60+30

• Yersh
      Yersh
      Bronze
      Hi. As you can understand from the title this blog have something to do with 90days video series from Raskolnikov.
      Well, yes. But actually I'm using it more as an excuse to start a blog.

I was planning to make a small 60 days marathon before I watched the videos. 60 days, 90 days, I don't see any difference.
      The only goal of this 90 days will be to plug the biggest leak which stops me from being a good poker player.
      For now I simply can't play a lot(to be precise more than 4-5 hours total in 1 sleep cycle). The daily increase of the number of hours I play leads to huge variation in the quality of my game. This actually was quite a surprise for me. Earlier in my poker career I didn't need more than 5 hours of play a day cause I thought that was enough (5hours of play + 1-2 hours of work with hm,math,vods and other stuff). So the problem was recently found due to my switching from BSS to MSS. To prevent flame about what is the best I think BSS 6-9max player must know how to play both to make money against most of opponents he can encounter at the normal tables.

Somewhere in the middle of 2012 I began to dissect my own game in all possible aspects (technical skills, management, psychology) to find why I stuck so hard. I found out that my strong side is in playing big pots, capitalizing by opponents big mistakes, or even provoking some. This was balanced by poor play in the smaller pots where I felt there is not much to gain and often played mindlessly by auto pressing the buttons. So I decided to switch for a little while for training purposes and began to play nl50 mss 6max.
      After a couple of weeks of playing mss the result was overwhelming - I was losing money and losing much more than I expected. And the fun part was I was making some stupid mistakes which I couldn’t understand. During the post session analysis was 100% clear what the right play would be (or would have been, not sure what is the right form; these past tense shifts in English language are tricky and English is not my native language).
      And the more hours I played per day the bigger the amount of mistakes per hour I made. More interesting observation was made during looking through my logs. I keep the daily log of my poker play since mid 2012 to summarize key elements of my condition, quality of my play, and other stuff that came to mind that could influence my play at the particular day. I found that even if I play only 4 hours a day, but planned like 7-8, I was making the same amount of mistakes as if I played the whole 7 hours. This type of phenomenon is not new to me, because I read about how brain works, basic psychology, a lot of stuff about working and productivity. So I again proved that knowing about some kind of usual mistakes doesn't guarantee that you will not make it (especially when you are not completely aware of some aspects of you own play like I was).

So the goal is to achieve the quality of play where I do not make some stupid stuff while playing a lot. In my opinion such skill is the base of a successful poker player since it's address 2 major problems: stop making unnecessary mistakes and putting in volume in terms of played hands.
      BTW by playing I mean deliberate practice not mindless grinding to meat the daily goal.
      The goal is 200 hours per month(600hours total). This amount is possible, but at the same this definitely will not be easy. And this will be fun. he-he, I already feeling the pressure from this nice number of 200.

I will write twice a day in the blog. Trying to describe what happens everyday more from "self-management as a poker player" point of view.
      In the morning(if you can call 4pm a morning :) ) I will usually write answers and in the evening I will do an overview of the day.
      As I go I will try to describe stuff from more practical side. I only watched 1st Raskolnikov's video up to the homework part at 22nd minute it sounded a little bit theoretical like "think this way". I'm kinda get stuff done type of person. So I concentrate in day to day describing how I achieve some thinking patterns in practice, will analyze why I failed in something and what I plan to do fix it.

P.S.#1 There no global goals here. because without completing this marathon any global goal essentially turns into a dream. I don't dream, it only distracts you.
      P.S.#2 This post looks like a report. Well, I learned English mostly by reading technical literature, instruction manuals and listening to lectures, so I always write in the similar manner.
  • 88 replies
    • Vip3rNZ
      Vip3rNZ
      Silver
      Nice blog will follow interested to see how well you do! :D
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Vip3rNZ
      Nice blog will follow interested to see how well you do! :D
      +1 good luck :)
    • Yersh
      Yersh
      Bronze
      Here we go.
      I will keep the following format.
      1.) Result
      2.) Log. I will write log on the local machine during the day, otherwise I will forget ~80% of what happened during the day.
      3.) Summary.
    • Yersh
      Yersh
      Bronze
      Day1.
      Results.

