Hero bets $1.27, BTN calls $1.27

RIVER ($5.09) A:diamond: 8:spade: 4:club: 5:spade: 3:diamond:

Hero bets $2.54, BTN calls $2.54

Hero shows A:spade: T:spade:
      (Pre 62%, Flop 80.2%, Turn 36.4%)

BTN shows 5:heart: 4:heart:
      (Pre 38%, Flop 19.8%, Turn 63.6%)

BTN wins $9.50

I usually don't take this line but here I was trying it out.

When he pots it on the flop he's usually not having anything but c/r is not an option since our kicker is still bad and we don't beat that much but most often he doesn't call us anyway.

His pot size bet was the reason I decided to donk turn since those players either pot on turn too or just check behind. We get some equity with FD but I think he probably has some SD.

On river I was thinking of betting smaller since he will call us with 8x but if he raises he did hit some 2 pair or sth. Is c/c better on this river? Or is even c/f an option?
  • 2 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi Yax,

Preflop: If he has nothing on that flop (or polarized range) ck/raise doesn't make sense not because of our kicker but rather because we can't really get value nor bluff.

I don't really like our donk there. First, he still has initiative and can interpret our bet as weak and thus raise us (we don't really want to get raised here). Why not check and let him continue his betting (since you assumed his weak he can't call much anyway) and go from there?

Why are we deviating from our "standard" line of calling? If he checks behind it's not the end of the world because that usually means a hand that's weak and would hardly pay us off.

What was your plan if you got raised on that turn?
    • yaxkukmian
      yaxkukmian
      Bronze
      Originally posted by BogdanPS
      Why are we deviating from our "standard" line of calling? If he checks behind it's not the end of the world because that usually means a hand that's weak and would hardly pay us off.
      Totally agree. Creative lines might be used against better players (or maybe even not on NL10) not against players who probably don't think too much.

Originally posted by BogdanPSWhat was your plan if you got raised on that turn?
      If he raises us small I would make a call and reevaluate on the river. If he decides to go for big bet on the river I would then fold it.
      If he's raising us big on this turn... I'm...lost...but would go for shove or fold probably.