[NL20-NL50] AQ in BB vs UTG nl20

• Tombic
      Villain 27/17/55hands on annonymus table
      i completly mess up this deal, since i dont usually cold call utg raise from blinds but this hand to good to fold and no reason to 3bet, My plan was to check/raise
      flop. Flop isnt best for c/r but i think a lot better hands can fold like pocket pairs+AQ+AK. When he called i give him range AJ, 77-AA, QJs, maybe KJs. I think most of those hands can call me only one street, so i decide to check and induce bluff (or should i bet turn?). River gets pair on board but i think i cant find fold anyway. Would like comments on all streets since not sure it was best play on all of them :)

Prima, $0.10/$0.20 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 4 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BTN: $10 (50 bb)
      SB: $19.10 (95.5 bb)
      Hero (BB): $35.52 (177.6 bb)
      CO: $22.99 (115 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q A
      CO raises to $0.60, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.40

Flop: ($1.30) T 9 8 (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $0.80, Hero raises to $2.20, CO calls $1.40

Turn: ($5.70) J (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO checks

River: ($5.70) J (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $3.60, Hero calls $3.60

$12.90 pot ($0.64 rake)
      Final Board: T 9 8 J J
      Hero mucked Q A and lost (-$6.40 net)
      CO showed J T and won $12.26 ($5.86 net)
  • 1 reply
    • BogdanPS
      Hi Tombic,

We are playing vs UTG but this is a 4 handed game and thus he is in "CO". That would tell me that we could 3-bet this for value because villains like to call 3-bets IP a lot. We would still have to fold to a 4-bet though.

As played why are you checking the turn? His range for calling flop is going to have made hands and most of these won't be turned into a bluff (what range did you want him to bluff you with?).

On the river we are calling for a split in best case scenario.

I would bet 1/2-2/3 on the turn and take it from there as I expect villain to have some sort of Tx or 2p that didn't want to go broke on the flop. He rarely has KQ type hands.

I would also make that flop ck/raise slightly larger to mimic what we would make it for value. FOr example, what would you ck/raise to with 99 on that flop? 2.2 or larger?