Afraid of losing

• Tosh5457
      Tosh5457
      Bronze
      Ok I'm not sure I post this here but it's a psychological thing...

When I start winning and I win like 1BI or even less I'm then afraid to lose it and I have to stop my session because I believe I play worse than I usually would. I'm worried because on these sessions usually I'm always hitting the flop or just getting many donks on the tables I am and I'm not using this just because I'm afraid... Then I'm also afraid to play deep on a table (140BBs+)

Any of you feel this? And what do you do?
  • 5 replies
    • shloogy
      shloogy
      Bronze
      look at the general image.are u a winning player after 50k hands?
      if so than u got nothing to worry the winnings are determained by bb\100 so it doesnt matter if u lose 100bb on one shot.

maybe u should try sss could work for u, since u can only lose 20bb
    • Tosh5457
      Tosh5457
      Bronze
      Originally posted by shloogy
      look at the general image.are u a winning player after 50k hands?
      if so than u got nothing to worry the winnings are determained by bb\100 so it doesnt matter if u lose 100bb on one shot.

maybe u should try sss could work for u, since u can only lose 20bb
      Well I think I'm a winning player, although I only got like 5k-10k hands with BSS. I don't know since I used to play with SSS on NL10 too and the stats are mixed and I've received some bonuses meanwhile.
      But I'll keep that in mind, winnings on the short term is for nits anyway :)
    • NiekamNeidomu
      NiekamNeidomu
      Bronze
      actualy i writed some works for uni about manipulation, anger managment and other psichological stuff xD maybe i will make a gift for ps.de some day translate them, and post here ^^
      anyways.. what you are experiencing ..that fear.. it's a common thing for most of players.. when they move up to a new limit's..they r afraid of losing money.. but you have to learn to control that fear..becouse uncontroled fear's eventualy evolves to phobia ..and you will lose money overal.. and when you lose it.. for example you get a downswing it can put you easy on tilt. becouse you r afraid of losing money.. this is not only problem in poker..but most of buisnes men go broke and lose milions only becouse they r afraid to lose it.. if you think logical. only 1 from 5 investition pays of.. but when it does it pays off with 10x or more.. anyways..
      you can trie to play on a bit lower limit.. and get your comfort zone..where you wouldnt b afraid to lose that buy in or even more.. if you will b afraid to lose your money you wont simple win it ;)
    • Tosh5457
      Tosh5457
      Bronze
      Originally posted by NiekamNeidomu
      actualy i writed some works for uni about manipulation, anger managment and other psichological stuff xD maybe i will make a gift for ps.de some day translate them, and post here ^^
      anyways.. what you are experiencing ..that fear.. it's a common thing for most of players.. when they move up to a new limit's..they r afraid of losing money.. but you have to learn to control that fear..becouse uncontroled fear's eventualy evolves to phobia ..and you will lose money overal.. and when you lose it.. for example you get a downswing it can put you easy on tilt. becouse you r afraid of losing money.. this is not only problem in poker..but most of buisnes men go broke and lose milions only becouse they r afraid to lose it.. if you think logical. only 1 from 5 investition pays of.. but when it does it pays off with 10x or more.. anyways..
      you can trie to play on a bit lower limit.. and get your comfort zone..where you wouldnt b afraid to lose that buy in or even more.. if you will b afraid to lose your money you wont simple win it ;)
      Thanks for your post, but I just have to lose that fear because I got a more than enough bankroll for my limit :) I just think if I do good choices on the long run I'll be ok, short term is for nits ^^
    • Velak
      Velak
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Tosh5457
      Well I think I'm a winning player, although I only got like 5k-10k hands with BSS. I don't know since I used to play with SSS on NL10 too and the stats are mixed and I've received some bonuses meanwhile.

But I'll keep that in mind, winnings on the short term is for nits anyway :)
      If you use any pokertracking software like PokerTracker, Elephant, or Holdem Manager, you wouldn't have to "think" if you're a winning player or not.

You could easily know, down to the exact number of hands. You could separate out the limits, as well as bonuses, and just see the amount of money you won just from playing poker at a specific limit, table, session, day, week, month, etc.

If you're not already using a piece of tracking software, and you're serious about learning from and improving your game, this is an investment into your future.

If you are using one... take some time to learn how to use it. Although I only have experience with PokerTracker so far, I'm sure the other two can easily, and clearly separate out that same data for you as well.

Eliminate the guesswork.

'I think we'll take off and nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.'
      - Cpl. Dwayne Hicks
      - Colonial Marine from 'Aliens'