[NL2-NL10] NL5 - set on a suited board

• SunWukung
      SunWukung
      Bronze
      PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.05 BB (7 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Button ($5.60)
      Hero ($12.53)
      BB ($1.62)
      UTG ($4.17)
      MP1 ($5.95)
      MP2 ($4.96)
      CO ($8.41)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8:spade: , 8:diamond: .
      1 fold, MP1 raises to $0.15, MP2 calls $0.15, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.13, 1 fold.

Flop: ($0.50) K:club: , A:club: , 8:club: (3 players)
      Hero bets $0.4, MP1 folds, MP2 calls $0.40.

Turn: ($1.30) 2:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $1, MP2 calls $1.

River: ($3.30) 9:heart: (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP2 bets $2.7, Hero calls $2.70.

Final Pot: $8.70

Here's my reasoning through the hand. Please tell me if it was rational.

Table was quite tight and I saw both of my opponents play rather poker than lotto in previous hands.

Preflop: standard call according the call-20 rule

Flop: Good news and bad news. I decided to lead with almost pot-sized bet. I got my set and there was a chance that both of my opps didn't complete flush. I hoped for them to fold or at least to find out where I stand while not giving them correct odds in case of draw.

Turn: One of my opps folded, MP2 called. Can he have a flush and be slowplaying it? But he called a preflop raise. He was quite tight before, so he probably was not playing small suited connectors. He wasn't playing Ax clubs, because Ac was on the board. So the only scary possibility was him playing two suited face cards like QcJc, QcTc or JcTc. I decided this was not probable and I still had outs to fullhouse, so I decided to go ahead.

At this moment I put him on Ax, Kx, where x is club or pocket pair with one club.

River: He called my turn bet. I decided just to check, even when I was thinking I'm still ahead. He bets.

I tried to think like I was him. My betting from his point of view might be looking like a missed draw and I was sure he has either Aces or Kings.

Because of that I decided to call plus I had pot odds slightly more than 2:1, probably with better hand.

Did I make some mistakes in my reasoning? I'm just starting with BSS.
  • 3 replies