[NL2-NL10] KQo

• Lunarta
      Lunarta
      Bronze
      IPoker, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 4 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BB: $17.13 (171.3 bb)
      CO: $9.85 (98.5 bb)
      Hero (BTN): $8.90 (89 bb)
      SB: $10.45 (104.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with Q K
      CO folds, Hero raises to $0.20, SB folds, BB calls $0.10

Flop: ($0.45) 8 K 3 (2 players)
      BB bets $0.45, Hero raises to $1.20, BB calls $0.75

Turn: ($2.85) J (2 players)
      BB bets $0.40, Hero calls $0.40

River: ($3.65) 4 (2 players)
      BB bets $0.50, Hero calls $0.50

Results:
      $4.65 pot ($0.31 rake)
      Final Board: 8 K 3 J 4
      BB showed 6 8 and lost (-$2.30 net)
      Hero mucked Q K and won $4.34 ($2.04 net)

I´ve seen many coaches use the 2BB raise from B and i do like it, playing rather loose from the B. On the flop i wanted to 3-bet since i thought i´m very likely ahead (considering his range includes a lot of stuff) and i didn´t want to give a free card. On the turn and river however i was afraid that he could´ve catched his flush. If i´d re-raise him, i wouldn´t be able to call his potential 4-bet, so i chose the safer way of play. Did i lose value doing so?

On a side note, i wonder why i can´t see BB's stats here?
  • 1 reply
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by Lunarta
      . On the flop i wanted to 3-bet since i thought i´m very likely ahead
      A 3bet describes the 3rd bet in a sequence. Your flop raise is not a 3bet here. When talking about preflop, a re-raise vs an open raise is described as a 3bet because the positing of the SB+BB is considered the first bet.

Raising is a pretty decent option. You can even think about raising smaller to encourage your opponent to call with more Kxs/8xs/ etc.

Originally posted by Lunarta
      On the turn and river however i was afraid that he could´ve catched his flush. If i´d re-raise him, i wouldn´t be able to call his potential 4-bet, so i chose the safer way of play. Did i lose value doing so?
      I think you played turn and river fine. Not only might your opponent have a flush, but he is now much less likely to call a raise with any worse Kx or other pairs. So even if you still have the best hand a decent amount, you can't really raise for value.