[NL2-NL10] nl10 sh AA facing flop raise 3bet pot

• DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BTN: $15.63 (156.3 bb)
      Hero (SB): $10.83 (108.3 bb)
      BB: $10.40 (104 bb)
      UTG: $14.73 (147.3 bb)
      MP: $12.87 (128.7 bb)
      CO: $10 (100 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A A
      3 folds, BTN raises to $0.20, Hero raises to $0.70, BB folds, BTN calls $0.50

Flop: ($1.50) 6 2 Q (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.70, BTN raises to $1.80, Hero calls $1.10

Turn: ($5.10) 2 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN checks

River: ($5.10) K (2 players)
      Hero bets $2.60, BTN folds

Results:
      $5.10 pot ($0.23 rake)
      Final Board: 6 2 Q 2 K
      BTN mucked and lost (-$2.50 net)
      Hero mucked A A and won $4.87 ($2.37 net)

very curious about what to do in this spot. OOP really sucks but what should i do on this flop? i think i'm just gunna get owned if i cbet and fold to a raise here every time. what are your thoughts about this? i know there are problems on turns and rivers but it's such a dry flop. with that said, if he has a hand here it's almost always QQ which just kills me.

ott i planned to check call again and probably fold a river, but maybe by that logic i should be check/folding the turn. however we can take that further and say if i plan to call the raise on the flop and check/fold the turn then i should just bet/fold the flop which takes us all the way back to getting owned when doing this all the time..
  • 4 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi DrDunne,

Preflop: looks fine

Postflop: Since villain can potentially play Qx like this and there are very few hands that beat us I would simply call and give him a chance to continue bluffing/valuebetting on the turn.

As played we do still beat KQ on the river (if he ever has that) so betting for value is fine.

Unless we face the biggest nit we should never bet/fold on this type of flop in a 3-bet pot.
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      so on a dry flop we go broke because it's difficult for villain to flop a set/2pair, and on a wetter flop we want to go broke because villain is likely to have a ton of draws and we want to get the money in while we are a favourite?

also once he flats i expect him to have a tight range of 88-JJ and AQ MAYBE KQs as well but it's difficult to say. while it is standard to go broke in his shoes with QQ i think it's very possible for him to have called instead with QQ as well and once he raises this flop then i'm not sure what to do. i mean i think he calls the flop with AQ or KQ, raises QQ (and slowplayed KK if he ever does this) and probably plays pretty honestly in a 3bet pot with the rest of his range which missed.

so is your plan bet/call flop, check/call turn and check/call a bricked river? or are you just shipping this flop? i don't understand shipping it since i don't see what weaker hand will call.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      In a spot where villain reps little we can't fold unless we face a nite.

In a spot where villain can rep a lot of worse hands (like on a wet board) we can't fold either.

Our plan here should bet to ck/call, ck/ship turn imo. If he bets the turn he is not going away with his 1p type hands.
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      thanks!