[NL2-NL10] 710s bluffed river

• zachrina
      zachrina
      Bronze
      Hello,

I decided to call pre as I am in position with a (very marginal) drawing hand and was getting 5 to 1 on the call if the blinds just call, the blinds were both tight players btw.

I call a half pot stab with a flush draw and back door SD from villain after it checks round to him, he is playing 58/0 from a small sample I have on him.

So he now checks the turn and I decide to try to take it down. If he calls I then know he has a piece of the board. Possibly a FD or a Q as I don't think he would check a K. He calls. ??Oh NO!??? I feel I have now bloated the pot and will try to bluff the river if I miss.

So river comes another 8 and he checks. I don't think he is good enough to check a full house and let me hang myself. He more than likely has a missed flush?? AQ?? Or a decent pocket pair he didn't want to let go?? Or maybe A10??
      I have shown lots of strength and decide to Barrell again, going with my read.

My results graph shows a non showdown profit of -$12.50 although my net won is $40.76 after 2k hands and feel this is because I'm not taking advantage of these situations and also folding to other peoples moves. It could also be that I am staying in hands far too long than I should be. So I went with it and took it down. Was this play okay??

Thanks,
      Zach

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      UTG1:
      $2.10
      UTG2:
      $5.15
      MP1:
      $12.49
      MP2:
      $7.64
      MP3:
      $16.99
      CO:
      $3.70
      BU (Hero):
      $17.18
      SB:
      $16.89
      BB:
      $11.72

Preflop: Hero is BU with 7, T.
      2 folds, MP1 raises to $0.20, MP2 calls $0.20, MP3 calls $0.20, CO folds, Hero calls $0.20, SB calls $0.15, BB calls $0.10.

Flop: ($1.2) 8, Q, K (6 players)
      SB checks, BB checks, MP1 checks, MP2 bets $0.57, MP3 folds, Hero calls $0.57, SB folds, BB folds, MP1 folds.

Turn: ($2.34) K (2 players)
      MP2 checks, Hero bets $1.67, MP2 calls $1.67.

River: ($5.68) 8 (2 players)
      MP2 checks, Hero bets $4.05, MP2 folds, Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $5.68.
  • 3 replies
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey Zachrina,

Preflop is fine given that it is shaping up to be a huge multiway pot and you have a suited-connector.

Flop call is good given the pot-odds + implied odds you get.

I'm not sure turn bluff is that great. MP2 was not even the pre-flop raiser so he must have a least something to take a stab at 6way pot. Usually at least a good draw or pair, and I don't see him folding this to another bet. I'd probably check back and hope to hit your flush.

You river bluff is a lot nicer than your turn bluff. Opponent is folding all busted-draws in his range and possibly some Qx. Maybe your goal here should not be to try and fold out Qx though. It might be better to bet smaller and hope simply to fold out any busted draws. This way you get a much better price on your bluff and you lose less when villain wakes up with a monster or decides to hero call with his Qx.

Nice hand though!
    • zachrina
      zachrina
      Bronze
      I agree but my river bluff was set up by my flop and turn bets which showed lots of strength. But yes maybe I should check behind in the long term and will bet smaller in long term too. I suppose I went with my gut here too and it worked but my gut is wrong probably 65% of the time which means I will lose money going with it long term, LOL.7

Thanks again,
      Zach
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by zachrina
      I agree but my river bluff was set up by my flop and turn bets which showed lots of strength
      You are right. But I was looking at your thought process, not the hand itself.

If you'd said during your thought process on the turn which rivers you were going to fire as a bluff if called, I'd like your turn bet a lot more.

The way your thought processes conveyed it was that you were betting on the turn purely to take the pot down without any considerations for the river. I.e it was only afterwards when you realised the pot was bloated that you decided to fire.

Do you see the difference? :)