[NL2-NL10] cbet flop or check?

• DrDunne
      Party, $0.02/$0.04 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

Hero (BB): $5 (125 bb)
      BTN: $7.25 (181.3 bb)
      SB: $11.51 (287.8 bb)
      MP: $4.63 (115.8 bb)
      UTG: $4.96 (124 bb)
      CO: $6.92 (173 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A T
      UTG folds, MP calls $0.04, 2 folds, SB completes, Hero raises to $0.20, MP calls $0.16, SB folds

Flop: ($0.44) K T 7 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.28, MP raises to $0.56, Hero folds

$1.00 pot ($0.05 rake)
      Final Board: K T 7
      Hero mucked A T and lost (-$0.48 net)
      MP mucked and won $0.95 ($0.47 net)

this is a really common spot and i never really look into it too much. to cbet or not to cbet?

my thinking is that he can call with lots of draws and since he limp/calls pre, i expect him to be a fairly weak player so he can call down fairly light maybe even worse pairs. not really thinking about the raise here, but as a rule of thumb do you think in this sort of spot it's best to bet/fold one or 2 streets when OOP? and IP maybe check back and play turns and rivers?
  • 2 replies
    • kymupa

Preflop is good.

I'd definitely bet the flop here. Quite a lot of draws here to get value from, also worse made hands as well and when I bet here my plan will be to bet the turn as well (unless it's a bad card such as J/Q/club).

In addition, if we check here we might have a hard time if he bets.

Once he raises folding is fine.

• DrDunne
      thanks. that's what i thought, and i wasn't sure about the future streets since if i bet this flop and get called and then check the turn, i expect villain to bet his entire range IP from total air, draws and nuts. but at the same time i always thought if i bet flop and turn i will mainly be called by better hands (some draws too, but not enough to make it profitable). i'll start thinking more about this sort of spot.