[NL2-NL10] NL10 K9 vs bluffy fish

• hendo2000
      Poker Stars, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 8 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

CO: $10.15 (101.5 bb)
      BTN: $10 (100 bb)
      SB: $10 (100 bb)
      BB: $10 (100 bb)
      UTG+2: $4.44 (44.4 bb)
      MP1: $10 (100 bb)
      Hero (MP2): $16.06 (160.6 bb)
      MP3: $3.50 (35 bb)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 9 K
      UTG+2 calls $0.10, MP1 folds, Hero raises to $0.40, 4 folds, BB calls $0.30, UTG+2 calls $0.30

Flop: ($1.25) 8 J 4 (3 players)
      BB checks, UTG+2 checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($1.25) 2 (3 players)
      BB checks, UTG+2 checks, Hero checks

River: ($1.25) 4 (3 players)
      BB checks, UTG+2 bets $1.20, Hero raises to $3, BB folds, UTG+2 raises to $4.04, Hero calls $1.04

A few hands prior to this, I ended up winning a big pot vs this fish when I had TT vs his T2s on a K497Q board when he bet close to pot every street, but I thought he was full of it and called him down.

I make a raise pre to try to isolate the fish (UTG+2), plus K9s is smashing his range to bits, he's 50/36. BB is new to the table and comes along for the ride.

I don't take a stab on the flop because fish has 0% foldtocbet, I'd rather check since I have the backdoor draw and I'm likely to have the best hand if a K or 9 hits, plus the BB is a total unknown and might get in the way.

Turn is the same story, I can semi-bluff sure, but if UTG+2 has any piece of the board he's not going to fold, so it's pointless to throw money at the pot here, I'd rather get money behind when I hit.

River completes my flush but pairs the board, fish bets pot which I'm not really that concerned about given he did this with nothing in the other hand. I raise and he shoves, which isn't really much more than my raise tbh, but when he does shove I can't imagine him doing it with air because it makes no sense, I'm committed to calling here. I put him on (decending order of liklihood), a smaller flush, trip 4s, 'slowplayed' Jx, maybe some random two pair.

I'm never raising this river against a competent player who bets out like this on the river, since they can have the higher flush or a full house and they're unlikely to bet close to pot without either of these, I'm always just calling and hoping they've bet with a smaller flush. But against this guy who's proven himself to be fishy, should I do the same thing and just call his bet rather than raise given that I could be behind, or do you think stacking off on the river is fine against this kind of player?
  • 2 replies
    • BogdanPS
      Hi Hendo,

Preflop: looks fine

Postflop: I don't mind cbetting this flop with one over and two backdoors however given his small stack and that we are multiway checking back is perfectly fine.

If you were to bet the turn can you see Ax fold (from UTG+2)? BB does not really have a hand here but UTG can still have a small pair/draw. So I don't mind checking back again if we can't expect him to fold A high type hands (or small pairs).

As played the river should be a shove (rather than just a $3 raise). As you said he can have worse (and better) flushes but he can also have quite a few 4x hands. Sometimes he will have a slowplayed monster like 22 or maybe JJ but that's a lot more rare than everything else.

So the only thing I would change is to shove rather than make it $3.
    • hendo2000
      Given his 10-high bluff attempt in a previous hand he could definitely hold onto Ax if bet the turn, even without draws.

Shoving does look better as you've said, when I sized my raise I didn't look at villain's stack size (which I should have done :P ). As it was he showed 48s and took it down, so I wondered if I should have played it like I would do vs a reg and just call.