[NL2-NL10] QJo vs fishy opponent

• sketchzr
      sketchzr
      Bronze
      Not often I'd take this hand so far but opponent will go broke with TPNK and would probably lead like this with MP+
      We also have some history so there's a slim chance it could be a bluff.
      I guess I could say the river was unlucky, how else could I have played it?

Poker Stars $10.00 No Limit Hold'em - 6 players
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

SB: $4.05 - VPIP: 37, PFR: 19, 3B: 4, AF: 4.0, Hands: 54
      Hero (BB): $14.67
      UTG: $13.26 - VPIP: 31, PFR: 19, 3B: 11, AF: 1.0, Hands: 48
      MP: $10.70 - VPIP: 26, PFR: 18, 3B: 0, AF: 2.3, Hands: 34
      CO: $9.50 - VPIP: 21, PFR: 19, 3B: 0, AF: 0.0, Hands: 42
      BTN: $10.48 - VPIP: 27, PFR: 17, 3B: 3, AF: 1.6, Hands: 93

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero is BB with Q:diamond: J:spade:
      3 folds, BTN raises to $0.30, SB calls $0.25, Hero calls $0.20

Flop: ($0.90) 8:club: Q:club: T:diamond: (3 players)
      SB bets $0.40, Hero calls $0.40, BTN folds

Turn: ($1.70) 2:spade: (2 players)
      SB bets $0.70, Hero calls $0.70

River: ($3.10) 4:diamond: (2 players)
      SB bets $1.90, Hero calls $1.90

Final Pot: $6.90
      SB shows 4:spade: Q:spade:
      Hero mucks Q:diamond: J:spade:
      SB wins $6.59
      (Rake: $0.31)
  • 3 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi Sketchzr,

Preflop: The call preflop is somewhat loose considering the villains involved. Our hand doesn't play that great multiway and caught inbetween a shortie and a full stack.

Postflop: As played I'd just raise the flop for value. Way too many draws/made hands that he can have that are worse plus our calls looks weak so BTN may try to raise himself.

Why did you play the hand so passive versus a 40 stack player?
    • sketchzr
      sketchzr
      Bronze
      Hi,

I was considering a 3-bet squeeze given this situation between BTN and SB has happened a lot.

I think I'm passive by nature and sometimes miss out on spots where I can be more aggressive, I'm also less inclined to raise a flop like that and think I need to consider stack sizes more as sometimes it doesn't factor into my decisions as much as it should, or I just didn't notice.

As a whole I've managed to effectively play much more aggressive today thanks to some stuff I picked up in the last half of your live session, ie; iso raising more often when I have an exploitative edge over opponent rather than just looking at a hand and going "I can't play that hand because of x", basically making spots instead of waiting for them if that makes sense.

Cheers.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by sketchzr
      Hi,

I was considering a 3-bet squeeze given this situation between BTN and SB has happened a lot.

I think I'm passive by nature and sometimes miss out on spots where I can be more aggressive, I'm also less inclined to raise a flop like that and think I need to consider stack sizes more as sometimes it doesn't factor into my decisions as much as it should, or I just didn't notice.

As a whole I've managed to effectively play much more aggressive today thanks to some stuff I picked up in the last half of your live session, ie; iso raising more often when I have an exploitative edge over opponent rather than just looking at a hand and going "I can't play that hand because of x", basically making spots instead of waiting for them if that makes sense.

Cheers.
      That makes sense.

Stack sizes also play a huge factor and here your decision should come on the flop. Do I want to play for stacks with this villain or not?

For 40 BB and given the board texture/scenario I would say heck yes, I want to play for stacks.

Then it's just a matter of finding the best way to do it while maximizing profit. Sure you can shove that flop on him but that would not be the most +ev line.

So raising and shoving safe turns is your best bet.