the end of one thing... looking for a start of something new

• sokoi
      sokoi
      Bronze
      well it's been sometime since i've been on the forums reading and making the odd comment if i feel i have something valuable to contribute. It's also been quite sometime since i've logged on to put in some "grind time" to hopefully improve my game. On previous blogs "learning to win" I typed out some goals i wanted to achieve and I was pleased with myself that I manage to do so. things like reaching gold status. I did so in month of September and can you believe this i missed it for October by 3 points!!! Argh!!! After that my poker game feel behind and I wasn't logging in the hours due to the "great" Christmas rush and with work etc. The normal everyday stuff.
      Well I sit here today, just a little under 24hrs ago I was let go from my employeer. They decided to not re-new my contract and now for the first time in my life (33yrs old) I'm unemployed. I've got a great support network from my family, my wife has been understanding and has given me hope and confidence that things will turn around and I'll be out there in no time and on my way to a new career.
      The funny thing is, I'm kind of glad I was let go. I didn't enjoy my job, it was shift work and I missed a lot of my girls sporting events, school events and even halloween. I had a feeling that had I not been let go, I probably would have landed up there forever. The money was great which will be missed but money has never been #1 factor in my life. It's nice to have don't get me wrong and we need me to work in order to live the life we have and want so motivation to find something soon will definitely be in the works.
      So with the time off I'm gonna do a few things around the house, the odd jobs that haven't been completed i'll have a chance to now. Be the stay home dad for the time being looking after our little girl and doing the dropping and picking up school stuff for my other. I'm looking forward to that.
      It's also a time to maybe work on my poker game as well. All this extra time, hopefully I can log in a few hours a day between play time and nap time and climb my way up from the micros. Will definitely have time to spend reading and re-reading some of the strategy content, videos etc. and trying to figure out how to improve. I do hope, and I keep saying to myself I should come in here more often to read the comments and other forums people are posting. I'm hoping I can find some assistance or guidance.
      I will admit Im' a bit nervous as it's not the greatest time to be looking for a job and it's been tough already but have to stay optimistic and positive. Is this even a good time to attempt to play poker? Who knows I guess we'll see how far my $137 in my poker account goes. Here goes nothing!
  • 3 replies
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Updates please! :)
    • sokoi
      sokoi
      Bronze
      Well things are still going well considering. enjoy some time with my girls, taking the one to school and taking my youngest to the YMCA for a good work out. figure, all this time on my hands why not sure it and get back in shape. Tomorrow I'm off to the local college, making a stop at services canada to inquire about tuition grants our lovely governments are offering and what courses available. Trying to stay active, and keeping a positive outlook. Making a few adjustments to the life style hasn't hit just yet, we'll see after about a month or so. ?(

As for poker, I've manage to get on here and there for some SnG action. Watching a few video's and reading up on the strategies have kept my mind busy for a few days now. I've scored a few wins, so my br is currently sitting around $175 from $134. I scored a $10 ticket cashing in some points and took down that sng for $50. I've been playing really well cashing approx 49% games. I've been mixing it up from 6max to FR to get a feel for what I prefer, as i'm undecided. I don't have SnG Wizard but I've been using the ICM trainer Push/Fold simulators and it's helped out in the later stages of my game.

Well I won't bore with anymore, appreciate the fact HollyMichelle asking for updates. I think it's been good for myself to talk to someone, or anyone... or just myself with the blogs to help keep my sanity. Going to try and improve everything I touch these days, starting with myself, my mind and hopefully in the end my game! Cheers!!! :D
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Good to see such positivity :) You are right though to keep yourself as active as possible. I see friends of mine who just sit at home all day and do nothing and have no intention of doing anything!

Fair play to you :)