I don't like my turn bet either, but if we check, do we play check/fold? The pot is already so big, so we can't really check/call much.
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      It's really tough. I think it's probably a check/fold due to the coordination of the board. If UTG has Tx I expect him to check back the Flop very often when the Jack overcard comes on the Turn.

I'm starting to think that 3betting Flop might just be the better play. I am not too worried about UTG having me beat, he can have so many TX on the Flop given that he is a loose passive player. So my main concern is the BB. And if he is capable of raising the Flop either for thin value or as a bluff, then I think 3betting seems to be the better option with AA.

So I'll probably go with that.
    • Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      It's really tough. I think it's probably a check/fold due to the coordination of the board. If UTG has Tx I expect him to check back the Flop very often when the Jack overcard comes on the Turn.

I'm starting to think that 3betting Flop might just be the better play. I am not too worried about UTG having me beat, he can have so many TX on the Flop given that he is a loose passive player. So my main concern is the BB. And if he is capable of raising the Flop either for thin value or as a bluff, then I think 3betting seems to be the better option with AA.

So I'll probably go with that.

Well, when a sandwiched BB raised my CB 3-handed, I didn't really think: "oh, this guy must be bluffing!" :f_biggrin:

So you think that we should 3B-shove here, and expect OESD and TP to come along? Still seems a bit too optimistic for me, tbh.

Cuz even if we expect BB to bluff, isn't re-bluffing him is kinda a waste of a decent made hand?
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      of course if i say to 3b, i mean to do it for value. if not there's really no point in 3betting the flop.

it's a tough spot for sure. the good thing is that he made a min-raise, which may be the nuts or some weak raise. ultimately it's just really tough to play OOP vs 2 players.

"So you think that we should 3B-shove here, and expect OESD and TP to come along? Still seems a bit too optimistic for me, tbh."

I will never recommend this play at higher limits where players are more solid. But when you are playing NL5 where people do stuff without too much thought, I think it is very possible for BB to raise TX/QJ here and stack off.
    • Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Oh, I see. Yeah, for value it's kinda dodgy as well, but might work on NL5, no doubt.

Thanks!