[NL2-NL10] Aa

• sketchzr
      sketchzr
      Bronze
      Checking back on the river good idea? villain is relatively unknown fish.

Poker Stars $10.00 No Limit Hold'em - 6 players
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

BB: $21.40 - VPIP: 20, PFR: 16, 3B: 11, AF: 3.0, Hands: 51
      Hero (UTG): $10.00
      MP: $10.00 - VPIP: 12, PFR: 12, 3B: 8, AF: 0.0, Hands: 33
      CO: $10.87 - VPIP: 17, PFR: 14, 3B: 6, AF: 3.0, Hands: 108
      BTN: $10.15 - VPIP: 26, PFR: 26, 3B: 0, AF: 0.0, Hands: 35
      SB: $10.61 - VPIP: 50, PFR: 6, 3B: 0, AF: 1.2, Hands: 48

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero is UTG with A:diamond: A:spade:
      Hero raises to $0.30, 3 folds, SB calls $0.25, 1 fold

Flop: ($0.70) K:diamond: J:club: 9:heart: (2 players)
      SB bets $0.30, Hero raises to $1.05, SB calls $0.75

Turn: ($2.80) 2:heart: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $1.60, SB calls $1.60

River: ($6.00) J:diamond: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks

Final Pot: $6.00
      Hero shows A:diamond: A:spade:
      SB shows T:heart: K:heart:
      Hero wins $5.73
      (Rake: $0.27)
  • 3 replies
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey sketchzr,

I prefer a slightly smaller raise on the flop - you don't want to scare out those pair+gutshot type hands. Even with a Kx it's pretty scary facing such a large raise.

Turn is ok to bet again for value. SB re-raises his nutted hands on the flop. Strongest he can have is J9/K9.

On the river you may have some thin value, but I wouldn't bet more than $2 or so, you need to get called by a Kx which might be a little harder when J pairs.
    • sketchzr
      sketchzr
      Bronze
      Originally posted by w34z3l
      Hey sketchzr,

I prefer a slightly smaller raise on the flop - you don't want to scare out those pair+gutshot type hands. Even with a Kx it's pretty scary facing such a large raise.

Turn is ok to bet again for value. SB re-raises his nutted hands on the flop. Strongest he can have is J9/K9.

On the river you may have some thin value, but I wouldn't bet more than $2 or so, you need to get called by a Kx which might be a little harder when J pairs.
      I think I raised this big to protect vs. draws, also I think whenever a fish is donking into you they're not usually folding to a raise so I think there is some grounds for such a substantial raise, but typically I think about 0.80 is ok.

I never really feel to confident in betting paired turns especially with a Jx hand not being so unlikely with this opponent, I find people always check back to you when hitting trips on the river and you're leading, relatively speaking anyway.
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by sketchzr
      I think I raised this big to protect vs. draws, also I think whenever a fish is donking into you they're not usually folding to a raise
      Yeah, there is an argument for raising big. Sometimes it can bet better make smaller bets even on drawy boards, if there are already a high percentage of made hands opponent can already have compared to draws. Like Q79ss is a drawy board, but there are a lot less made hands opponent will likely show up with compared to draws they might have.

There must eventually be a point where you bet so big opponent only calls with 2pairs/sets/TQ on this KJ9 rainbow board etc. It's great if opponent continues with any pair and any gutshot on this board texture.

Originally posted by sketchzr
      I never really feel to confident in betting paired turns especially with a Jx hand not being so unlikely with this opponent, I find people always check back to you when hitting trips on the river and you're leading, relatively speaking anyway.
      A decent amount of players will donk a J on river in my experience. It's not a mandatory bet for you, especially if you felt 1/3rd pot might induce bluff raises, but there could well be some thin value there.