This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] cbet flop or check?

• DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      Party, $0.02/$0.04 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

Hero (BB): $5 (125 bb)
      BTN: $7.25 (181.3 bb)
      SB: $11.51 (287.8 bb)
      MP: $4.63 (115.8 bb)
      UTG: $4.96 (124 bb)
      CO: $6.92 (173 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A T
      UTG folds, MP calls $0.04, 2 folds, SB completes, Hero raises to $0.20, MP calls $0.16, SB folds

Flop: ($0.44) K T 7 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.28, MP raises to $0.56, Hero folds

Results:
      $1.00 pot ($0.05 rake)
      Final Board: K T 7
      Hero mucked A T and lost (-$0.48 net)
      MP mucked and won $0.95 ($0.47 net)

this is a really common spot and i never really look into it too much. to cbet or not to cbet?

my thinking is that he can call with lots of draws and since he limp/calls pre, i expect him to be a fairly weak player so he can call down fairly light maybe even worse pairs. not really thinking about the raise here, but as a rule of thumb do you think in this sort of spot it's best to bet/fold one or 2 streets when OOP? and IP maybe check back and play turns and rivers?
  • 2 replies
    • kymupa
      kymupa
      Bronze
      Hello,

Preflop is good.

I'd definitely bet the flop here. Quite a lot of draws here to get value from, also worse made hands as well and when I bet here my plan will be to bet the turn as well (unless it's a bad card such as J/Q/club).

In addition, if we check here we might have a hard time if he bets.

Once he raises folding is fine.

Best,
      Plamen
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      thanks. that's what i thought, and i wasn't sure about the future streets since if i bet this flop and get called and then check the turn, i expect villain to bet his entire range IP from total air, draws and nuts. but at the same time i always thought if i bet flop and turn i will mainly be called by better hands (some draws too, but not enough to make it profitable). i'll start thinking more about this sort of spot.