Hm a little bit off, it's 7 hours.

Log.

Finished watching Raskolnikov's 1st video. Nice hands examples at the end with commentary analysis. This is one the reasons why I didn't post any hands at the forums. Most people trying to think too deep disregarding poker basics, which leads to discussions about balance, perceived ranges and other advanced stuff in the nl10-nl25 forums.

First thing that I noticed that during the pause between hands I'm thinking about what I gonna write in the blog. That's a good sign cause usually in the morning sessions it's hard to keep focus when nothing is happening at the tables. Basically getting through the first hours of play for me is most difficult (I'm not a morning person at all), but it's necessary to gain momentum before reach the top condition of the day.
      As a result in the morning session I made 2 small mistakes, more like momentary negligences rather than mistakes. One where I lost focus for a second and made wrong lvl2 assumption about the opp type and tried to rest the pot postflop which ch through to the river. The second one I made a general decision and pressed the button before I checked pop-up stats which were available at the moment, so my play felt back to the default line which was successfully exploited a moment later by the opponent(the tendency was written right there 1 hud click away).
      -6$ as a result. Well I can't say that it's a 100%*-6$ situations but it's very close.

The next session was better than usual, I guess due to extensive practice in the morning. And the only bad moment was at the end of 4th hour. I was pretty exhausted and was planning to take a nap. And at some moment my brain froze which led to one broken line and unnecessary turn bet. The type of mistake is a little bit different in my opinion because I knew that I must not bet there but I really wanted to take this pot no matter what which usually leads to such stupid bets w no FE.

I stopped after 6 hours of play. The last 1 hour felt very uncomfortable. Usually it points to either my bad condition at that moment so I stopped and decided to take a pause (I have to do some physical exercises this evening anyway) and rewatch my last hour of play. If I will be able to determine what is the problem I can play a 60-90 minutes session right before sleep.

Ok, watched the video. Nothing serious, made some management mistakes. There were to much fish available and I started to play 6 tables instead of 4-5. Adding brain energy safe mode at this time I got tight overcautious game with WWSF lower than usual.

Played 7th hour, actually for a second I opened 6 tables again, but fixed that right away so my game quality didn't deteriorate

Summary.
      Well, I think without a marathon this day would turn into average 4hour playday. I didn't sleep well the previous day, so I would've given up half way, as I usually do.
      Now I know the typical small mistakes that I make and will pay more attention to them while playing in the morning.
      The only thing that worries me, that I lack a little bit of time to watch more vods, most free time spend analyzing hand which I played during the day.
    • Yersh
      Yersh
      Bronze
      Day2. 21.01.2013
      21:30 Just read 3articles about the cold-calling preflop in mss strategy, will pay more attention to these situations during today sessions. Haven't analyzed 30 hands from yesterday yet. But I will do it in the pauses between sessions to use time more effectively.

22:10 Played 30minutes session. Due to yesterday observations about common mistakes in the morning sessions I decided to play as slow as necessary but controlling every even most basic moves I'm doing. As A result I win quite a lot totally destroying some weak mss reg (for 3 40bb stacks). Will read a couple more mss articles during the short 20min rest and will repeat the session now aiming for longer one and paying careful attention to how the speed of my decisions will increase when entering the zone to make the most effective morning playing plan for future.

23:45 Read some more articles. Played 1 hour session.
      There is no limits to my stupidity.

