This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] [NL5 SH] 44 SB vs BU

• Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Poker Stars $5.00 No Limit Hold'em - 5 players
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

BB: $2.00 - VPIP: 17, PFR: 10, 3B: 4, AF: 1.2, Hands: 86
      UTG: $3.00 - VPIP: 13, PFR: 9, 3B: 4, AF: 2.0, Hands: 88
      CO: $4.68 - VPIP: 48, PFR: 16, 3B: 0, AF: 2.6, Hands: 122
      BTN: $5.99 - VPIP: 35, PFR: 25, 3B: 15, AF: 2.3, Hands: 128 -- CC: 24, Ft3B: 1/2
      Hero (SB): $6.16 - VPIP: 23, PFR: 19, 3B: 8, AF: 3.8, Hands: 24869

Pre Flop: ($0.07) Hero is SB with 4 :heart: 4 :diamond:
      2 folds, BTN raises to $0.20, Hero raises to $0.65, 1 fold, BTN calls $0.45

Flop: ($1.35) 7 :spade: 6 :spade: 8 :diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.70, BTN calls $0.70

Turn: ($2.75) 5 :club: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $0.65, Hero calls $0.65

River: ($4.05) A :spade: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN checks

Preflop: I think we might find a call in theory, because the guy seems a little bit fishy (high CC), and we are a little bit (20bb) deeper. By default I still bluff here though.

Flop: I don't expect his range to smack this flop, plus we have a crappy gutshot + a crappy pair, so I CB :)

Turn: We improved our crappy gutshot into a crappy straight :pokerface: Now, I think here I played wrong. Should I treat my hand as a nuttish one, and try to put it all in, or I should play less aggressively? I think that our hand is good enough for a value bet on the turn at least.

I mean, 9x would be just a bad beat, right? I see overpairs calling me all day long here.
  • 5 replies
    • Raknyo
      Raknyo
      Bronze
      PF: I'd just opt for a call here, his 4xBB shows strength and I don't think your 3-bet bluff works often enough pre-flop to be profitable. I guess you could hope to make some profit post-flop but this is unlikely due to his perceivable strong range.

As played:
      F: Not sure what your hoping to accomplish with this bet, by betting 1/2 pot on a draw-heavy board you seem quite weak so BTN could easily float with A-high here. You may have the best hand at the moment but you will most likely have to give up on turn.

I'd choose to bet $0.90, yes it is more expensive but you gain more value from getting his overcards to definitely fold.

When he calls, I assume he would have a lot of overcards which would have been to stubborn to fold to $0.70, as well as some 99-JJ which are scared that you have them crushed with QQ+.

T: You turn a very strong hand, since 99 is probably the only hand in his range with 9 in it, I'd be happy calling most turn bets, specially when it looks this weak.

At this point I think he only has A-high as he probably bets more with a high-pocket pair or better.

R: Since I think his range consists mainly of Ax here, and he will most likely be unwilling to bet top pair on such a wet board (4 cards to a straight, 3 to a flush) so I'd opt for a 1/2 pot bet for some added value from my hand.
    • Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Hi there, thanks for yr comments.

PF: he had a big RFI from BU, so 44 is good enough for a bluff. calling might be an option too. Re 4 bb...I don't know, he might just open like that with all hands...it wouldn't make less sense than opening 4 bb with monsters only. So we get worse expressed odds for a call as well, btw.

F: I never bet big in a 3b pot, especially a big pot. With both my value and bluff range I make it 1/2 pot. Do yo really think that people call 14 bb in a 3bet pot with air and fold to a bigger bet? =/ Plus the board is not super draw heavy, because it's quite low for a 3bet pot.

R: I don't generally like check/call/donk line. So I think we should have bet the turn, or check/raise, as played.
    • kymupa
      kymupa
      Bronze
      Hello,

What do you think about folding here preflop?
      Without any decent info about his fold to 3bet I would prefer folding here rather than 3betting, and also his sizing concerns me a little bit.

On this flop I would rather check/fold here.
      Board is quite drawy and I don't really expect too much folds here and the guy looks like he's calling a lot so I wouldn't be surprised to be up against stuff like A6s etc.

As played, I think we have to bet the turn as well.
      We can take value from pairs + some draws. He does has 9x in his range but I think we can still value bet here.

River is bad here and I would actually prefer check/folding here.
      Everything hits and I doubt that he even bets with two pair here at all.

Best,
      Plamen
    • Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Hey Plamen,

Yeah, I think I got a bit addicted to light 3-betting :f_biggrin: I think it works on NL5...if it doesn't on this guy, I will just make a note and tighten up. So far I'm just trying him out, but I would definitely consider a fold, good tip, I think I need to fold more and defend less from SB.

I agree with our turn and river. Yeah, I actually though that he might have some random K9s or A9s apart from 99.

What about the flop though? The board looks like a disaster, but imo it's not that bad for a 3bet pot. I mean mostly he should have higher broadway here. Plus we have some equity (don't we?)

When we check the flop, can't we peel one street? :f_biggrin: CB might not make a lot of sense if he doesn't fold overcards, but maybe we can call?

TY
    • kymupa
      kymupa
      Bronze
      Well, the guy looks like he's calling a lot so I wouldn't say that this board doesn't hit his range good.
      Also he could float with some overcards so I think betting here will put us in a tough spot on the later streets.

Check/calling is the worst option to me here.
      We are not feeling comfortable to call him down with our underpair and will basically have a hard time calling him.

Overall - we tried to bluff preflop, we didn't succeed so there's nothing bad to just give up here.

Best,
      Plamen