[NL2-NL10] 10NL QQ UTG-How Did I play it?

• shyguy42
      shyguy42
      Bronze
      This was early in my session and only had vague reads on players.

after 23 hands UTG+1 has been playing 39/22
      MP1 is 22/12 over 47 hands.

Both blinds are tight regs both around 4% 3bet

PokerStars - $0.10 NL - Holdem - 8 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 3

MP+1: $13.53
      CO: $10.00
      BTN: $6.19
      SB: $10.41
      BB: $10.15
      Hero (UTG): $10.00
      UTG+1: $12.36
      MP: $6.87

SB posts SB $0.05, BB posts BB $0.10

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero has Q:heart: Q:club:

Standard raise. as mentioned above both blind are TAG that i dont expect to defend their blinds to wide against UTG open. UTG+1 has been playing loose so far so I expect a call from a wide range from him.

Hero raises to $0.30, UTG+1 calls $0.30, fold, MP+1 calls $0.30, fold, fold, fold, fold

Flop: ($1.05, 3 players) T:heart: 3:diamond: K:heart:

So I get two calls, I don't have the strongest read on mp1 other than this is the first time I've played with him, and he's at 2 of my tables. I bet here to try to take the hand down, or at worst narrow the field and play a pot against the suspected fish.

Hero bets $0.60, UTG+1 calls $0.60, fold

Turn: ($2.25, 2 players) K:spade:

When I get called on the flop I think there can be Kx in the villains range. also strong 10x hands. also heart draws and straight draws.

The K on the turn is a beautiful card in my eyes. A lot of Kx is eliminated from his hand combos. I decide to check with the plan to check call. I feel I have strong show down value and if I were to bet, vallain could then raise and put me in a tough spot. Also if villain has a draw I think most of the time he may check back here, giving me information on his hand.

Hero checks, UTG+1 bets $1.60, Hero calls $1.60

is my check call ok?

River: ($5.45, 2 players) 2:spade:
      Hero bets $2.00

River is a brick. perfect. right now I am putting my opponent on JJ or 10x. there is a slim chance that he has Kx. I bet 2$ into 5.45 if he raises I think that he has Kx and I have to fold. I also feel the 2$ would get called by pairs lower than mine.

good river donk lead?

against relatively unknown fish is my post flop play OK?
  • 1 reply
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey shyguy42,

Originally posted by shyguy42
      I decide to check with the plan to check call. I feel I have strong show down value and if I were to bet, vallain could then raise and put me in a tough spot. Also if villain has a draw I think most of the time he may check back here, giving me information on his hand.
      So, what you are saying is true. And you are right about the K turn, it removes Kx combinations from his range.

However you certainly don't want him to check back with flush-draws, regardless of whether it gives you information. (I actually think there is a decent chance he bets flush-draws anyway).

I don't think you will be in a tough spot if you get raised: you can easily have a Kx and it's very unlikely your opponent is going to semi-bluff raise you here. If you get raised you can fold easily.

If you felt he would check back flush-draws when he might call a bet, you are missing value by not betting. (When he has a Kx you are going to lose an additional street of value anyway by check-calling). Given your reasoning the best option is to bet. Check-call will still be profitable, but if he only bets his Kx and checks back the rest of his hands that's not going to be that great compared to betting.

Originally posted by shyguy42
      River is a brick. perfect. right now I am putting my opponent on JJ or 10x. there is a slim chance that he has Kx. I bet 2$ into 5.45 if he raises I think that he has Kx and I have to fold. I also feel the 2$ would get called by pairs lower than mine.
      We differ somewhat on our opinion of our opponents turn betting range. I actually think he would actually bet with a ton of flush-draws, straight-draws and gutshots when you check to him on the turn. If this was the case, he has many busted draws by the river and the best option would be to check/call. If you felt he never had a busted draw then your line is good obviously.

My line would be to continue betting for value on turn. Then check/call brick river.