nvaz

• nvaz
      nvaz
      Bronze
      Hi,

Nuno here from Portugal. I'm 35 years old, have a full-tim job and i will try to build a BR from the $20 ticket i've received from FullTilt. My poker background is mainly from SNGMTT's ($2.50 180man on PStars).

[X] Lesson 1
      [X] Lesson 2
      [X] Lesson 3
      [X] Lesson 4
      [ ] Lesson 5
      [ ] Lesson 6
      [ ] Lesson 7
      [ ] Lesson 8

[ ] Final Exam

Gl.
  • 10 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hello nvaz,

Welcome to the course.

For more information on each lesson please visit this link: Welcome to the No Limit Beginners Course Forums

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Bogdan
    • nvaz
      nvaz
      Bronze
      Tyvm BogdanPS :f_thumbsup:

Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?
      To have a side income to buy anything for me or for my family while improving as a player and building a solid skills to be able to play at higher stakes.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?
      Pos-flop play, Hand-reading, "just clicking buttons" (not taking time to think ), somewhat Tilt prone (not having the right mindset?), lack of a solid thinking process, not having work-ethic (study plan?)... and i'm sure i'm missing something else, or as Jared Tandler says "unconscious incompetence".

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?
      It means to play a narrow range of hands but play it aggressively (betting, re-raising) . It works because since we play few hands, people usually give us more credit so we take pots more easily without being contested .
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by nvaz
      Tyvm BogdanPS :f_thumbsup:

Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?
      To have a side income to buy anything for me or for my family while improving as a player and building a solid skills to be able to play at higher stakes.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?
      Pos-flop play, Hand-reading, "just clicking buttons" (not taking time to think ), somewhat Tilt prone (not having the right mindset?), lack of a solid thinking process, not having work-ethic (study plan?)... and i'm sure i'm missing something else, or as Jared Tandler says "unconscious incompetence".

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?
      It means to play a narrow range of hands but play it aggressively (betting, re-raising) . It works because since we play few hands, people usually give us more credit so we take pots more easily without being contested .
      Homework 1 complete. Congrats !

Looks like you have about the same weaknesses as everyone else at the micros. You have already taken the first step into minimizing their effect on your game and of course reducing them.

Good luck at the tables and with the next homework.

Keep us posted.

Best regards,

Bogdan
    • nvaz
      nvaz
      Bronze
      Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why? I think we should build our ranges based on the players that we have at our table. If we have position over fishy players we should take more risks and lower our standard open/calling/iso range so we could play more pots IP against them. We should build our LP range depending on the players who are in the BTN,SB or BB aswell, if they are 3Betting alot we should tight up a little bit more or see how they respond to 4bets and go from there, or if they aren't defending their position we could open a few more hands than the chart indicates.

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.
      TT - NL2 FR

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range
      AKo have 46.4% of equity vs a 5% range. (i used an eq. calculator), although vs the top 5% range (QQ+,AKs,AKo) have only 38.8% .
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why? I think we should build our ranges based on the players that we have at our table. If we have position over fishy players we should take more risks and lower our standard open/calling/iso range so we could play more pots IP against them. We should build our LP range depending on the players who are in the BTN,SB or BB aswell, if they are 3Betting alot we should tight up a little bit more or see how they respond to 4bets and go from there, or if they aren't defending their position we could open a few more hands than the chart indicates.

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.
      TT - NL2 FR

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range
      AKo have 46.4% of equity vs a 5% range. (i used an eq. calculator), although vs the top 5% range (QQ+,AKs,AKo) have only 38.8% .
      Homework 2 complete !

Q1: Great answer. You want to start with a default/standard range until you know more about your opponents. As soon as you have some information we should use it to make better decisions about what ranges we should play.

So players, their stack size, their style, number of players at the table, etc are all important in deciding what ranges to play.

Q2: Well done. Your hand has been answered and sorry for the delay as we didn't notice you fixed the hand (the bump post definitely helped) :)

Q3: You can download the PokerEquilab tool from here which is completely free (if you haven't done so yet).

Best of luck at the tables,

Bogdan
    • nvaz
      nvaz
      Bronze
      I'm back from a hiatus so... lets finish this course :)

Question 0: Download and install the Equilab.
      Done.

Question 1: You are holding K:sQ. What is your preflop equity against an opponent who has 3:d3? How does the equity change on this flop: J53?
      - KQs have a pf equity of 50.78% vs 33.
      - On a J:s5:d3 board the equities are the following:

K:sQ : 24.46%
      3:d3 : 73.54%

Question 2: What would you do in the following hand? (Remember that it is important to explain your reasons, simply posting "Fold" or "Call" isn't enough!)

No Limit hold'em $2 (9-handed)
      Players and stacks:
      UTG: $2.00
      UTG+1: $2.08
      MP1: $1.92
      MP2: $1.00
      MP3: $3.06
      CO: (Hero) $2.08
      BU: $2.00
      SB: $2.00
      BB: $1.24
      Preflop: Hero is CO with A:cJ
      5 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, BU calls $0.08, SB folds, BB calls $0.06.
      Flop: ($0.25) 2:c6:d3 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks, BU checks.
      Turn: ($0.25) 5 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.22, BU raises to $0.44, BB folds, Hero...?

Call. We are getting pot odds of 19.5% and we have 19.6% with our Flush Draw , besides there are more hands that can appear OTR that would improve our hand (4's, Aces, Jacks) and would be ahead of BU's range, so we should call and re-evaluate OTR.

Question 3: Do you have questions about your postflop play?
      What are the most common situation where we should call when we're not getting good/enough pot odds (besides implicit odds) ?

[SH] NL2 Top Pair BvB
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi nvaz,

Good job on your homework.

Re: Question

If you do not get direct pot odds and do not have implied odds you can't actually make a correct call.

Sometimes if the pot odds and equity are very close you may make a call because you want to gain some information about villain or because the odds are so close to the equity that there's a chance you are wrong and they are in your favor.
    • nvaz
      nvaz
      Bronze
      Homework 4

Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation in which you have the initiative postflop.
      [SH NL2] OESD OOP with initiative

Question 2: Evaluate one of the hands submitted by other members. Couldn't find any hand that wasn't evalueted by the coaches, you guys are damn too fast :D . Anyway, here it is the link: NL10 88 OP flop/ set river

Question 3: You are on the flop with K:sQ. The board cards are J, 9, 8, and your opponent holds 7:c7. What is your equity in this spot?

Board: J:s9:c8
      Equity Win Tie
      MP2 41.41% 41.41% 0.00% { K:sQ }
      MP3 58.59% 58.59% 0.00% { 7:c7 }
    • nvaz
      nvaz
      Bronze
      Hi BogdanPS ,

Homework 4 is done :]
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi BogdanPS ,

Homework 4 is done :]
      Good work :)

There's not much to add here for me other than say good job and keep up the good work.

And yes, you can always respond to a hand that was evaluated by us (just ignore the evaluation until after your post)>