[NL20-NL50] 50fr 77 UTG+2

• AtrociousNightmare
      AtrociousNightmare
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 8 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BTN: $115.84 (231.7 bb)
      SB: $68.31 (136.6 bb)
      BB: $52.72 (105.4 bb)
      Hero (UTG+2): $64.32 (128.6 bb)
      MP1: $58.85 (117.7 bb)
      MP2: $45.14 (90.3 bb)
      MP3: $50 (100 bb)
      CO: $61.86 (123.7 bb)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with 7 7
      Hero raises to $1.50, 4 folds, BTN calls $1.50, 2 folds

Flop: ($3.75) A 7 A (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN checks

Turn: ($3.75) 3 (2 players)
      Hero bets $2.66, BTN calls $2.66

River: ($9.07) 2 (2 players)
      Hero bets $5.74, BTN raises to $11.48, Hero raises to $22, BTN calls $10.52

Results:
      $53.07 pot ($2.91 rake)
      Final Board: A 7 A 3 2
      BTN mucked T A and lost (-$26.16 net)
      Hero showed 7 7 and won $50.16 ($24 net)

VPIP: 29, PFR: 16, 3B: 0, AF: 2,3, Hands: 80

Here I check both because his AF on flop was 3 and bet vs missed cbet was 100 (2), and because it's one of those flops where nothing follows you except for A and very high PPs.

After his check behind I obviously start betting.

On his raise on the river I'm not really sure how much to raise him as he's deep and such a slowplay honestly scared me (A2, A3, A7?)
      But that was probably stupid as I probably wouldn't have folded anyway to an all-in.
      After all his AF on river was 3 and WTSD 32.
  • 3 replies
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Hi.

Why are you checking the flop? This is an easy spot to bet bet bet. Checking here with AA would be good, but when there are still 2 As left in the deck, this is a very standard spot to just bet and hope he calls with AA. He is also never folding a hand like TT when the top card is paired and it is 33.3% less likely for you to have an Ace yourself.

As played, I will just raise much larger on the River, like 35. What hand are you really afraid of? I think the most likely hand in his range is 33. I don't think he has A3s/A7s/A2s very often, given that I would expect him to bet the Flop some % of the time. It seems pretty stupid to "pot control" the flop, then raise the River as a bet bet bet line is just so much better.

Also, there are many more combos of random AX hands that are misplayed like he did here. AQ AJ AT A9s etc, so we are pretty far ahead of his river range.

I'm even wondering if we should have just directly jammed, but that just looks ultra-strong. The higher his WTSD, the more I want to do that.

Thanks.
    • AtrociousNightmare
      AtrociousNightmare
      Bronze
      Originally posted by mbml
      Hi.

Why are you checking the flop? This is an easy spot to bet bet bet. Checking here with AA would be good, but when there are still 2 As left in the deck, this is a very standard spot to just bet and hope he calls with AA. He is also never folding a hand like TT when the top card is paired and it is 33.3% less likely for you to have an Ace yourself.

As played, I will just raise much larger on the River, like 35. What hand are you really afraid of? I think the most likely hand in his range is 33. I don't think he has A3s/A7s/A2s very often, given that I would expect him to bet the Flop some % of the time. It seems pretty stupid to "pot control" the flop, then raise the River as a bet bet bet line is just so much better.

Also, there are many more combos of random AX hands that are misplayed like he did here. AQ AJ AT A9s etc, so we are pretty far ahead of his river range.

I'm even wondering if we should have just directly jammed, but that just looks ultra-strong. The higher his WTSD, the more I want to do that.

Thanks.
      I tried to explain why my flop.
      I wasn't trying to pot control :(
      But yeah bad decision, your reasoning is uber and will make me happy in the future.
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      I'm not saying that you are pot controlling, it's pretty clear you have the nuts. I'm referring to villain, who may pot control weak AX. But if he wants to pot control with weak Ax, why would he then raise the River?

To re-iterate my main points
      -If he can slowplay A7 A2 A3, he can slowplay AT A9, and perhaps AJ AQ
      -If he usually bets Flop with AJ AQ AT, he may bet the flop pretty often with A7 A2 A3 too.

So regardless of his tendencies, I think either you just crush his range of mostly 33, or if his range is wider with more AX, you still beat more hands of villain on average.