Equilab : (hand vs range) vs (range vs range) calculations

• kavboj84
      kavboj84
      Gold
      Hi,

Ive played around with range vs range situations and I noticed a strange thing. When I calculate a range with a minimum equity required against another range, and I use the resulted range in a range vs range calculation ( so range 1 vs min EQ against range1) I get more equity, well above the min EQ I typed in. For example I set the minimum equity against a specified rage to 34% , and when I evaluate this range against the original one the result is 43%

I might look like a noobian, but I always made calculations hand vs range in Equilab so I never confronted this phenomenon. However I have been thinking for a few minutes and I realized that stronger hands for ex. that have 60-70 % equity are pulling the equity higher, which is obvious IDK why did I expect that I would get 34% in range vs range situation.

But still this is quite delusive, because it looks like if would play a bit looser range that has lets say 40% equity instead of 43% I still had a chance to win. But in reality, this range would contain hands that are actually -EV to play (i.e. are under 34% in hand vs range comparision). And now Im a bit confused about which point of view is correct, because I dont want to play -EV hands, but on the other hand I dont play hand vs range, but a range vs a range after all.

What do you think about this ?
  • 2 replies
    • patszerdonk
      patszerdonk
      Bronze
      minimal 60% equity vs JJ = AA, KK, QQ
      AA = 80%, KK = 80%, QQ= 80%
      JJ vs QQ+ result is not 60% but 80%.
    • kavboj84
      kavboj84
      Gold
      yeah I realized that as I mentioned in the first post. What about playing with this range against JJ: JJ+,AQs+,KQs,AQo+,KQo ? This range has 54%, most of the time you are on flip because it contains hands like KQo AKo which are slightly -EV,and of course if you go all in pre you it wont get max EV with this range either. But if you dont, and could make JJ pay you off after you hit your overpair postflop your EV could be higher with this range than with QQ+. And you did a hand vs range calculation with JJ vs QQ+, what Im talking about is range vs range calculations which turns this more complicated. That is, Im not interested in the set of hands that have the minimum equity against a range, but in a range wherewith I could play max EV against another range even if it contains -EV hands in All-in EV point of view, and how much equity do you need with this range, if there is a minimum equity for a range vs another range .