I'm losing all the time lol.. Everyone read

• philiveyfan
      philiveyfan
      Bronze
      Alright so I'm just going to be honest, I'm a losing player which I do admit, I'm mostly a cash game player. I have my days where I win and have my days where I drop few grands. I have real bad BRM, for example, on Friday I had 500 to my name till I get paid and I went to play a midstakes 5 5 game live in person. I actually did well but end up tilting once down a big pot.

My question is this, I been trying to play tournaments on Pokerstars but seem to not win anything at all. I been trying tournaments for few months now and just not working. I love poker and I enjoy it so much. I would like to read poker books that would make me a successful player. Anyone suggest anything. here is my pokerstars name if anyone can tell me what I'm doing wrong.

sexyguy2727
  • 11 replies
    • Gentari
      Gentari
      Global
      Hi there,

I have only had a quick look at the nick you provided and the stats are blocked on Pokerprolabs/Sharkscope so not much there.

I would suggest the strategy you are using online is wrong and you need to do a minimum of 3 things...

1. Stop
      2. Read and digest the basic strategy articles and videos here
      3. look at BRM and how much you are risking/game in relation to that.

there are then a lot of steps and games to come, but no point playing $15 average buy in when you are rubbish <--- I am not flaming, I am stating a fact. Learn and improve without going broke.

Good Luck
    • BogdanMarin69
      BogdanMarin69
      Bronze
      I think you would do better if you start using your money staking winning players :)
    • philiveyfan
      philiveyfan
      Bronze
      Originally posted by BogdanMarin69
      I think you would do better if you start using your money staking winning players :)
      that wouldn't be such a good idea, because I'm not guaranteed they would pay back
    • doctorkgb
      doctorkgb
      Bronze
      Originally posted by philiveyfan
      Originally posted by BogdanMarin69
      that wouldn't be such a good idea, because I'm not guaranteed they would pay back
      Not guaranteed either that you will be paid by playing poker yourself :D .
      Bankrol managment is the single most important thing. If you can control yourself in that area, you will be fine for shure.
    • Coolhandri18
      Coolhandri18
      Basic
      Hi

Tournis are not hard you just need to plan .

Early - Play tight for the first 3-4 blinds ( paired 10,s and up AK suited or unsuited and AQ suited )
      Pick your spots for blind steals but do it with some sort of hand ( not garbage )
      Take cheap flops in position with suited connectors and Ax suited and low pairs , its either hit hard or fold .

When you enter a pot play with aggression , if you get a hand and want to call with think of raising(small) or folding .

Mid - Loosen up a bit start playing paired 7,s and up AKs/o , AQs/o , AJ suited
      take a cheap flop with 22-66 and try to hit trips if you don't fold .

Late -Up to you what ever is working .

Get a few books ; Dan Harrington has 3 very good books .
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      Hey philiveyfan and welcome to the tournament strategy forum :)

The most important thing for mtt players is BRM (and I recommend at least 300 Buyins if you are playing at pokerstars.com/pokerstars.eu). Therefore you have something to work on.
      As soon as your mindset is good enough you can start working your way through the strategy articles (click) as well as the mtt videos (click).

Most available books are outdated. Some of them are simply bad. For beginners there is nothing you can't learn from our free articles and videos.

Again: Most important things in tournament poker are discipline, bankroll management and a solid mindset. This should be your first concern.

If you have any further questions feel free to ask!

Regards,
      Asaban
    • amanofhisword
      amanofhisword
      Basic
      Hello,

It sounds like the first thing to start working on is your mind set.

It all starts with self observation.

Let me know if you need help with that

good luck at the tables
    • MERIT900
      MERIT900
      Bronze
      another thing to think about is this - pokerstars is a high volume site with massive fields for all tournaments. maybe for a short duration say 6 months find a site with a lower volume of players such as titan poker, it makes cashing easier and winning easier and thats the important part. win one or two tournaments or make a few final tables and your mindset will change to that of a winning player not a player who enters tournaments expecting to lose. with regards to reading ? there is a world of information on this site all you gotta do is look for it in the coaching forum. my views come from experience having been there myself - 4 years on pokerstars playing massive field tournaments was great but hardly profitable for the amount of hours spent playing moved to titan poker and quadrupled my starting bankroll in 6 months but more importantly it changed my mindset now i go into games knowing i can win
      study hard and think positively and even average players like me can come out winners
    • Rihard4a
      Rihard4a
      Gold
      I would like to add that doesn't matter how many books your read, or how many articles or videos you. You are going to become a winning player only once you decide to work on your game and your mistakes, that's the road to success. Pure theory won't make you Daniel Negreanu... Practice, analyze, correct... Practice, analyze, correct... etc.
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      Originally posted by MERIT900
      another thing to think about is this - pokerstars is a high volume site with massive fields for all tournaments. maybe for a short duration say 6 months find a site with a lower volume of players such as titan poker, it makes cashing easier and winning easier and thats the important part. win one or two tournaments or make a few final tables and your mindset will change to that of a winning player not a player who enters tournaments expecting to lose. with regards to reading ? there is a world of information on this site all you gotta do is look for it in the coaching forum. my views come from experience having been there myself - 4 years on pokerstars playing massive field tournaments was great but hardly profitable for the amount of hours spent playing moved to titan poker and quadrupled my starting bankroll in 6 months but more importantly it changed my mindset now i go into games knowing i can win
      study hard and think positively and even average players like me can come out winners
      Good point!
      Playing on smaller sites is always a good idea if you are looking for some quick successes in tournament poker. It's way easier to win a 200 player tournament rather then a 10k player tournament.

If you want to stay at Pokerstars the 180men MTSNG's might be a good thing to try. This way you will get a lot of chances to practise late game.

Regards,
      Asaban
    • Hamishk
      Hamishk
      Bronze
      Another place to try would be the Pokerstars Sit and Go Tournaments

Can try Micro or low small field Sit and Go Tourneys - wish I'd discovered those guys earlier in the piece. Lower payout. Much higher chance of getting paid out