Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has 3:club: A:spade:

fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to 2 BB, fold, BB calls 1 BB

Flop: (4.5 BB, 2 players) 5:club: 9:heart: A:heart:
      BB bets 2.25 BB, Hero calls 2.25 BB

Turn: (9 BB, 2 players) J:diamond:
      BB bets 4.5 BB, Hero raises to 9 BB, BB calls 4.5 BB

River: (27 BB, 2 players) 8:spade:
      BB checks, Hero checks

BB shows Q:club: 9:spade: (One Pair, Nines) (Pre 43%, Flop 18%, Turn 11%)
      Hero shows 3:club: A:spade: (One Pair, Aces) (Pre 57%, Flop 82%, Turn 89%)
      Hero wins 25.65 BB

17 hands VPiP 24

Is my min raise ok on turn? I think he has fd so often because of his small bet size, and I wanted him to check river so I get free showdown and I get value from fd.
  • 3 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi mlatasrb,

Preflop: Is your standard to open 2x on the BTN? Do you change this based on opponents in the blinds?

Postflop: If villain is fishy I would be tempted to raise him for thin value on the flop and possibly to buy a free turn/river (especially since we are raising the turn).

As played you can get more out of draws besides a min raise. Why did you settle for such an amount especially on a card where we may make him fold the weaker pairs?
    • mlatasrb
      mlatasrb
      Gold
      Originally posted by BogdanPS
      Hi mlatasrb,

Preflop: Is your standard to open 2x on the BTN? Do you change this based on opponents in the blinds?

Postflop: If villain is fishy I would be tempted to raise him for thin value on the flop and possibly to buy a free turn/river (especially since we are raising the turn).

As played you can get more out of draws besides a min raise. Why did you settle for such an amount especially on a card where we may make him fold the weaker pairs?
      I always open 2BB from BTN with any cards against any opponent. I understood from articles that we should do it for deception.
      How much should i open against specific opponents?
      I min raised turn because I was happy to see cheap showdown with so weak Ax
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by mlatasrb
      Originally posted by BogdanPS
      Hi mlatasrb,

I always open 2BB from BTN with any cards against any opponent. I understood from articles that we should do it for deception.
      How much should i open against specific opponents?
      I min raised turn because I was happy to see cheap showdown with so weak Ax
      It really comes down to our ranges in these spots.

At fast games, because people fast fold their SB often, we can raise 2 BB in the BTN. However we can adjust this based on different opponents.

For example with fishy guys where we will not open such a wide range we can make it bigger by default. Same for spots where we don't open as wide due to an aggressive person in the blinds.