[NL2-NL10] NL10 nut FD on turn

• kaktusz
      kaktusz
      Bronze
      Villain is unknown with 46/46 3bet 30 after 36 hands

IPoker, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 4 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BTN: $17.05 (170.5 bb)
      SB: $10.20 (102 bb)
      Hero (BB): $12.17 (121.7 bb)
      CO: $12.83 (128.3 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A J
      CO folds, BTN raises to $0.20, SB raises to $0.70, Hero calls $0.60, BTN folds

Flop: ($1.60) 6 9 5 (2 players)
      SB bets $0.90, Hero calls $0.90

Turn: ($3.40) 6 (2 players)
      SB bets $2, Hero ?
  • 6 replies
    • mintjelly
      mintjelly
      Bronze
      Without getting into the maths of this hand, I think your pre-flop call is ok with the mindset of trying to hit a flush, straight or J-high.

That said I would not call a pot sized bet on this flop, If you really think you have the best hand here I would min re-raise the flop/ re-evalute turn.

As played I would also fold this turn, as it brings a pair to the board and you could very well be drawing against a made full house.
    • kaktusz
      kaktusz
      Bronze
      It is not pot size bet on flop.
    • mintjelly
      mintjelly
      Bronze
      My mistake, I still wouldn't call here as it gives you no info and your hand is "worthless".
    • Philfox1985
      Philfox1985
      Bronze
      It will depend on how villains playing style.

For the given odds on the turn you should fold, however you may be able to justify calling based on the implied odds on the river. If you know the opponent will probably 3-barrell, or call a bet then you actually should call for the given odds & potential winnings on show-down.

The other option is to raise - this is a good option if we feel the villians range may be bluff heavy and he gives up when facing resistance. We fold the bluffs (which we don't actually have great equity against), and when we do get called we still have outs.
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      hey mintjelly i really don't think folding this flop is a good idea... if you call this hand preflop only to fold on this flop you are essentially folding every single flop that you miss and light money on fire.

calling preflop is bad imo because it will invite BU to come along and we will now be multiway postflop and in a sandwich with a dominated hand. AJ is gunna be bad imo because people will wind up 3betting with AQ AND they will flat a 3bet IP with AQ as well. so you flop TP with a J kicker in a 3bet 3way pot and you dont even have good position.

the perfect scenario to call would be if BU is tight and won't be calling the 3bet even if you call, and if SB has a polarised 3betting range vs the BU open. now we are good because he will have many weaker Ax hands and some other random stuff that we own.

as played i'm still not folding the flop but i will just give up the turn. i doubt he has 6x but he most likely has an overpair.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi Kaktusz,

I don't like the preflop call versus an unknown 3-bettor. We could easily be dominated and we will have a harder time playing there. A cold 4-bet could work wonders here for taking down the pot right away.

As played we get roughly 27% pot odds and we have 18% in just the flush draw. I think that the A could be an out occasionally but could also put us in a reversed implied odds scenario because villain could barrel AQ/AK. We could shove here if we knew villain does barrel these overcards but without the info it's close between a call and a fold.

I think that I would lean towards calling because our backdoor flush is hidden and can still get the implied odds necessary when we hit most rivers.