Hero (UTG): $5.00 - VPIP: 23, PFR: 19, 3B: 8, AF: 3.9, Hands: 21586
      MP: $3.73 - VPIP: 27, PFR: 9, 3B: 0, AF: 0.0, Hands: 11
      CO: $13.26 - VPIP: 29, PFR: 7, 3B: 0, AF: 1.0, Hands: 45
      BTN: $5.39 - VPIP: 34, PFR: 29, 3B: 18, AF: 1.3, Hands: 35
      SB: $2.25 - VPIP: 17, PFR: 17, 3B: 0, AF: 4.5, Hands: 53
      BB: $18.34 - VPIP: 27, PFR: 22, 3B: 4, AF: 1.5, Hands: 67

Pre Flop: ($0.07) Hero is UTG with Q :diamond: A :heart:
      Hero raises to $0.17, MP calls $0.17, 4 folds

Flop: ($0.41) 5 :spade: A :diamond: 9 :heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.25, MP raises to $0.70, Hero calls $0.45

Turn: ($1.81) J :spade: (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP bets $0.65, Hero calls $0.65

River: ($3.11) J :heart: (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP bets $2.21, Hero calls $2.21

River is a good card for us, because now we beat A5 and A9 (and the fishy guy might not necessarily realize that). He might also have AJ, and 55/99 boat, though AJ should not raise the flop.

His A5/A9 hands have more combos than 55/99, so I decide to call.
  • 5 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi German,

preflop: looks fine

Postflop: On these boards we are WA/WB (so few draws/semibluffs that can raise) so without reads I tend to be a bit more passive and fold.

However if you do call flop calling down or even ck/shove turn is fine.
    • Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Hi Bogdan,

Fold the flop? It's a bit hard for me to comprehend...so we open AQ to fold on a dry A board? I know that in theory there's nothing weaker that should raise us...but in practice, don't people just raise with some random hands on unfavorable boards?

Also, why do we shove the turn?

TY
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by Th334
      Hi Bogdan,

Fold the flop? It's a bit hard for me to comprehend...so we open AQ to fold on a dry A board? I know that in theory there's nothing weaker that should raise us...but in practice, don't people just raise with some random hands on unfavorable boards?

Also, why do we shove the turn?

TY
      If you think you are ahead on the turn and are afraid of villain check back river (since he is IP) or if you know villain can raise speculative hands that improve on the turn and he now calls with them (like backdoor spade draws, backdoor straight draws, etc.)

The problem you have with your AQ is that as soon as you get raised you are bluffcatching.

People can and will raise as a bluff but at the lower limits you will hardly find enough bluffs so just folding won't make you "exploitable" and you won't lose a huge edge.

Fishy/tight guys rarely raise 1p hands there like A8 or TT. You are facing 2p/sets a fair amount of the time and maybe a slowplayed AK.

You don't have to fold because he doesn't rep a ton but you are often far better off at these limits to play fit/fold versus raises from unknown fishy guys.
    • Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Alright, thanks, Bogdan.

Did I get you right? My default assumption should be that fishy/tight guys are straightforward on dry boards, so we fold 1P type hands without much potential to a flop raise, unless we notice that they are overly aggressive postflop.

(so we infer that they can bluff on dry boards too).
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by Th334
      Alright, thanks, Bogdan.

Did I get you right? My default assumption should be that fishy/tight guys are straightforward on dry boards, so we fold 1P type hands without much potential to a flop raise, unless we notice that they are overly aggressive postflop.

(so we infer that they can bluff on dry boards too).
      Yes, but it's not just dry boards. It's usually in general. While on the wet boards there are draws possible and maybe one pair hands raise it's also more unlikely from passive/tight guys.