[NL2-NL10] 99 oop, flopped set.

• zachrina
      zachrina
      Bronze
      Hi,

I think I played this hand okay post flop and my raise pre was influenced by the first limper being loose passive and the second being a pretty standard abc player. So thought I could get both off the hand post flop if I missed after showing the pre flop aggression. Being out of position also promted my raise as I was happy to take it down pre.
      Also how should I play this on the river? Was it okay?

Thanks,
      Zach

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)

Known players:
      MP2:
      $11.31
      MP3:
      $11.80
      CO:
      $10.88
      BU:
      $10.04
      SB:
      $4.76
      BB (Hero):
      $14.24
      MP1:
      $10.73

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9, 9.
      MP1 folds, MP2 calls $0.10, MP3 calls $0.10, 3 folds, Hero raises to $0.60, MP2 calls $0.50, MP3 calls $0.50.

Flop: ($1.85) T, 2, 9 (3 players)
      Hero checks, MP2 checks, MP3 checks.

Turn: ($1.85) 2 (3 players)
      Hero checks, MP2 checks, MP3 bets $0.88, Hero calls $0.88, MP2 folds.

River: ($3.61) K (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.71, MP3 folds, Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $3.61.
  • 4 replies
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey Zachrina,

What is your reason for slow-playing the flop? There are draws and pairs that might call a cbet - I think you are missing value. Also the board is not so dry that you can't be sucked out on. I'd probably cbet.

Same applies on the turn - it's true you under-represent your hand by taking this line but you make it next to impossible to get all of the stacks in. Turn is also your last opportunity to get value from any draws.

River is unlikely to help your opponent unless he specifically has KT/JQ. As played I actually like a smaller bet here on the river. You encourage small pairs to call, whilst still allowing your opponent to raise if he has 2-pair or better.
    • yougotfelted51
      yougotfelted51
      Bronze
      bet flop vs Tx/33-88/straight draws/random floats

bet turn again as whatever calls flop is likely to call turn.

on river i would likely bet again. QJ will raise it anyway, and we know villain will likely check back Tx/33-88 now
    • zachrina
      zachrina
      Bronze
      Thanks for your input guys,

Yes definately missed value now you say it. I suppose I just think at least one will bet and that way I will get more money?!?
      So it is best to bet out and just start to build a bigger pot on every street??
      and if they fold at least we gave ourselves a chance of winning more money.
      Is this line you suggest more profitable long term? I guess it is and again will prevent a suck out situation. I thought about a CR but was frightened of the guy folding.

Thanks.
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by zachrina
      Is this line you suggest more profitable long term? I guess it is and again will prevent a suck out situation. I thought about a CR but was frightened of the guy folding.
      Long term it's usually going to be more profitable to start building a pot as soon as possible. You usually needs very specific reasons to slowplay.

Players get scared of raising because they think of all the times their opponents fold when they have the nuts. This is being results orientated though; yup sometimes your opponents will fold, but if you slowplay in a bad spot you can miss out on a whole stack far more often.