In a game full of variables, it's nice to have some constants.

• Raknyo
      Raknyo
      Bronze
      Quick and dirty blog to help chart my progress.

Used to have a problem keeping databases - I'd delete my DB if I tilted too much, but I feel like I've gotten over that hurdle. The key to getting over this was to begin to take responsibility for my actions.

At the moment, wins and losses don’t matter as much to me and instead I am focusing on the prevention of future mistakes.

You can compare building a poker bankroll to playing a massive game of Jenga. You can spend a lot of time and effort, carefully selecting all your moves in order to play successfully but all it can take is a couple stupid decisions and your tower will come crashing down.

Current goals

Daily goals:
      • Play at least 4 hours of NL5 - I have a lot of free time at the moment. Also make sure to use proper evaluation methods.
      • Post at least two hands for evaluation - got to maintain constant improvement.
      • Revise or review some relevant concepts - the key part of this sentence is making sure the material is relevant and useful
      • Don't delete your database - you need to track your progress.
      • Sleep/eat/exercise regularly - some important in these games of mental endurance to be at the peak of your health/fitness.

Short-term goals:
      • Don't make any big mistakes for three constant sessions - be sure to keep track of the quality of your decision-making. Feel free to open up a second table once this has been achieved.

Mid-term goals:
      • Maintain a 4BB/100 win-rate over 20K hands - should remember not to care too much if this fails as variance can affect it greatly.

Been playing this game for a couple years no and I'm a BE player who has the ambition and drive to crush the highest stakes. Got to just make sure I spend my time working towards this long-run goal.
  • 2 replies
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Good luck Raknyo!
    • legand73
      legand73
      Bronze
      Hey Rankyo

I used to have a similar problem to you. I would never delete my database but i would feel the need to because I felt like it didn't truly represent my skill and would rather just have a clean slate.

I like your goals and I would also suggest trying something that helped me. I spend the first 20 mins of a session just playing one or two tables. Every play, I verbalize the reasons for making each move that way when you come to a tough spot you can easily mark the hand and post the hand for evaluation. This helps you to take responsibility for your actions because you can feel like it was a genuine tough spot instead of just saying "oh i wouldn't normally do that, i was just tilting" or something similar.

Anyway good luck at the tables!!