This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL20-NL50] 50fr JJ UTG+2

• AtrociousNightmare
      AtrociousNightmare
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 8 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

MP2: $79.75 (159.5 bb)
      MP3: $37.75 (75.5 bb)
      CO: $56.27 (112.5 bb)
      BTN: $71.18 (142.4 bb)
      SB: $19.12 (38.2 bb)
      BB: $41.67 (83.3 bb)
      Hero (UTG+2): $50 (100 bb)
      MP1: $87.81 (175.6 bb)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with J J
      Hero raises to $1.50, 3 folds, CO raises to $4.67, 3 folds, Hero calls $3.17

Flop: ($10.09) 9 9 A (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO checks

Turn: ($10.09) T (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $2.97, Hero calls $2.97

River: ($16.03) 5 (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $4.38, Hero calls $4.38

Results:
      $24.79 pot ($1.36 rake)
      Final Board: 9 9 A T 5
      CO showed K K and won $23.43 ($11.41 net)
      Hero mucked J J and lost (-$12.02 net)

VPIP: 24, PFR: 13, 3B: 2, AF: 1,9, Hands: 1924

Call for Call15 rule PF.
      Rest is self explanatory, due to his minibets I call a couple of times with some showdown value.

What should I do against this type of play?
      It's so weird!
  • 3 replies
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Hey,

Tough to say if you can call.. vs 2% you probably can but play only for set.. Think of it this way: calling pre to hit a set post is +EV. Calling any other bets post is not. Thus, you reduce your +EV play from preflop to probably a -EV play if you put in this much money post with your weak hand.

I think your EV in general for just setmining OOP is going to be very small. This means you should play PURELY for set mining. Also, be prepared to give up a lot since you don't flop a set that often. Given the very small and questionable EV of calling here OOP to setmine, I'd usually fold pre but that's a bit of a Fast Fold reflex since the spot is arguably 0EV just makes us more annoying to play against since we don't fold to as many 3bets.

Regarding post: What hands make sense from your opponent? Doesn't he have the same range as preflop of KK+, AK, maybe QQ? If so, why bother calling? EVER?!
    • AtrociousNightmare
      AtrociousNightmare
      Bronze
      Originally posted by EmanuelC16
      Hey,

Tough to say if you can call.. vs 2% you probably can but play only for set.. Think of it this way: calling pre to hit a set post is +EV. Calling any other bets post is not. Thus, you reduce your +EV play from preflop to probably a -EV play if you put in this much money post with your weak hand.

I think your EV in general for just setmining OOP is going to be very small. This means you should play PURELY for set mining. Also, be prepared to give up a lot since you don't flop a set that often. Given the very small and questionable EV of calling here OOP to setmine, I'd usually fold pre but that's a bit of a Fast Fold reflex since the spot is arguably 0EV just makes us more annoying to play against since we don't fold to as many 3bets.

Regarding post: What hands make sense from your opponent? Doesn't he have the same range as preflop of KK+, AK, maybe QQ? If so, why bother calling? EVER?!
      Because sometimes I go into sharkfish mode saying "bet that small? I'M GOING TO BLUFF YOU OUT BY CALLING WMWUAHAUHAUAHUA" and fail.
      That's why.

Dw anyway, I don't need many reminders to not do the same mistake again ;)
    • imfromsweden007
      imfromsweden007
      Bronze
      What emmanuel said, you really beat nothing of a QQ+/AK+ range on this turn, and people play QQ-KK and even Ax like this so often. Definitely just check/fold turn.

ifs