Poker Stars, $0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 4 Players

SB: $7 (14 bb)
      BB: $50.41 (100.8 bb)
      Hero (CO): $32.07 (64.1 bb)
      BTN: $50 (100 bb)

Preflop: Hero is CO with J J
      Hero raises to $1, BTN calls $1, SB folds, BB calls $0.50

Flop: ($3.25) 4 9 T (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $2.45, BTN calls $2.45, BB folds

Turn: ($8.15) J (2 players)
      Hero bets $5.35, BTN raises to $46.55 and is all-in, Hero calls $23.27 and is all-in

River: ($65.39) 7 (2 players, 2 are all-in)

Results:
      $65.39 pot ($1.50 rake)
      Final Board: 4 9 T J 7
      Hero showed J J and lost (-$32.07 net)
      BTN showed Q K and won $63.89 ($31.82 net)

The sad thing about this hand was that I knew at the moment that there is a possibility of him having a straight, but I didn't check the stack sizes. Because if the effective stacks were short there was a good chance of him pushing 2 pair, but with deeper stack this is KQ only.
      While counting the combinations I was thinking "there is a J on the turn, so there are 2 Jacks in the deck for him to make his 2 pair". Hell Yeah 4-3=2

Does anybody know where I can find elementary school math lessons for university graduates?

Ok. I already wrote it once, but I forgot to press Save Post button.
      So what happened in 2nd part of day. I was really disappointed in myself making this stupid 60bb stack off. And I wanted to fix this, so I studied, read articles, even during lunch moment, watched the session video. And played a good 3rd hour, studied more and played good 4th hour. I felt that I was entering the zone, had a feeling like I was waking up and thought process was speeding up. So I put some work, analyzed 40 hands in hm from yesterday and today 4 sessions.
      And when I started 5th, and I totally messed it up. Due to how much work I put including hours of theory reading and analysis it wasn't my 5th hour, it was 10th without any rest from the early morning. My eyes were pretty much done for a day. But I didn't notice this at first. I just felt that it's somehow had become difficult to concentrate on the tables. And learning from yesterday lesson I began to pay more attention to dumb movements. No random post flop stabbing, checking opponent types, keeping solid lines wInitiative. and rechecking the bet sizings before pressing button. As a result in 20 minutes I was more tired than from play the first 4 hours today. Someone crushed my AA with AKo and the session was done cause I caught myself with the thought about the "universe being unfair" and that is the clear sign of non-playable condition.
      While sitting out I tried to understand why I had the initial concentration problem despite the good 4th session. If unattended my sight shifted away from the monitor: to the wall behind or to the table. I had to put an effort just to keep focus on the table and to interpret current game situations.

So the lesson for today: "Think in moderation, act in moderation."
      There is no purpose in studying for so long if you cannot play for long enough time every day.
      Short breaks and relaxation is equally important to maintain concentration through the day.

So for the next days.
      1 day - 1 theory article, but I will vary my off-table poker workouts adding joint hand analysis with my friend.
      10minutes away from PC for every 1.5 hours of work.
      If some feelings of exhaustion will appear during the play: take a break instead of trying to fight this through. Too much concentration on the rechecking the quality of your basic moves distracts you from seeing the overall situations on the tables.

Results:

Played 5 hours, studied around 4.5.
    • Yersh
      Yersh
      Bronze
      Day 3. 23.01.2013.
      Went to the ophthalmologist. In a very polite manner I was told to stop working 10hours without breaks or I will loose my perfect vision very soon.
      I didn't play any hands this day. Just working with hm for like 1.5hours.
      The reason is simple. First two days were ok, but the game felt wrong. I felt like I was having wrong attitude. Too focused on the focus itself, not on the goals of game. So I took rest of the day off to make a plan and to think about my approach to the marathon.

Day 4. 24.01.2013
      Results

4 hours of play. 1.5 of analysis by myself, 1 hour of analysis together with my friend, 0.5 of theory.

Well. Seems the day off pays off (not in the sense of winrate of course, I can't win money if all my premiums are in red). But 4+3 hours combined and I don't feel any pressure at the end of day. Not physical (my eyes are ok) nor mental. And I was able to play 6 tables very well at the last 25 mins of the 2nd session, so after some training I could play them on every day basis. I will test my new ideas for the rest of the week, before writing them down here.

