This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] Nl4 Sh: Jj Oop

• acetbfish
      acetbfish
      Bronze
      No hud. The villain is a reg who raises a lot from the Co and the Button and folds a lot to 3bets.

Party No-Limit Hold'em, $0.04 BB (5 handed) - Party Converter Tool from http://www.flopturnriver.com

Button ($4.27)
      UTG ($4)
      BB ($5.01)
      MP ($4)
      Hero (SB) ($4.24)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J, J
      1 fold, MP bets $0.12, 1 fold, Hero calls $0.10, 1 fold

Flop: ($0.28) 5, 4, 9 (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP bets $0.18, Hero raises $0.48, MP raises $0.96, Hero raises $3.64 (All-In)

I had a lot of history with this guy since I 3bet him really a lot when he is raising from the button and he almost always folds. In the previous hand he raised from the button, the sb called and I squeezed, making both of them to fold. So, I couldn't find any value 3betting him knowing that he only continues with better hands.

How is my play here? Is this move +ev?
  • 3 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi Acetbfish,

Preflop: If he was indeed folding a ton calling may be a better play.

Postflop: So what exactly do we get value from ck/raising and stacking off on this flop?

TT? Maybe A9? What else? Some fds that have about 50% equity versus us?
    • acetbfish
      acetbfish
      Bronze
      I gave him a calling range on my shove : 99+,55-44,A9s,K9s,54s,A9o,K9o,Qh9h,Jh9h,Th9h,8h7h,7h6h,3h2h.

The thing is that I thought I could get a light call from him (with hands like 109,J9,Q9) because of the history we had and since he might consider me as a aggro monkey.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by acetbfish
      I gave him a calling range on my shove : 99+,55-44,A9s,K9s,54s,A9o,K9o,Qh9h,Jh9h,Th9h,8h7h,7h6h,3h2h.

The thing is that I thought I could get a light call from him (with hands like 109,J9,Q9) because of the history we had and since he might consider me as a aggro monkey.
      So if you thought that because you 3-bet him a lot he would pay you off light we can use the same logic to say that he may call you light (or shove light) preflop after you 3-bet him yet again.

I think you are using "wishful" thinking here when we raise. I doubt we will get him to stack off that light and we are just turning our raise into a super thin raise. If you had a hand like QQ it would be different but like this we beat a few pairs and lose to all his overpairs and sets and flip (or so) versus his draws.