Easiest/Hardest Gametype?

• ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Curious what the community thinks the easiest gametype is within poker, as well as the most difficult.

I've not played alot of Heads-Up Cash myself but I'd have to say these are the most difficult to master myself, as for the easiest, I'd have to go for MTT's just as a punt that you get far more fish/recreational players than other gametypes. That's my opinion and I look forward to seeing what the community think!

I'm generally thinking about Hold'em but feel free to include anything else that may stir it up ;)
  • 23 replies
    • nefarious26
      nefarious26
      Bronze
      anything full ring ---6 max--Hu

obviously the more hands you have to play=the more dissisions you need to make
    • Riverdiver
      Riverdiver
      Bronze
      easiest, probably full ring sit & go's. As for the hardest, i'm gonna go with HU PLO
    • ragney
      ragney
      Bronze
      Yeah def FR > SH > HU

In HU you have the hardest decisions to make. Your edge comes from the marginal spots (where you usually fold those in FR/SH)

Biggest winrate and variance are at HU though. FR has the lowest winrate/variance (except MTTs). SH is somewhere in between.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Since the scope is so wide, I'll say 5-Card Draw.

I KNOW that this is the easiest, because I'm a winning player :D
    • tolari
      tolari
      Black
      the amount of decisions argument is true with the same amount of hands/h, usually players who play fr or sh play more tables than HU players so the numbers of decisions might be similar.

Plain Poker Skill wise I think it's pretty similar, you can always find new ways to get better,

even if in MTT you play often more shallow stacks than in CG and you don't use very complicated bluffs or lines, you still should understand why good lines work in CG to get better grasp of the game and pwn even more;)

The problem is variance in my opinion, games with highest standard deviation being the hardest to play in a long term:

MTT -> HT SNG HU !! -> SNG Hu -> SNG SH, FR -> HU -> SH -> FR imo (from hardest to easiest)
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      If we factor in fishes as you did in OP then I'd have to disagree and say that HU cash is the easiest since you can be an extreme bumhunter (like wast majority of HU regs these days) and profit while playing very poorly.
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Originally posted by tolari
      the amount of decisions argument is true with the same amount of hands/h, usually players who play fr or sh play more tables than HU players so the numbers of decisions might be similar.

Plain Poker Skill wise I think it's pretty similar, you can always find new ways to get better,

even if in MTT you play often more shallow stacks than in CG and you don't use very complicated bluffs or lines, you still should understand why good lines work in CG to get better grasp of the game and pwn even more;)

The problem is variance in my opinion, games with highest standard deviation being the hardest to play in a long term:

MTT -> HT SNG HU !! -> SNG Hu -> SNG SH, FR -> HU -> SH -> FR imo (from hardest to easiest)
      Agree that variance should be factored in. But I wouldn't give it as big priority as you did. Some people are naturally more resistant to high variance, some are naturally better at making complex deep stack decisions. Don't think that one by far outweighs the other.
    • tolari
      tolari
      Black
      well maybe, I feel more comfortable playing CG and seeing some sort of long term after 200k which is less then 2 months so you can develop your game on quite reliable sample pretty quickly. I am afraid of those epic famous 1 year long downswings in MTT even if decisions on average are easier.
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Ah yea, I actually agree with you on MTTs, especially if it's deepstacked as then it kinda combines hardest parts of two worlds.

Just disagree on Sngs/Hu sngs part.
    • suaveplayer
      suaveplayer
      Bronze
      The very best answer would come from someone that has extensive experience in several types of games both HU and games with several players at the table.

I´m a HU SNG player and I don´t have any big experience with other formats.

My guess is that HU cash and HU PLO are the ones who require the most amount of skill to play at the highest level.
    • JCSeerup
      JCSeerup
      Bronze
      I think the toughest game is 6-max cash (haven't played it myself)

And the easiest would be STT's since all you need is good math and an understanding of push-fold ranges
    • tommygecko
      tommygecko
      Bronze
      Right now.. Chinese Poker I guess :D
    • belthazorrrr
      belthazorrrr
      Bronze
      STTs arent so easy because they are full of regulars and if you table select you will play extremely limited tables per day. If the quote ''sngs is about volume'' stands correct then i dont think Stts are the most easy format

I think the most easy format is one that you can bumhunt like hell. 6m cash games and any heads up format. Even if you are an average player when you play only to win the fish the you will make a good profit

This is my opinion and may someone disagree. Oh and stts is definitely NOT only about push fold ranges
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Originally posted by belthazorrrr
      I think the most easy format is one that you can bumhunt like hell. 6m cash games
      Disagree on this one a bit, sure you can bumhunt like hell and if you are good you'll have godlike winrate, but if you are only meh player you'll be losing hard to good regs and doubt that fishes can cover those losses at SSNL+.
    • Gentari
      Gentari
      Global
      Easiest: 45 man sng $0.50 level on stars
      Hardest: 6max sng $1.50 level on Stars

At least that is how I run :f_cool:
    • metza
      metza
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Gentari
      Easiest: 45 man sng $0.50 level on stars
      Hardest: 6max sng $1.50 level on Stars

At least that is how I run :f_cool:
      Try $2.25 6max turbos on FTP. So soft.
    • 3prswins
      3prswins
      Bronze
      Easiest game...... Zynga!!!! :f_biggrin: haha.

I find mss simpler than bss, maybe stack sizes should be brought into the discussion?
    • imfromsweden007
      imfromsweden007
      Bronze
      I heard PLO 6max is supposed to be very hard to master, even more so than HU PLO even.
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      The hardest game is one where I'm sat on the right of someone better than me, variant doesn't matter a lot.