Hero:
      $29,68
      CO:
      $25,61
      BU:
      $24,90

0,1/0,25 No-Limit Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with T:diamond: , T:club:
      5 folds, Hero calls $0,25, CO calls $0,25, 2 folds, BB checks.

Flop: ($0,85) T:heart: , 9:club: , 9:diamond: (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks, CO checks.

Turn: ($0,85) 3:spade: (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0,25, CO calls $0,25, BB folds.

River: ($1,35) 5:heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0,75, CO raises to $25,11 (All-In), Hero calls $24,36.

Final Pot: $51,57

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows a full-house, tens full of nines (Td Tc)
      CO shows four of a kind, nines (9h 9s)

CO wins with four of a kind, nines (9h 9s)

Was it good to play it slow play (I would would have gone broke anyway. Only 99 was better.)? Should not I have called?
  • 3 replies
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Hi Michailewic

Welcome to the No limit forum.

I would played the hand differently.
      1) I would open raise pf. TT is good enough hand to play from MP.
      2) I would bet the flop, if someone has 9, then he'll give your action, also some straight draws would probably call you.
      3) I would bet 50 cents on the turn, if player is going to call 25 cent, then he would also call 50.
      4) I would also call shove. He might shove there 9x and you have second nuts.
    • Michailewic
      Michailewic
      Bronze
      But I had to call CO's all-in after river, did not I (though I should have played it differently)?

Any way I think that it was inevitable to get broken (unless I would have gone all-in preflop or made something stupid like all-in bet) (99 had very good implied odds against me to call my 4BB-bet).

The problem with raising with TT from MP is that you are often re-raised by Ak, AQ ( including AA, KK, sometimes QQ) and if you are to call the re-raise, you do not have good implied odds against such cards (at NL 25) and you have a problem with pot control, especially if you have an over pair and someone hit top pair (with good kicker or top kicker) and players at this limit can force you to put all your stack in and you do not know whether your are against a set (and also it is hard to protect big pot against flush draw with over pair (starting from the flop) and you may easily become to be pot commited (and in most such cases I would be OOP).

As I noticed, many players at this limit are willing to put much money into the pot if they hit top pair (or two pair) and it seems to me that I am better paid of if I limp in with TT from MP since then I have very good implied odds against AA and KK (and other cards) if I am raised and I call the raise and I hit a set on the flop. With AA I can almost always expect continuation bet to call and players with AA do not like to give up until the end. And as I mentioned, it is not good to call a reraise if you know that your are behind and you do not have implied odds.

At least NL 25 is not as loose as NL10 (and I do not even mention NL5). Therefore, I like this limit :)
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      How often do you find get re-raised if you open raise TT from MP. I think that most likely. Doubt that AQ would 3-bet you light at NL 25 Fullring games, so mostly player is holding JJ+, AK. But if you limp, then he would probably raise with 22+, AT+, KJ+ and you don't hit your set to continue with your hand on Axx, Kxx or Qxx board. And if you hit overpair would you like to play for stacks if you contibets on the flop and fires again on the turn. And finally you give BB free card with any 2 and what would you do if he bets out on 278 board- call him down?
      Raising pf makes it all a lot simpler. SInce then you can give players some hand ranges and take often pots down with contibets.