This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] KQo

• Lunarta
      Lunarta
      Bronze
      IPoker, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 4 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BB: $17.13 (171.3 bb)
      CO: $9.85 (98.5 bb)
      Hero (BTN): $8.90 (89 bb)
      SB: $10.45 (104.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with Q K
      CO folds, Hero raises to $0.20, SB folds, BB calls $0.10

Flop: ($0.45) 8 K 3 (2 players)
      BB bets $0.45, Hero raises to $1.20, BB calls $0.75

Turn: ($2.85) J (2 players)
      BB bets $0.40, Hero calls $0.40

River: ($3.65) 4 (2 players)
      BB bets $0.50, Hero calls $0.50

Results:
      $4.65 pot ($0.31 rake)
      Final Board: 8 K 3 J 4
      BB showed 6 8 and lost (-$2.30 net)
      Hero mucked Q K and won $4.34 ($2.04 net)

I´ve seen many coaches use the 2BB raise from B and i do like it, playing rather loose from the B. On the flop i wanted to 3-bet since i thought i´m very likely ahead (considering his range includes a lot of stuff) and i didn´t want to give a free card. On the turn and river however i was afraid that he could´ve catched his flush. If i´d re-raise him, i wouldn´t be able to call his potential 4-bet, so i chose the safer way of play. Did i lose value doing so?

On a side note, i wonder why i can´t see BB's stats here?
  • 1 reply
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by Lunarta
      . On the flop i wanted to 3-bet since i thought i´m very likely ahead
      A 3bet describes the 3rd bet in a sequence. Your flop raise is not a 3bet here. When talking about preflop, a re-raise vs an open raise is described as a 3bet because the positing of the SB+BB is considered the first bet.

Raising is a pretty decent option. You can even think about raising smaller to encourage your opponent to call with more Kxs/8xs/ etc.

Originally posted by Lunarta
      On the turn and river however i was afraid that he could´ve catched his flush. If i´d re-raise him, i wouldn´t be able to call his potential 4-bet, so i chose the safer way of play. Did i lose value doing so?
      I think you played turn and river fine. Not only might your opponent have a flush, but he is now much less likely to call a raise with any worse Kx or other pairs. So even if you still have the best hand a decent amount, you can't really raise for value.