Bankroll Management

• DamtixT
      DamtixT
      Bronze
      Hey guys, sorry to post this here, but I can't post in any of the other sections yet, and I thought this would be a good question to ask while waiting for my bonus to come through.

What kind of BankRoll Management do you guys find works the best, by that I mean how many buy ins for cash games, STTs and MTTs etc.

I have designed a basic bankroll management chart, and would like your opinions so I can make neccessary amendments:

20x the maximum buy in for No Limit Cash Games, e.g. 0.10/0.25 where the maximum buy in is $25 would require a bankroll of $500.

40x the buy in for STTs

and 60x the buy in for MTTs

Also, move down a level after 3 consecutive losing sessions in Cash Games.
      Move up a level after 5 consecutive winning sessions.
      And quit the table when I've trippled up.

Opinions welcome...

Thank you
  • 6 replies
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Hello DamtixT,

The BRM guidelines recommended by us can be found in the articles - and are a tad more conservative. Your cashgame BRM should also depend on whether you are playing SH or FR and on how variance heavy your style of play is. You should also try to set limits not only for when you move up a new limit but also down (so more precise than just "losing" sessions")

It is also important that the "looser" your BRM is the more strict you need to be with forcing yourself to move down a limit.

The PS.com BRM article suggest 30 Buyins as a good basis for BRM (and moving down once you have 30 buyins of the next lower limit) - although we have players that use looser or tighter BRM. TribunCaesar for example plays with 40-50 Buyin BRM while Kaitz stated in his thread that he plays 25 buy-in BRM - and moves down whenever he has reached 20 buyins. This is already quite loose - and unless you are playing FR I would advise against such 'aggressive BRM"

For STT I would say 50 buyins - and MTTs 100 buyins.

Yet as I said the most important thing is being able to move down :)

Best regards,
      SoyCD
    • darkonebg
      darkonebg
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hello and wellcome to the site.
      Once your bonus arrives, you will have acess to the articles, and enough of them will explain the bankroll management (shortly BRM) needed to be successeful at poker without risking going broke.
      Before you think of a bankroll though, you should choose a game format that suits you. There is plenty of choice - NL SSS(recommended for new players), NL BSS,FL, SnGs or so. Every format has its own bankroll management, and his own strategies for when to leave the table and so on.
      Enjoy staying here!
    • DamtixT
      DamtixT
      Bronze
      Thanks guys for the two replies :)

SoyCD, could you possible show me a link to that BRM article please ?
    • Vevusio
      Vevusio
      Bronze
      i think he meant this one

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/fixed-limit/250/
    • DamtixT
      DamtixT
      Bronze
      Thanks Vevusio,

But that's for Fixed Limit...I'm more of a No Limit Cash Games / STT / MTT player :)
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Hello DamtixT,

The basic BRM articles can be found here:

SNG: http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/sng/618/
      No-Limit: http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/no-limit/825/

the No-Limit one applies to SSS though and not to playing with a Full Stack. The big stack strategy article is as of bronze status and although it actually states 20 buyins there - 30 is much better especially if you are playing SH.

Best regards,
      SoyCD