[NL20-NL50] 50fr JJ UTG+2

• AtrociousNightmare
      AtrociousNightmare
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 8 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

MP2: $79.75 (159.5 bb)
      MP3: $37.75 (75.5 bb)
      CO: $56.27 (112.5 bb)
      BTN: $71.18 (142.4 bb)
      SB: $19.12 (38.2 bb)
      BB: $41.67 (83.3 bb)
      Hero (UTG+2): $50 (100 bb)
      MP1: $87.81 (175.6 bb)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with J J
      Hero raises to $1.50, 3 folds, CO raises to $4.67, 3 folds, Hero calls $3.17

Flop: ($10.09) 9 9 A (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO checks

Turn: ($10.09) T (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $2.97, Hero calls $2.97

River: ($16.03) 5 (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $4.38, Hero calls $4.38

Results:
      $24.79 pot ($1.36 rake)
      Final Board: 9 9 A T 5
      CO showed K K and won $23.43 ($11.41 net)
      Hero mucked J J and lost (-$12.02 net)

VPIP: 24, PFR: 13, 3B: 2, AF: 1,9, Hands: 1924

Call for Call15 rule PF.
      Rest is self explanatory, due to his minibets I call a couple of times with some showdown value.

What should I do against this type of play?
      It's so weird!
  • 3 replies
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Hey,

Tough to say if you can call.. vs 2% you probably can but play only for set.. Think of it this way: calling pre to hit a set post is +EV. Calling any other bets post is not. Thus, you reduce your +EV play from preflop to probably a -EV play if you put in this much money post with your weak hand.

I think your EV in general for just setmining OOP is going to be very small. This means you should play PURELY for set mining. Also, be prepared to give up a lot since you don't flop a set that often. Given the very small and questionable EV of calling here OOP to setmine, I'd usually fold pre but that's a bit of a Fast Fold reflex since the spot is arguably 0EV just makes us more annoying to play against since we don't fold to as many 3bets.

Regarding post: What hands make sense from your opponent? Doesn't he have the same range as preflop of KK+, AK, maybe QQ? If so, why bother calling? EVER?!
    • AtrociousNightmare
      AtrociousNightmare
      Bronze
      Originally posted by EmanuelC16
      Hey,

Tough to say if you can call.. vs 2% you probably can but play only for set.. Think of it this way: calling pre to hit a set post is +EV. Calling any other bets post is not. Thus, you reduce your +EV play from preflop to probably a -EV play if you put in this much money post with your weak hand.

I think your EV in general for just setmining OOP is going to be very small. This means you should play PURELY for set mining. Also, be prepared to give up a lot since you don't flop a set that often. Given the very small and questionable EV of calling here OOP to setmine, I'd usually fold pre but that's a bit of a Fast Fold reflex since the spot is arguably 0EV just makes us more annoying to play against since we don't fold to as many 3bets.

Regarding post: What hands make sense from your opponent? Doesn't he have the same range as preflop of KK+, AK, maybe QQ? If so, why bother calling? EVER?!
      Because sometimes I go into sharkfish mode saying "bet that small? I'M GOING TO BLUFF YOU OUT BY CALLING WMWUAHAUHAUAHUA" and fail.
      That's why.

Dw anyway, I don't need many reminders to not do the same mistake again ;)
    • imfromsweden007
      imfromsweden007
      Bronze
      What emmanuel said, you really beat nothing of a QQ+/AK+ range on this turn, and people play QQ-KK and even Ax like this so often. Definitely just check/fold turn.

ifs