But the most important conclusion I came to yesterday was Balance. For example I could play 1-1.5hours more today, but to do that I had to sacrifice the exercises and had to go to sleep later -> this could lead to messing up sleeping schedule -> this could lead to poor play the next days.
      It doesn't matter if you will play for 1 day a ton if will be too tired the next several days and won't be able to play at all. Online poker is everyday perfomance activity so your day by day ability to play at the top level is the most important thing. So the real goal of the marathon is finding practical methods to keep myself in the top condition. And the amount of hours I can put in will be direct result of these findings.

After Day4:
      Practice: 16
      Off the tables: 10.5
      Overall: 26.5
    • Yersh
      Yersh
      Bronze
      Day5. 24.01.2013
      I visited my grandparents today. After I returned home there was just enough time to play 3x2 hour sessions. But when I start thinking about if I played them in this manner I have almost no room to maneuver if something will happen, the more I thought about it the more worried I was becoming. And as a result of this I felt great discouragement. If I sat at the tables in this condition, my game would be weak-passive and it's obvious -EV.
      So I tried to find the way out. First what is needed in this situation is control over yourself because natural reaction to such unpleasant condition is deflection, like going online to watch something funny, to read seeming news or articles, browse some social networks etc. Those distraction doesn't fix the problem, they only waste time. I almost felt in to this trap again, but I regain consciousness losing only 30mins.
      After that I tried to fix my condition by usual working off the tables routine. Like theory, analysis, vods. After 1.5 hours of doing so, not only my condition wasn't improving but I felt that my effectiveness in working with theory is like cut by 50% (at least 50%). Obviously this stuff doesn't work in the situation.
      The next idea was to step away from poker and fix myself in general. Here comes some physical activity. I already planned boxing training for this day, but I felt that simple weight lifting would suit much better for the situation. Fortunately it worked perfectly, even after 45 mins I felt ok, after 1.5hours I felt better than I was in the morning.
      But when I sat and started to play, this idea backfired a little. After 15mins into the session feeling of fatigue appeared. But luckily it wasn't bad, like you was mentally stressed though the day, or haven't slept much. It was pure physical. After checking myself I found that my mind is clear, but I think slow. So I abandoned the target goal for session length not to add stress, and played in minute-by-minute mode, where I would stopped stop if I found that my condition is worsening. I played 45 more minutes, leaving the time to write about the day in detail.

Result:

1 hour played, 2.5 hours off the tables.

Lessons learned for the day.
      Emotional deviations from the optimal conditions can be fixed by physical exercises.
      But it can introduce some physical fatigue into the mix, so it complicates the sessions at the end of day.
      When you are in the bad condition, watch for possible procrastination attempts and suppress them as quickly as possible.

After Day5.
      Practice: 17
      Off the tables: 13
      Overall: 30
    • Vip3rNZ
      Vip3rNZ
      Silver
      very impressive work ethic my man
    • Yersh
      Yersh
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Vip3rNZ
      very impressive work ethic my man
      thx

Day6.
      Well in the morning I got a an invitation to make some group hm hand analysis from 2 different people. Plus I got planned a training session with my friend who plays high stakes mss.
      I thought it would be like 1 hour each and I will be able to play a lot today. But every session was around 1.5hours each. Plus I found talking and deep thinking about poker hands very exhausting (despite being extremely valuable). So with breaks literally to catch a breath and other small not related to poker stuff it took me about 9hours overall. All I could do is to through 2 sessions 2.5hours combined.

2.5hours played, 5.5 theory.

Lessons for today.
      Group study sessions take a lot of energy. Do one session a day, otherwise the benefits will be counterbalanced by mental fatigue.
      Also I found that every day I played longer sessions (6+hours combined) I started to play early in the morning and by the midday I made at least half of the amount I planned.
      So for the next day I will start immediately after I'll wake up.

