Bad plays

• diversfx
      diversfx
      Silver
      Why is it we make bad plays,even when we know it's a bad play? What I am talking about is calling 2nd pr when we are 80% sure we are beat,raising flush draws when we know V is not going to fold etc. Why is it sometimes we just cannot let go of those marginal hands? And what goes thru your mind when you do it anyway.
  • 6 replies
    • feursturm
      feursturm
      Bronze
      Have been asking myself that question all night here so I know what you are talking about.

As to the answer not a clue so I hope some more enlightened being can come up with it here!! In my case it was like tilt..I knew I should fold but had seen various fish raise/cbet with so much junk I could have beaten if I stayed in the hand with hands I had folded...but hey, my AA/KK/AK got hammered by 32s/QJS/A6o when I did stay in the hand...

Maybe it's just a case of swallowing your pride and giving them the pot if they tell you your beat with their bets?? Listening to that voice in your head.... or intuition... that's screaming danger...fold??
    • henrikov
      henrikov
      Bronze
      If you think you are beaten and anyway call/raise instead of fold then I have a thing that works for me (at least sometimes). I have started to get up from the chair and time out the hand instead of pushing the fold button. Is sounds strange, but I have much harder to push fold button compare to time out.
    • bennisboy
      bennisboy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by henrikov
      If you think you are beaten and anyway call/raise instead of fold then I have a thing that works for me (at least sometimes). I have started to get up from the chair and time out the hand instead of pushing the fold button. Is sounds strange, but I have much harder to push fold button compare to time out.
      Time out has saved me many a time in fast fold!

But I think it's just an experience thing. You'll start to learn when you have to make a hard laydown. At the micro stakes, my edge is not in the marginal spots, I don't think anyone's is cos micros are a bit crazy.

So what's helping me is thinking to myself "is it really worth calling off half my stack when I can very often be behind here? No, the money I save here I can get in the middle in time when I know I'm ahead."

It seems to be working
    • maythany
      maythany
      Bronze
      1 word: Ego
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      OMG genius! :heart:
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      :f_o: why have i never thought of this.... =)