[NL2-NL10] Nl10 - 99

• Philfox1985
      Philfox1985
      Bronze
      I almost considered a hero call here.

His line made zero sense, every hand that would shove here would have bet the flop:

56 (OESD)
      Flush draw
      Qx

It REALLY felt like he could have air / Asx, but then I figured I can't call there against a fishy type of player. I often won't understand their line as I wouldn't play in the same way.

Seat 5: Hero ( $16.31 USD ) - VPIP: 31, PFR: 25, 3B: 7, AF: 2.7, Hands: 27041
      Seat 6: Player6 ( $3.36 USD ) - VPIP: 35, PFR: 4, 3B: 0, AF: 1.0, Hands: 23

Poker Stars, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

SB: $15.76 (157.6 bb)
      BB: $12.24 (122.4 bb)
      UTG: $5.17 (51.7 bb)
      MP: $7.24 (72.4 bb)
      Hero (CO): $16.31 (163.1 bb)
      BTN: $3.36 (33.6 bb)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9 9
      UTG calls $0.10, MP folds, Hero raises to $0.40, BTN calls $0.40, 3 folds

Flop: ($1.05) Q 4 7 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN checks

Turn: ($1.05) 3 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.60, BTN raises to $2.96 and is all-in, Hero folds

Results:
      $2.25 pot ($0.10 rake)
      Final Board: Q 4 7 3
      Hero mucked 9 9 and lost (-$1 net)
      BTN mucked and won $2.15 ($1.15 net)
  • 5 replies
    • kymupa
      kymupa
      Bronze
      Hello,

Preflop raising is fine.

Why don't we cbet on the flop here? I think we can definitely cbet here and even if we only go for our fold equity our bet will show profit, but we can get called by worse as well.

I think, that as played on the flop, bet/folding the turn is good.
      This line is rarely a bluff and I expect us to be behind most of the time.

Best,
      Plamen
    • Philfox1985
      Philfox1985
      Bronze
      The c-bet is tricky with this type of hand, it almost feels like I often only get called by better and fold his worse hands. The value seems to be in folding over-cards which could improve to beat us?

Now against a loose oponent / with a potential flush draw, I could get called by worse, but when I do get called OOP its just horrible playing the rest of the hand. I'm just sitting OOP with a bluff catcher thats not likely to improve.
    • kymupa
      kymupa
      Bronze
      Well, even if he only continues with Qx or better then we still have a profitable cbet only from our set value.

Also, when we check the flop here what's the plan - check/fold? I think it's way too weak.
    • Philfox1985
      Philfox1985
      Bronze
      I usually bet the flop in these spots, so no real arguments there. Looking back at the hand, I did have issues with his stack size though, it felt awkward.

If he calls the flop, we have a SPR ratio of 1 on the turn, or even if he raises the flop its tricky as the odds I'll be getting are pretty good (I would need about 34% equity to call). He is pretty passive so I would have folded to the raise, but playing the turn / river if he calls would be far from ideal - If we make any further bets we price ourselves into calling a raise.

Thinking about what I can do after the flop has been useful (just deleted a half page what-if scenarios, no-one deserves the pain of having to read through that!), its clearly very tricky but the biggest factor in playing it well is knowing how the opponent plays, that always seems a decent conclusion to reach.
    • kymupa
      kymupa
      Bronze
      Well, if he just calls the turn we can just ship it on some blank cards and expect to get called by 88/7x/FD.

just deleted a half page what-if scenarios, no-one deserves the pain of having to read through that!
      Well, you probably should have posted it.
      All in all, this is a hand evaluation forum so even if it is something bad we can look at it and advice you.

Anyways, I'm glad you thought about after the flop game.