BB ($2)
      UTG ($4.32)
      UTG+1 ($2)
      UTG+2 ($3.26)
      Hero ($2)
      CO ($1.20)
      BTN ($1.07)

Dealt to Hero A:club: K:spade:

fold, UTG+1 calls $0.02, fold, Hero raises to $0.10, fold, BTN calls $0.10, SB calls $0.09, fold, UTG+1 calls $0.08

FLOP ($0.42) A:diamond: 3:club: 2:club:

SB checks, UTG+1 bets $0.40, Hero folds, BTN folds, SB folds

UTG+1 wins $0.40

Villain stats are 9/7 AF 2.7 - he is playing 10+ tables usually so I take him as a nitty guy who doesnt play a hand big unless he hit it strong

even though I hit the flop nice, he leads for a pot here with 4 people and I dont think he would be doing that with Ax hands, AK would probably 3bet me on the preflop if not he would just check/call here as with any stronger ace...so I think he is probably either on a set or a straight and just wants to get value in
  • 3 replies
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Hi

Call Flop and see what happens next. He doesn't necessarily have a set here

Thanks.
    • HrabriLavek
      HrabriLavek
      Bronze
      in case the turn card is blank and he checks,

is my plan here to check back and try to get to showdown with a plan to check the river too, or should I bet/fold in that situation and check the river if he calls the turn and checks river back

thanks
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Hi.

While I usually do not advocate pot controlling AK esp when opponent checks since a check/raise occurs so rarely, I would like to point out some things

1) Limp/calling ranges from tight nits at lower stakes (note the close VPIP/PFR) tends to be pocketpairs in EP most of the time.
      2) I'd expect him to raise AQ and AK preflop.

Therefore I think a check on the Turn is good.

Thanks.