This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] nl4 JJ bluffcatch blank river

• DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      Party, $0.02/$0.04 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BTN: $12.28 (307 bb)
      BB: $3.79 (94.8 bb)
      CO: $9.02 (225.5 bb)
      Hero (MP): $8.01 (200.3 bb)
      SB: $5.96 (149 bb)
      UTG: $3.90 (97.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is MP with J J
      UTG folds, Hero raises to $0.12, 2 folds, SB calls $0.10, BB folds

Flop: ($0.28) K 5 3 (2 players)
      SB bets $0.27, Hero calls $0.27

Turn: ($0.82) 4 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks

River: ($0.82) 9 (2 players)
      SB bets $0.78, Hero calls $0.78

Results:
      $2.38 pot ($0.11 rake)
      Final Board: K 5 3 4 9
      Hero showed J J and won $2.27 ($1.10 net)
      SB showed 8 A and lost (-$1.17 net)

villain is fairly loose over 50 hands and hasnt raised many preflop. Afq = 50

is it fine to assume once he checks the turn he probably doesnt have Kx and that i should check back (in case he checkraises/folds everything but a stronger hand) and call a blank river? or should i value bet this turn vs his FDs and shut down on the river if he calls the turn?
  • 2 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi DrDunne,

Preflop: looks fine

Postflop: Flop looks fine and I would call there as well.

On the turn I prefer to bet for thin value/protection (we are folding to a ck/raise). His range can have smaller pairs and draws and then we give ourselves a good option on the river (bet or check back).

AS played calling river is fine because he isn't really repping anything other than a big slowplay or 99.
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      thanks. the reason i didn't bet the turn is because i don't want a fold... i mean whenever someone 2nd barrels here i tend to just give credit but once they check their range becomes really weak generally so i just thought i'd give him a river to stab on rather than just push him out when i have a hand. if i had air i'd consider raising the flop but i'd definitely stab with a FD on the turn given the FE...

should i not be worried about people folding and just bet out for value? even if they might stab really light on the river?