After Day6.
      Practice: 19.5
      Off the tables: 18.5
      Overall: 38
    • Yersh
      Yersh
      Bronze
      Day7.
      Good day. I learned a lot about how not to do things.

I began to play in the morning. Doing I session followed by analysis and it was ok.
      Somehow on the 4th hour I suddenly got sleepy. I switched to low intensity activity. I wanted to test a couple of ideas how I can raise the effectiveness of the post session analysis. I opened hm2 and ... found that it have no custom reports. So basically you stuck with tabs they provided and nothing else. Well you can do pretty much everything with filters, but the speed of switching them (even if they just loaded from file) is pretty low. I wanted to make 5-7 tabs with preloaded stuff to check the main lines in seconds and go back to playing.
      Since I was already not in the best condition. I quickly went to the tilt. One thing I hate the most is dealing with people incompetence. In this situation the incompetence of software designer who can't add simple options for long time (I checked hm2 forums for almost a year this option is sort of worked on, but the ticket says it has low priority, whcih means nobody gives a damn about it). I quickly checked PT4 which was very stable and hangs up every time during import around 5000 hand mark.
      After that I made another bad decision. I made a live session with my friend. The only thing I can say, I would never ever again do live sessions.
      It's most useless form of training. Live session with 4-5 tables = b level play at best + some mediocre discussion, all because the lack of time. Especially when the otehr person plays different limits then you, not only you can't dig deep enough in what's happening, most of the time you just can't explain what different adaptations you make in every situation due to limit-opponent specifics.

Played 4 hours. I could squeeze one more hour after this unlucky live session (it's my mistake to choose this wrong type of training) where I was pretty much crushed. You cannot afford to play mediocre game when you are running bad, it'll turn into disaster 100%.

Lessons learned for today.
      1.)90% of poker software suck. Do not get tilted/distracted/annoyed by random stuff.
      2.) Live sessions are a waste of time. The easiest solution to record a session and to analyze it after. Where you can dig as deep in any hand as you want.

After Day7:
      Practice: 23.5
      Off the tables: 20.5
      Overall: 44
    • Yersh
      Yersh
      Bronze
      Day8.

Good day, despite the result.

I will be short, cause I feel tired after fixing my hud popups for like 3 hours.

Yesterday I studied some material about deliberate practice. The main point was that human ability to practice at their best capped to 4.5-5 hours at best. So I today I tried to make my practice as deep as possible. I added 2 tables more, and played 6 tables all the time. Also I analyzed hands right after every session, to be fully prepared to the next with some little adjustments based an the analysis. Well it was a success I played 3 sessions 1 hour at the morning, half an hour to test is can play when I'm extremely sleepy in the middle of the day (for the short period of time like 30mins I can overcome sleepiness) and 1.5 hours at the 2nd part of day. I was going for the 4.5hours total, but after 3rd session I thoroughly examined all played hands for the day trying to find why I'm loosing so much (found that I played around my A- game, with only some small mistakes). And then I found that my hud lack some stats that are actually useful, so I began to fix it, resulted in total remaking the whole main pop-up.
      Tomorrow I will try to do physical exercises in the middle of the day to check if that can help me with sleepiness as well as it'll free the end of the day for 1 more possible session when I usually feel the best. Also I will continue this practice sessions where I try to push my self close to the limit.

Results:

3 hours of play, with 3 hours of studiyng.
      I do not include no poker stuff, like reading materials about learning, practice and other stuff. For example today I also watched a lecture about sleep, to find maybe I'm doing something wrong with my schedule and my sleepiness in the middle of day is my own fault.

After Day8.
      Practice: 26.5
      Off the tables: 23.5
      Overall: 50.
    • Yersh
      Yersh
      Bronze
      Day9.

How too much good can turn to be really bad.

