[STRATEGY] Draw Hands

• Vevusio
      Vevusio
      Bronze
      well alright, since i cant post in the strategy forums yet, another thing i was wondering about was this statement in the beginners article "how to play post flop" about draw hands

code:
      IF YOU DID NOT RAISE, DRAWS ARE WORTHLESS HANDS

If you did not raise pre-flop but only got a freeplay in the big blind, your draws are considered worthless. You check and muck your cards as soon as anybody else bets. As tempting as it may seem, in this situation it simply isn't worth playing your cards. 

first, does "freeplay in the big blind" mean you simply checked? or that you limped the big blind?

and second, if my hole cards were a suited A2, maybe i simply dont want to raise but see what the flop holds and then it turns out to be a flush draw

why is my draw hand worthless then? whats the big difference in having raised pre flop or not in this case
  • 2 replies
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Hello Vevusio,

A freeplay in the big blind means you were in the big-blind (so had to post) and there were no raises before you - you checked - and were able to see a free flop.

In this unraised pot in which you did not voluntarily invest any money in you do not want to play your draws aggressively. According to the SSS you will never get into situations as the one you described with A2s because you will either raise or fold pre-flop (there is next to no limping/calling with SSS). As a shortstack you simply lack the proper implied odds for "looking" at a flop without actually raising pre-flop.

Hope to have answered your questions :)

Best regards,
      SoyCD
    • Vevusio
      Vevusio
      Bronze
      ah, that got me a little confused, i was pretty sure that article was dealing with general poker strategy and not a specific one

ofc i would fold with A2s on SSS, the pre-flop hand chart is pretty clear on the starting hands so no questions there and it also makes sense if the same situation occurs with a AKs

i didnt know that all the basic articles were dealing with short stack strategy :)

so anyway, thanks for your replie(s)