[NL2-NL10] playing sss on nl4

• straddler71
      straddler71
      Global
      Having a little problem on nl4. I start with the minimum buyin of $2.00. I wait and wait for a premium hand thats listed in the shc. Im looking for aa, kk, ak, ak, qq, powerful hands like that. Lets go through a hypothetical situation.

Im utg +3, 2 players limp in front of me, I raise 4 times the big blind + 1 additional blind for the two limpers. I raise $0.24 in total. Lets say the button calls and one of the limpers calls. There is now $0.82 cents in the pot. Lets assume I started out the hand with $1.80, my raise leaves me with $1.56. I have ak. Flop comes out, its an ace, nine and a two. Rainbow flop and no straight draw possible. Looks like a pretty safe flop for me. Action is checked to me Im second to act. I bet two thirds of the pot lets say I bet $0.60 cents, the button folds but the early position caller calls. Im now scared to death, Im representing the ace but he still calls. I now have $0.94 cents left in my stack. The pot is now at $2.02. The turn comes lets say its a five. Still looks like a safe card for me. Im now pot committed I've commited almost half my stack to this pot. I think I may be beat at this point since the other player called my big bet. I can't check because my opponent will bet, I can either check/fold or I can bet the rest of my stack. I usually bet the rest. Im not usually up against two pair, usually the other player has a set and im drawing nearly dead. Lets say he had a set and I lost the hand.

Here are my questions.

1) Should I raise more preflop? If so how much?
      2) Once I've hit my card on the flop, should I just move in?

In question 1 if I raise more preflop maybe I can get some of the players with small pairs to fold.

In question 2 my sss basically leaves me with a preflop raise, big bet after the flop, and the rest of my stack after the turn. Since most of my money is in the pot after the flop(preflop raise and bet after the flop) doesn't it make more sense just to move in after the flop. And if someone has me beat so be it. I know by doing that I will only get called with a better hand. But maybe someone will call me with aq, aj, qq, jj or 10,10 where I would have them in a dominating position.

The shc is great for hands to play but it has a drawback. That is your not going to improve your hand all that much. If I play with a big ace a pair of aces is probably going to be my finishing hand. If I play aa, kk, jj, or 10, 10 that hand will probably have to stand up for me to win the hand. I don't flop sets all that often.

Also one more question.

Im not sure what to do with aj or kq. Lets say you pick that hand up in very early position. Shc says to raise but those hands seem to get me into alot of trouble in early position. What do you think? Thanks for any help?
  • 5 replies
    • shloogy
      shloogy
      Bronze
      push all in u on any turn.u r not usually vs a set.

u need to read and re-rad the articles.

about AJ KQ etc - don't play them.nl4 is so loose and passive that u will be rewarded when u have a big hands.dont need to make any fancy moves, any reads etc.
    • straddler71
      straddler71
      Global
      Hey shloogy. Thanks for the advice. I don't really like aj or kq anyways, always seem to run into a bigger hand. Usually when I make the two thirds bet after the flop I take it. But when I get a call doubt starts to creep into my mind that I have a best hand. Do you think there is anything wrong with just pushing after the flop since im using the sss strategy. If I make a two thirds bet after the flop and I get a call im probably beat. After that bet im pot committed I have to bet the rest after the turn anyways. But I could see with the two thirds bet after the flop I might still get a call after the flop and still in the lead at that point. If I just push in after the flop I'll only get called by a better hand and someone with some sort of draw might just fold.

Im only thinking of moving after the flop because im playing the sss and if there is any significant amont in the pot in relation to my stack size I might as well pick it up.
    • shloogy
      shloogy
      Bronze
      why taking small pots when u can take bigger ones?
      when holding TPTK u want the pot to get bigger and shove turn regardless what u think he might hold, at least for the start.

u cant push flop u ur remaining stack will be >50 should u bet flop.otherwise like u said u are only gonna be called by a better hand.by betting 1/2 or a bit more u r not giving ut opponents the right odds to call u with gutshot, openended or FD.they will chase their draws and find themselves facing an all in bet on turn.they have no idea what is implied odds what so ever so don't be bothered with that either.ur purpose is to build a pot and go all in as soon as possible.
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      With a Bankroll of $50~ you should play at NL10. NL10 is the bottom place to be for a SSS'er.

NL4 for instance is not profitable enough for a ShortStack. NL4 is designed for a beginning BSS player or such.
    • stantos
      stantos
      Bronze
      In summary :

With $2 in the pot and 94c in your stack you push.

Always always always stick to the starting hand charts. Playing KJ KT etc etc will not be profitable in the long run.

Always play NL 5/10 it's easier to work the bets out and also I find a little less variance that NL .2/.4

Re read the articles a re fresher never hurt anyone (me included)

Good Luck