DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

CO: $5.00 - VPIP: 37, PFR: 24, 3B: 5, AF: 1.0, Hands: 49
      BTN: $5.00 - VPIP: 22, PFR: 13, 3B: 4, AF: 0.5, Hands: 195
      Hero (SB): $5.39 - VPIP: 23, PFR: 19, 3B: 8, AF: 3.8, Hands: 24869
      BB: $13.60 - VPIP: 48, PFR: 35, 3B: 8, AF: 8.0, Hands: 48 -- CC: 33
      UTG: $5.07 - VPIP: 35, PFR: 8, 3B: 0, AF: 0.9, Hands: 49

Pre Flop: ($0.07) Hero is SB with K :club: K :spade:
      3 folds, Hero raises to $0.17, BB calls $0.12

Flop: ($0.34) 5 :diamond: A :diamond: 3 :spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.20, BB folds

BB seems like something loose, probably fishy given the stakes. Is there value in the flop bet?

I think a better plan would be to check/call like two streets. What do you think?

We CB these flops quite often, so our check/call might look a bit weird...he might put us on a draw and value bet wrongly, or on a monster and get to the showdown cheaply with an A. Either way it's pretty good for us.
  • 5 replies
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey Th334,

I prefer a check in this spot. There may be value in a flop bet, but you also have to be aware of the fact that the turn will be difficult to play OOP, and you can end up folding the best hand a lot.

It's true you turn your hand face up here by checking. I don't think it's a big deal, and I also like to check a decent amount of Aces in this spot too. Obviously you want to check-call at least one, sometimes more, it depends on how aggressive villain is.
    • Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Hey w34z3l,

I see the problem you're talking about when we are OOP, but would it actually change much if we were IP? I think checking back there is just as good as checking here. We then basically bluff-catch, and can even go for a small turn bet if he checks twice, to buy the showdown and get some value from any FD.

TY
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by Th334
      I see the problem you're talking about when we are OOP, but would it actually change much if we were IP? I think checking back there is just as good as checking here. We then basically bluff-catch, and can even go for a small turn bet if he checks twice, to buy the showdown and get some value from any FD.
      Exactly. We shouldn't cbet in position either.

I'd even cbet this hand /less/ in position because it's going to be much easier to get to showdown and keep control of the pot.
    • Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Originally posted by w34z3l
      It's true you turn your hand face up here by checking. I don't think it's a big deal, and I also like to check a decent amount of Aces in this spot too.
      Do you check/call flop and check turn with sth like AK? Why? Are we afraid of 2P? We might miss some value from floats and draws, no?

TY
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by Th334
      Do you check/call flop and check turn with sth like AK? Why? Are we afraid of 2P? We might miss some value from floats and draws, no?
      Sometimes I might; primarily I'd do it with weaker Aces.

We don't do it because we are scared of 2pair. We do it so we don't turn our hand face up when we check here.

You will run into some opponents who realise you cbet your aces and your bluffs, so they put you on weak showdown value and in some cases fire multiple barrels. This really sucks if you always have KK.

It's really great to have a hand like Ax in your flop check-calling OOP range even at micro-stakes. You can potentially make way more by using some of your Ax as bluff-catchers than value hands.