So I tried to overcome midday sleepiness with some focus on off-table work. And it worked. It worked so well I totally lost the track of time. When I finally recovered 4 hours later, I found that I made 17 small notes about where I need to check my game or how I can improve it (some thing I already know that I do badly).
      The serious problem came later when I tried to play a session. Have you ever tried to do 10 things at once? That's exactly the situation formed in my brain. I opened tables and it started:"I have to check this, and look at this stat, do not forget to those hands to your range in this and this situation, do not open that if the opp is ..." and so on and so on. I played pretty well for 15 mins but exhaustion was as if I played 3 hours.
      The interesting thing that in this exact situation taking a pause, to do physical exercises for example, doesn't work. While writing this, after training for 1.5hours, I'm feeling great but it still a huge mix of new material in my head and I can't concentrate an the playing.

Playing 2:15; off table work 5.5hours.

Lesson for today. The method of implementation of new material is equally important to material itself.
      1 new thing at a time followed by a good amount of practice.

After Day9.
      Practice: 28:45
      Off the tables: 29
      Overall: 57:45.
    • Yersh
      Yersh
      Bronze
      Day10.

After waking up in the morning (or actually it was evening cause I got some insomnia the day before and screwed my sleeping schedule again) I make a quick 30min session, because I felt like the day before - a little anxiety, lack of concentration and a desire to do everything at once. This resulted in normal session but I was in, what I call "borderline" control. You play ok until one little push and suddenly you are playing c-game.
      I was thinking about how I can overcome this. I could try to fix my condition to play 6 tables later (I had no ideas about how I could fix it) or I could try to match the number of table to my condition. I chose the latter.
      I called it attention drill or basic decisions drill. I played a couple of sessions 2-3 tables thinking about every decision, no matter how small it is. I hoped that after some time my brain would return to normal state and I would be able to play 6 tables later that day.
      Actually this drill turned out to be very useful exercise. Not only I return to a better state of mind after 1 session. I also found very subtle mistakes and misunderstanding in my preflop play which I would obviously miss in my regular sessions.
      I analyzed hands in hm and decided to do the drill again. I expected better results since I felt better after the first one. In the second session since I was thinking quicker I had some time between hands. So I started to dig deeper in the statistics of my opponents. I found some of my postflop lines being strange. I found that I interpreted particular type of flops vs fish wrong (fish thought it was dry, I thought it was wet and my line was not optimal). At one moment I remembered the hand I played 5 days ago and found that I'm vulnerable at 1 particular place at 3bet pots.
      This much more that I expected to find during the drill. I got plans for analysis for 3 next days just from 1.5hours of play.

Results.

Playing 3:15, off the tables 5.5hours (I was lucky to have a session with my friend who play higher mss limits).

Lesson for the today.
      At least once a week you need to lower the number of tables and make some basic attention drills. It will not only uncover some small mistakes which you can miss during the normal play. It will also help you to get the ideas on what game aspects you need to work off the tables.

After Day10.
      Practice: 32
      Off the tables: 34.5
      Overall: 66.5
    • Yersh
      Yersh
      Bronze
      Day11.

here is quick summary of what happened. yesterday I haven't finished the planned work, so I decided not to write anything.
      The day before I made a decision focus drill. And I thought that it's a good idea to analyze those sessions to the bone. So I looked carefully through all footage, it took me like 5.5 hours. And I found at the same amount of unseen mistakes as I found during the play itself. The type of mistakes were different though, mostly small inaccuracies - 2 blinds from optimum bet there, to loose OpenRaise here, too tight fold there, and so on.
      I analyzed all of them, it took me 1.5hours more, also I did a training session with one of my friends for an hour. And I did half of the math problems I found earlier (2hours).
      I could do more in less time, but I had a little bit of insomnia for 2 days, and was really hard to keep concentration, but nice off tables focus training too.

