[NL2-NL10] A4s btn NL10

• zachrina
      zachrina
      Bronze
      I got a bit lost with this hand and maybe should have exercised some pot control on the turn??
      I also felt I should protect my hand and sometimes find it difficult to get the balance right or which choice to make.
      Villain was 38/23 over a small sample so i figured he could be holding a fairly wide range.
      I think I played it alright but pot control would have been the best option on turn like I said.
      The bet on the end had me thinking he possibly had K10 or even JQ?? But to be honest I think I am just hoping.

Thanks,
      Zach

hand-converter/]PokerStrategy.com hand converter[/url]:[/I]

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      MP3:
      $10.00
      CO:
      $10.00
      BU (Hero):
      $9.97
      SB:
      $12.47
      BB:
      $11.65
      UTG1:
      $10.39
      UTG2:
      $3.00
      MP1:
      $3.33
      MP2:
      $7.13

Preflop: Hero is BU with A, 4.
      6 folds, Hero raises to $0.40, SB calls $0.35, BB folds.

Flop: ($0.9) 9, A, Q (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.64, SB calls $0.64.

Turn: ($2.18) 6 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $1.56, SB calls $1.56.

River: ($5.3) J (2 players)
      SB bets $5.04, Hero folds, SB gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $5.3.
  • 4 replies
    • kymupa
      kymupa
      Bronze
      Hello,

Is 4bb standard for you from BU here? I think we should probably look forward to make smaller sizings on the late positions - like 3bb?

Considering that the board is quite connected here I think cbetting is fine.

I do think that the turn is a check back. We pick up some extra equity but then I'm not really sure how much worse hands would call us here, so I'd rather check back here and keep the pot smaller.

As played, the river is fine.
      I don't think he'd have a worse hand here at all.

Best,
      Plamen
    • zachrina
      zachrina
      Bronze
      So I should adjust my late pos raise size to 3bb as a general rule for all raises do you think?? The beginners course advises 4bb I think?

Thanks,
      Zach
    • kymupa
      kymupa
      Bronze
      Well, against unknown opponents I would open 3bb from BU and lets say 3.5bb from CO.

This is because we have a wide range and we don't want to build up a big pot with this wide range, right?

And we also lose less if we get 3bet and fold and need less fold equity for the steal to be profitable.
    • zachrina
      zachrina
      Bronze
      Yes, this is definately a better raise size. I am always uncomfortable raising from CO or Btn with this type of holding. I will adjust my sizing accordingly.
      Thank you