bankroll management ...

• partyboy77
      partyboy77
      Bronze
      hey guys .. i have a little question about bm . i have lerned that for sng the propper bm is to play limits that is not higer than 2-3 percent of your bm so for 50 $ you can play 1$ sng´s am i right ? :) .

but my question is .. what is propper bm for cash games .. lets say

nl1/2 cent nl2/4 cent nl5/10 cent and up to where bb is 1$ ? :)
  • 8 replies
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hi partyboy77,

This is a great question and one that is so much overlooked by players because it isn't actually about playing is it? Or is it?
      Bankroll management is the first rule of poker in my opinion and the most important.
      So having preached a little to the already converted, here's a link that may be useful reading. It's a short article so shouldn't take long to understand.

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/bss/1534/1/#h1_2

Have fun,

Mal.
    • vuciitis
      vuciitis
      Bronze
      for sng and mtts u need more than 50BI... the faster the format or/and bigger field size, the bigger is variance therefore more money u need... for example for hyper turbo sng 1% buy in is pretty agressive strategy.
    • partyboy77
      partyboy77
      Bronze
      thanks for the link .. have i undestand it correctly if that you have lets say 108$ you can go for nl4 but if you then loose and go down to 99$ then its back to nl 2 to you again is above 100$ :)
    • partyboy77
      partyboy77
      Bronze
      vuciitis .. i usualy play 9 man regular sng .. is it stil bad bm to play the 1$ sng with 99$ and down to 0$ and go for 2$ sng between 100$-149$ and so on ? :)
    • JCSeerup
      JCSeerup
      Bronze
      I think a good brm strategy is to move up when you have 20 bi's for the next lvl and move down when you have 20 bi's for the previus. At least as long as you are in the micros.
    • tolari
      tolari
      Black
      it all depends why you play, whats your take on depositing more money, how fast you want to go through microstakes and also your personal properties and obv. the type of game you play with rule: higher variance more conservative BRM, how many tables.

If you don't mind jumping stakes in matter of days or hours you can play a style with a lot of shot taking and small BI restrictions, if you already play decent stakes or/and poker is big part of your income, you aim more for stability and being able to withstand all kind of downswings without having to jump stakes or getting too nervous;)

so as with almost everything in poker, it depends. experiment, have fun and figure out a way thats fits you the best.

If even so you would like a cold number I would say till nl25 number of 20-25Bi normally is enough, later really depends on you, your win-rate and stuff I've mentioned before.

gl!
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      +1 to what tolari said

brm is somewhat personal really. if you are fairly new and need to ask this question, then i think ~25BI up until you reach nl25. by this point you will probably have had a fair few downswings and bad runs and you can get an idea of how these affect you, your mindset and inevitably your game. if you take it really easily then use a more aggro brm but if you are uncomfortable losing a bunch of stacks in 1 go and start worrying about your br going down then you should use more conservative rules.

one of the most important things with brm is to stick with it, and so as long as your rules make sense and you stick to them 100% you will be fine i think.
    • partyboy77
      partyboy77
      Bronze
      hey tolari :) . currently im playing to lern :) .. poker is not a part of my income at all . its only my "have fun money" or what you could call it (the money i would have spend on take out food and that sort of stuff anyways . i have about 20-30 $ a month i can deposit on poker if i loose all my br . so thats not much . so i want to stick to a tight bm . atleast until im getting better at poker :) i play sng and cashgame :) and i dont mind jumping in stakes in days or hours as long it is the right way im jumping haha :P . . but my goal is to be better at poker and while becoming a better poker player hopefully increase my br a bit .. but its not important to me how much i increase pr month .. its just important for me to be better . and if i only make 2 $ a month then im happy as loong im getting better .. the only thing that would suck would be if i loose my whole br evry month :/ so a tight bm is the right way for me to go i think :) ..