Day12.
      I continued to do math and also some general line analysis (3hours total). And later I presented the results to my friend from higher limits. (1hour).
      When I finished all theory I planned to begin playing again. But 10mins in the session electricity went off for almost the rest of the day.
      I was ready for such situation. I bought a tablet 2 days earlier to read and watch some theory videos when my eyes are too tired to do it from a big monitor (7" IPS tablet with Android 4 for 130$ was quite a bargain, I couldn't resist). SO I read some material on practicing techniques and did 2 hour set of physical training. Isometrics exercises were quite a challenge when you can't see anything at all.

After Day12.
      Practice: 32
      Off the tables: 47.5
      Overall: 79.5
    • Yersh
      Yersh
      Bronze
      Day13.

On the right track.

Yesterday, I was rethinking the idea of of week attention drills, because they are too exhausting and too time consuming, I actually felt detached from the game at the end of Day11, despite all my poker analysis work.
      So I thought of combining drill with regular play. I play in small chunks, like 30mins at the beginning and getting longer sessions at the end of the day. And every session followed by analysis from the beginning to the end (not some chosen parts like I did before).
      As a result of this every-day drill method I played my best 2 hours in the last 3 months.
      But the beginning of the day wasn't so great. After yesterday's black out I found that my pokerstars config was destroyed somehow. It took me a while to do something to fix it instead of just sitting and swearing. As I already written software problems is my biggest weakness. I think after 20mins I finally remembered that the problem won't fix itself. SO I found a nice free program named Cobian backup, which now 7zips all my critical poker configuration files and backs them up on daily basis.
      After doing that I noticed that I'm actually trying very hard to postpone beginning of the playing session. I think that's exactly the result of this detachment feeling. Sometime ago I made the rule to never make more than 1 day off the tables. Blackout was unexpected, but now I'm thinking about the whole situation as an opportunity to practice getting back on the track after some pause.
      But still I slacked for 2 hours before I sat at the tables. And here I got another problem after re-adding the notes from note file, the from number 9 and higher were shifted :(
      3 minutes later (yeah I'm a fast learner :D ), after I stopped thinking up colorful epithets about people who made the 8 default color s appear before your custom ones (causing the shift) I finally started to play.
      Actually I felt relieved that I could just play instead of tuning the software. Also from the first minuted I found that I have much clearer grasp of all situations arising on the tables. Those two things nullified all my worries pretty quickly.
      Also at all 3 sessions I observed that this clear understanding of what's happening at the tables (I actually don't know yet if this a result of cramming the theory the day before or having a precise plan for the day) helped a lot to overcome both the RNG brutality in the first 2 sessions as well as come back at the third. I usually play much worse when the I got big deviations on the short segment of time during the day.
      So I will play in the same manner for the next few days, trying to maintain more control over my time cause I easily could put 1.5hour more if I were not slacking at the beginning, and there were some non-optimized breaks between the sessions. The breaks were not optimized, because I got some unexpected small problems with concentration during the analysis part which doesn't usually appear off the tables, only during the play. Since this mixed drill schedule requires more energy, I have to plan my rest between sessions better.

Lessons to be learned from today.
      1.) Analysis of every session gives confidence. Seems the mixed schedule is the right idea (but still needs to be confirmed). But it demands more attention and energy so better day planning is required.
      2.) Just being angry about something does not get things done.

Played 2 hours, session analysis 3 hours (roughly 1.5times more that actual sessions length is the best time I could achieve), 1 hour of group training, and 30mins of repeating the stuff from Days11 & 12.

After Day13.
      Practice: 34
      Off the tables: 51
      Overall: 85
    • Yersh
      Yersh
      Bronze
      Day14.

It's definitely a right track.
      A little bit earlier than usual summary. Still doing my physical training. But I won't play more today. Because one the important things I discovered during the drills is finishing the analysis within the day. Do not leave hands for tomorrow. That greatly improves overall analysis performance.

