Can you....

• DamtixT
      DamtixT
      Bronze
      Hey guys, I have a quick question for the gurus at PokerStrategy.

Basically, me and my 17 year old son are very keen poker players, we talk poker pretty much 24/7.

And even though quite frankly I don't really want him playing poker for various reasons, I can't really tell him not to, since that would be hypocrytical.

So anyway, we knew about this site for a while, but my son asked me not to register here, because he wanted to as soon as he turned 18 - which I thought was fair enough. We're both decent enough players wanting to hit it big sooner rather than later. My temptation of getting the $150 for free got the better of me though.

The question is this though: would he be able to sign up to this site again with his own details when he turns 18, and then sign up to a poker client (like Full TIlt using the PS150 code...(He doesn't expect the $150 bonus) because he's going to deposit $600 of his birthday money in one of the sites, but he just wants to be tracked by PokerStrategy.....so he could gain the Gold level etc etc

Is that possible ?
  • 10 replies
    • Velak
      Velak
      Bronze
      I don't work here, so keep that in mind.

I don't see why they wouldn't let your son sign up when he turns 18. So long as he can pass their ID verification steps, (Proving he is a human being, his address, etc.. )

I'd actually like to know the answer to this as well, since I have a partner interested in poker as well, although she doesn't have as much time to play as I do, she watches me all the time, and would definitely sign up with an affiliate when she does sign up. It would be great if she could start out her online poker journey the same way I did, with a free $50.. etc.

Regarding his immediately dumping $600 onto a site (like full tilt)... unless he already knows he's a winning player, with stats over many thousands (or hundreds of thousands) of hands to prove it, I'd discourage this idea, and let him start out with less risk, and build from there.

Of course, I don't know you or him, your skills, your financial situations, or if $600 is a lot to you, or if it's not even enough money to tip a waitress with.. so, take my thoughts for what they're worth to you. :D

Regardless of the $$$ amounts though, it's important to build upon strong fundamentals.

Good Skill to you both!
    • Chiller3k
      Chiller3k
      Bronze
      Hi DamtixT,

of course your son will also be able to regiser and receive the 50$ starting capital. But maybe he will have to send his ID.
      If your son wants to play at the same site as you I think it's best to ask the support of the poker site first if they allow two accounts per household.
      Regarding his planed deposit:
      I would advice your son not to deposit (and risk) his own money. He can start with our 50$ and build a bankroll. Since some players overestimate themselfs and loose a lot of money. He should just play a little bit with the 50$ and get used to online poker. It's not a good idea to start at the higher limits.
      And maybe your son should also take into acount that at most of our partner sites he won't be able to use a first deposit bonus if he gets his 50$ SC there.

Best regards,
      Chiller3k
    • DamtixT
      DamtixT
      Bronze
      Thanks for the replies guys - much appreciated.

Regarding him depositing the $600. I must admit I have my objections, but he'll be a grown up and he is quite responsible, so if that what he wants to spend his birthday money on, I can't really stop him. I have tried to discourage him, but he says he wants to prove to himself whether there's any point of carrying on with poker or he should start concentrating on other things. He hasn't got a job so $600 is a lot to him but oh well.

He has played a little bit under my supervision, to try and prove a point in front of me, and he has won quite a bit of money...a $352 first place finish in a $8, just an example.

I'm sure I've read somewhere it's one bonus per household, and having already spoken to Full Tilt where their TCs state that it's one account per person, not per household...He's eligible to join them.

Quite honestly, I think the First Deposit Bonus is more valuable to him because he'll be getting $600 for free. But he also wants to "supervision" of PokerStrategy, because the articles here and the videos (which are unfortunately only available after gaining points on Full Tilt) seem to be very helpful indeed.
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Hello DamtixT,

There is nothing that speaks against your son, or multiple people from the same household being registered at PokerStrategy. There is also nothing wrong with him using the first deposit bonus instead of receiving the starting $50+$100 at Full Tilt - although it is also ok for him to receive the starting capital at some other site AND to use the first deposit option at Full Tilt. Sites like Mansion for example allow you to receive both starting capital + first deposit bonus.

I would definitely recommend to both of you to constantly work on your game and never be satisfied with how good you are. Even if he has had some successes already - he should beat the lower limits and move up step by step.

Best regards,
      SoyCD
    • DamtixT
      DamtixT
      Bronze
      A very satisfying reply SoyCD, I've had designed a fairly strict Bankroll Management chart for me and him, and I'll have him stick to it to try and beat the low levels and try and move up from there.

Thank you very much for your reply, sir.

P.S. I have told him to limit to playing on one site, but after reading your post, I think it might be a good idea for him to register at Full Tilt for the Deposit Bonus, and maybe at PokerStars for the $50 and have him work his way up from there.

One question arises from this though: How would his progress be tracked, I mean will he have a choice of what site to track him on ?

EDIT: Oh and I forgot to mention this, but the reason he wants to start with $600 is because he asked Phil Ivey on one of the Pro Chats on Full Tilt how did he start his career, and Phil Ivey replied with $500 and a well designed bankroll management plan.
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Hi again,

Its good that you will make him aware of BRM as it is most likely the most important aspect of successful poker career :)

As for the tracking of his progress - there is no limit as to how many sites he can play tracked on. We have players that have tracked accounts on nearly all of our Partner sites. The list of our available partnersites can be found on the "home" page.

As for Phil Iveys statement - I can only agree that $500 and a good BRM plan is more than enough to start a career on - but then again next to all of our BlackMembers and current highrollers did the same thing from $50 as well. Its all about willpower and discipline :)

Best regards,
      SoyCD
    • Velak
      Velak
      Bronze
      Originally posted by DamtixT
      But he also wants to "supervision" of PokerStrategy, because the articles here and the videos (which are unfortunately only available after gaining points on Full Tilt) seem to be very helpful indeed.
      Actually, PokerStrategy points can be accumulated via play on other sites as well, not just Full Tilt. Any of the partner sites here will get you strategy points, so long as your account is tracked, and you sign up with the proper codes and all.

blatantly stolen from information Originally posted by SoyCD on numerous occasions

PokerStars
      PartyPoker
      Titan
      Full Tilt
      Mansion

Use one of our first deposit offers at a site which you do not yet possess an account yet. The list of sites can be found on the "Home Page" or below:

Titan Poker 200% up to $600 bonus!
      PokerStars 100% up to $100 bonus!
      PartyPoker 30% up to $150 bonus!
      Full Tilt Poker 100% up to $600 bonus!
      Mansion Poker 100% up to $500 bonus!
      Everest Poker Up to $200 bonus!
      888.com PacificPoker 125% up to $475 bonus!
      Unibet Poker Up to 40% loyalty bonus every month!
      PokerKings 100% up to 500€ bonus!
      InterPoker 100% up to $500 bonus!
      Ladbrokespoker 100% up to $1,000
      Betfair 100% up to $1,500

For some of these such as Titan it is also a possibility to retrack you existing account.

• Velak
      Velak
      Bronze
      oops.. didn't realize Soy was responding at the same time I was typing that up. :D

Oh well, good info all the same!
    • DamtixT
      DamtixT
      Bronze
      Yeah thanks for that Velak.

By the way, I like the quote in your signature.
    • Chiller3k
      Chiller3k
      Bronze
      most of the blackmemebers started even with 5$, SoyCD :rolleyes: