[NL2-NL10] NL5 FF Pocket 9s

• JimmyChooEsq
      JimmyChooEsq
      Bronze
      Good morning!

I'm pondering over this hand and would love a second opinion.

Party, $0.02/$0.04 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

CO: $5.36 (134 bb)
      Hero (BTN): $7.41 (185.3 bb)
      UTG: $2.62 (65.5 bb)
      SB: $7.34 (183.5 bb)
      MP: $5.33 (133.3 bb)
      BB: $1.76 (44 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with 9 9
      3 folds, Hero raises to $0.16, SB calls $0.14, BB calls $0.12

Flop: ($0.48) T Q 8 (3 players)
      SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets $0.36, SB calls $0.36, BB folds

Turn: ($1.20) 5 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.57, SB raises to $1.14, Hero folds

Results:
      $2.34 pot ($0.11 rake)
      Final Board: T Q 8 5
      Hero mucked 9 9 and lost (-$1.09 net)
      SB mucked and won $2.23 ($1.14 net)

Pre flop, I raise to my standard button bet sizing.
      I interpret the checks on the flop to be misses and I get the BB to fold with my 3/4 pot opening.
      The check raise on the turn has me confused. With only 3 hands against him, I've guessed his range as 55+, ATs+, KQs, AQo.

Should I have bet bigger on the Turn?

Thanks,
      Jimmy
  • 2 replies
    • yougotfelted51
      yougotfelted51
      Bronze
      i would likely just check back flop.

it is unlikely we get both players to fold, and if they call, we are unlikely to have the best hand. i would just hope to get to cheap showdown in this spot/catch a jack

as played, if you plan on barreling the turn, i would make it bigger (.90).

by betting small like we did, we appear weak (as a quality hand would always bet the turn big) and open ourselves up to getting check raised by hands even worse then ours, against which we cant continue
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey JimmyChooEsq,

Originally posted by JimmyChooEsq
      I interpret the checks on the flop to be misses
      A very common occurrence is for players to check to the preflop-raiser even when they hit the board. True maybe one of your opponents might bet if he was really strong i.e a set or QT, but a lot of other hands will go for a check/call line even if they have a nice draw.

There are a lot of ways your opponents could have hit this board and I don't think they are necessarily folding enough for a cbet to be profitable. The hands that will fold out are things like 22-88 which you beat anyway. I'd probably check back the flop.

Cbet isn't terrible seeing as you protect your hand somewhat. When you get called I wouldn't bet at all on the turn though.