3 hours of play. 5.5 off the tables.
      I again slacked a couple of hours (30mins here, 40 mins there etc).
      I think the day playing capacity with this schedule is around 5 hours. Which will be my smaller goal.
      Initially I was planning to imcrement playing sessions by 15 mins (30->45->60->75), but I wanted to test where is my weak spot during longer session and how it manifests.
      I played 90mins in the 3rd. As I expected areas after 60 mins are most vulnerable. Small preflop mistakes and postflop brainfreezes in unortodox situations vs fish are possible. But still overall performance in the usual spots is much better than it was before.
      Will repeat exactly the same routine again tomorrow. The goal will be 45->60->90->60.

After Day14.
      Practice: 37
      Off the tables: 56.5
      Overall: 93.5
    • Yersh
      Yersh
      Bronze
      Day15.
      I took unexpected day off. Cause from the morning I was feeling sick, I seriously thought that I got a cold or something. But at the end they were just a bunch of unrelated things with looked like one. When in the last 3rd of the day I understood that my motivation was not there. So only did 1.5 hours off table work in the evening and 1 hour training with my friend. That's all.
      That's one of my general weaknesses, when I don't feel good, I can't concentrate at all and I have no motivation at all to do serious stuff.

Day16.
      Very interesting day from the point of new experiences. I began to play as planned w 45 minute session to check how things going before lengthen my sessions. I played well, actually more than well, I played really good. The surprising fact was that I played good despite the fact of feeling detached and even indifferent to what was happening at the tables.

In the third short session, I was as disconnected from the game as in the previous ones, but most of the time between the hands I was thinking about why this is happening, since it wasn't messing my game (as usual tilt, exhaustion,distractions), it just made my game a little bit different.
      I got several ideas about what it can be:
      1.) Since I'm playing good, maybe I mistook the feeling of calmness for indifference and detachment. Because during my game I was naturally making preflop adaptations of my open raise ranges, and only a week ago I had some problems with these particular types of mistakes. It's hard to do relatively new stuff that you learned naturally when you are really detached, isn't it?
      2.) Maybe it's the result of my physical condition. I usually feel overly relaxed on the 2nd day after extensive physical training, and it may influence how I feel overall.
      3.) I'm worried about some different stuff. And this feeling can be explained as "something is going to go wrong, but not at the moment". My technical skill is ok, so it's something indirectly related to the game. The usual suspect is workspace. I pay a lot of attention to how my workspace organized, however it tends to gather different junk which is not directly related to what I'm doing and only brings distractions. This is 300% true if the workspace is a computer.

The biggest downside of such detached condition is bad control over time between sessions, which led to low playing volume. I simply wasted my time in the pauses, and even wasn't aware about it until the 9am in the morning where it's too late to play.
      As a small addition, the 3rd session where I was thinking about general stuff, led to safe play, where I didn't open raise 3-4 situation which I considered thin, but they were playable.

Summary: played 1:45 (which is a shame L ); theory 4hours
      My basic play became better, which is good. My condition is all over the place, which led to low volume. Yeah, I do good theory work, but a need more playing in this semi drill mode to have quicker progress.

Update:
      For almost an hour I was looking in my material about training and practice. I finally understood what was wrong. My sessions didn't feel like practice. The half-assed performance - what were they. I actually don't know how I could forget what I have to do on the tables.
      Instantly I sat down and played 1:15 more. It was rough session, with a lot of coolers forth and back, but the feeling was back. I felt that what I was doing was right.

Real Summary:
      Play 3hours. Off-tables: theory still 4 hours. I can't analyse the footage from the last session, too tired. I don't want to leave it for the next day, but delayed good analysis is much better than today's mediocre one.

Lesson for today.
      Remember why you are committed, you true goals.

After Day16:
      Practice: 40
      Off the tables: 62.5
      Overall: 102.5
    • Alan883
      Alan883
      Bronze
      Keep the great work!!!!!

Good luck....i wish you many +EV sessions
    • Yersh
      Yersh
      Bronze