as1947

• as1947
      as1947
      Bronze
      Hi, everyone. Started playing poker many years ago, 5 card draw, moved to holdem in the online boom. Read a couple of books, holdem for advanced players and super system, frankly they confused me more than helped. Been playing by the seat of my pants, and not doing very well. Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker? as i said been playing online, mostly micros and freerolls. never seem to get anywhere make and lose the same money over and over. motivated to be the shark not the bait-lol. Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker? well laying down a strong hand on the flop, and my opponent shows me rags. also wanting to play marginal hands up front, mainly out of boredom. lastly unable to put people on a range, in the micros they play any 2. Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive? to me it means playing very few hands but playing them aggressively, and using position to take control of the pot. PS- can't get the videos to work, have most recent flash player.
  • 5 replies
    • as1947
      as1947
      Bronze
      nl course lesson 2- Question 1- what would you play differently, I would play AQ up front and only play KQ-JT offsuit in late. playing suited in one position and os in the other makes no sense to me- you only flush 6% of the time, probably wrong lol. Question 2- preflop play- what bet sizes to make on the flop 1/2 pot or pot, should you ever min bet? Question 3- 46.3%
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by as1947
      Hi, everyone. Started playing poker many years ago, 5 card draw, moved to holdem in the online boom. Read a couple of books, holdem for advanced players and super system, frankly they confused me more than helped. Been playing by the seat of my pants, and not doing very well. Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker? as i said been playing online, mostly micros and freerolls. never seem to get anywhere make and lose the same money over and over. motivated to be the shark not the bait-lol. Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker? well laying down a strong hand on the flop, and my opponent shows me rags. also wanting to play marginal hands up front, mainly out of boredom. lastly unable to put people on a range, in the micros they play any 2. Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive? to me it means playing very few hands but playing them aggressively, and using position to take control of the pot. PS- can't get the videos to work, have most recent flash player.
      Hi as1947,

Welcome to the course.

Homework 1 complete ! Congratulations.

Re: hand reading: Even at the micros you can put players on ranges and while it's not always 100% correct you are around the same ball park.

I do recommend that you slowly start to think about what hands people can play a certain way and once you see a showdown you can compare the hand they showed up with to the hands you put them on. If the hand he showed up with was not part of the range you assigned then you can do some investigating and see what you have missed (if anything).

As far as the videos go, what error are you getting?
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by as1947
      nl course lesson 2- Question 1- what would you play differently, I would play AQ up front and only play KQ-JT offsuit in late. playing suited in one position and os in the other makes no sense to me- you only flush 6% of the time, probably wrong lol. Question 2- preflop play- what bet sizes to make on the flop 1/2 pot or pot, should you ever min bet? Question 3- 46.3%
      Homework 2 complete ! Congrats.

Suited hands are good to play not only because they get a flush every now and then but because they also let you continue on more flops/turns (with aggression) because we have extra equity.

You flop a flush draw 10% of the time on average.

As far as the bet size goes it should always depend on the:

1) Board texture
      2) Villain(s)

The wetter the board the more we bet on average. The weaker the opponents the more we valuebet for on wet boards.

So we can bet 1/2 pot on a flop like K83r and closer to pot on a flop like T98tt.
    • as1947
      as1947
      Bronze
      Thanks for the reply BoqdanPS, will give your advice a try, now back to work on the course, i can finally read all the articles - lol.
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hi there as1947,

How is the course going for you?
      It would be good if you could post a homework so the coaches can assess your progress. :)

No panic, I just thought a reminder might jog your memory about it is all. We don't often give out detention here! :D :D

Have fun,

Mal.