[NL2-NL10] [SH] NL5 A8o 17-01-13 (speed) weird hand

• Resilence
      Resilence
      Bronze
      IPoker, $0.02/$0.05 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BB: $2.68 (53.6 bb)
      UTG: $0.86 (17.2 bb)
      MP: $1 (20 bb)
      Hero (CO): $5 (100 bb)
      BTN: $3.69 (73.8 bb)
      SB: $1.95 (39 bb)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A 8
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.17, 2 folds, BB raises to $0.29, Hero calls $0.12

Flop: ($0.60) 9 9 9 (2 players)
      BB bets $0.05, Hero calls $0.05

Turn: ($0.70) 9 (2 players)
      BB bets $0.05, Hero raises to $0.85, BB raises to $1.65, Hero raises to $4.66 and is all-in, BB calls $0.69

River: ($5.38) 6 (2 players, 1 is all-in)

Hi, not really sure what happend here, was just baffled by it :f_biggrin:

Preflop:
      Not sure if my hand is valid for a raise against these stacks?
      When he min raises, I thought wtf... called, not sure if it was a correct move..

Flop:
      With this small bet I thought I could get a better hand for a good price, would have given up the hand to a "real" bet

Turn:
      Well here I'm sure villain had no idea what was going on, so figured him as a fish given the action before him aswell, thinking he might not even have a better hand.
      Got it in and he called... Is this guy for real? :f_love:

Results:
      $5.38 pot ($0.26 rake)
      Final Board: 9 9 9 9 6
      BB showed K 7 and lost (-$2.68 net)
      Hero mucked A 8 and won $5.12 ($2.44 net)
  • 3 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi Resilence,

Preflop: I actually prefer raise folding here with such a weak Ax hand. The open itself I think is fine but I would not make it 3.5 BB, especially given their stacks.

I'd make it more like 2.5 or 3 BB.

You have no good flops besides A8x and we can't really flop good draws and a solo Axx board will get us in trouble (we are easily dominated by his 3-bet range). And since he is unknown we really can't put him on a range.

Postflop: The way the board came out your play is great and of course that was an awesome 3-bet/call from him. He had quads, how can he fold?
    • Dracsharp
      Dracsharp
      Bronze
      Bogdan would you put your stack in to go broke on that board ?

We (almost) always split with an Ax and we are just building rake, and if we just calling turn might result in a river bluff.

I realize he is a fish and actively seeking going broke might might be good, but against reg we would be just building rake.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by Dracsharp
      Bogdan would you put your stack in to go broke on that board ?

We (almost) always split with an Ax and we are just building rake, and if we just calling turn might result in a river bluff.

I realize he is a fish and actively seeking going broke might might be good, but against reg we would be just building rake.
      Sure, against a reg the raise has no value.

But he is a fish based on preflop action and stack size.