[NL2-NL10] NL10 AQs

• bennisboy
      bennisboy
      Bronze
      IPoker, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BB: $9.60 (96 bb)
      UTG: $4.44 (44.4 bb)
      Hero (MP): $10 (100 bb)
      CO: $14.41 (144.1 bb)
      BTN: $9.82 (98.2 bb)
      SB: $21.45 (214.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is MP with A Q
      UTG folds, Hero raises to $0.40, 2 folds, SB raises to $1.30, BB folds, Hero calls $0.90

Flop: ($2.70) 6 A J (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $2.02, SB calls $2.02

Turn: ($6.74) K (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks

River: ($6.74) 8 (2 players)
      SB bets $3, Hero calls $3

Results:
      $12.74 pot ($0.84 rake)
      Final Board: 6 A J K 8
      Hero mucked A Q and lost (-$6.32 net)
      SB showed K K and won $11.90 ($5.58 net)

Called the 3b as I am IP with a hand with good playability.

On the turn, I check behind to control the pot size, and I think I'm behind a lot of PF 3b range here

River, should never have called after my conclusion on the turn right?
  • 3 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi Bennisboy,

Preflop: What do we know about villain? This should be our first concern.

Normally we can call versus wide 3-betters but here he 3-bets versus MP from blinds so they actually have stronger ranges.

Postflop: As played I would bet the flop smaller and river should be a fold as we played it because we don't really beat anything that ck/calls flop and bets river (unless he bluffs with QQ).
    • bennisboy
      bennisboy
      Bronze
      Villain is pretty much unkown, all my hands have been fast fold lately, so no more than 100 hands on most villains.

So what kind of range would you give an unknown BB for a 3b here?

Yeah I really don't like my river call, I knew I wasn't beating much, but still called.

Like if we think of 3bs of JJ+, AJs+, AKo, then the only thing we are really beating is air most of the time here correct?
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by bennisboy
      Villain is pretty much unkown, all my hands have been fast fold lately, so no more than 100 hands on most villains.

So what kind of range would you give an unknown BB for a 3b here?

Yeah I really don't like my river call, I knew I wasn't beating much, but still called.

Like if we think of 3bs of JJ+, AJs+, AKo, then the only thing we are really beating is air most of the time here correct?
      Not only do we beat only air but he cannot really have much air in his range. HE ck/called a big bet on that flop so the only "air" he can have is QQ or weak Ax (that he bluffed with) that would almost always check that river.

Unless the games are super aggro I tend to give a lot more respect to 3-bets from the blinds towards EP/MP raisers so I would say his range is quite strong (with the occasional bluff).