Getting Raised With An Overpair

• Michael2345
      Michael2345
      Basic
      Hi, this situation happens a lot and I'm not always quite sure how to handle it. Being check raised or raised after I bet on the flop with an overpair. Against bad players I'll usually continue; however, against tight or good players what is the best way to procede in the hand? I find they normally have me beat but sometimes they'll just have top pair decent or good kicker that I'm ahead of or even a draw although that seems to be less common. Any help from players/coaches would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  • 7 replies
    • Rihard4a
      Rihard4a
      Bronze
      Everything depends on the Limit you play.
    • Michael2345
      Michael2345
      Basic
      I agree but there's different types of players at each limit as well so you shouldn't just always be playing the same way regardless of the different types of players imo.
    • Saren113
      Saren113
      Bronze
      If they rep a very narrow range as for example AK4 and it's a single raised pot and you are the PFR do you fold your AQ on this board prob not as he reps super thin A4s and 44.
    • Rihard4a
      Rihard4a
      Bronze
      At limits up to NL50 usually, your over pair on check-raised flop will be behind.
    • Erevos
      Erevos
      Bronze
      In my opinion, first of all it depends on the villain, specific reads you have on him, stats etc...
      Also (obviously) depends on the limit, your image and other things i am too noob to know.

I will be folding AA all day long, if a 12/9 nit with WTSD=20% or a passive fish with AF=0.8 raises me :tongue: Well, unless he does this with an overpair as well...
      So again, watching the action and having notes-reads is the best thing.
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      Originally posted by Rihard4a
      Everything depends on the Limit you play.
      Actually everything depends on the player you play and the effective stacksize in bb.

The things you should look for is their preflop calling range(the wider they call preflop the less likely it is they out flopped you) Like if someone has only PP in their range he will outflop you more often then someone flatting a wider range.

The second thing you look for is their postflop raise and check/raise and their overall aggression.
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      Like already mentioned the most important factors are the effective stacksizes, your opponents stats, your reads and the board itself. Since so many information is required for making a good decision it's not possible to give you a general answer.

If you have specific spots in mind you should post them so we can have a closer look.

If you have any further question feel free to ask!

Regards,
      Asaban